Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • One for the 'togs out there – what monopod?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m after a monopod, mainly for use shooting bikes but also for large indoor events where high ISOs are the norm. I’ll be using a Nikon DX DSLR and a lens no bigger than a 70-200 f/2.8.

I’ve already got a Gorillapod with a Joby head which I’m fine to repurposing, but am actually more than happy to bolt straight onto the monopod for landscape work.

I’m also 6ft of pure STW desk jockey muscle. 😉

Currently looking at a Manfrotto 680b – any other suggestions?

midlifecrashes

At 6ft will the monopod bring the viewfinder to eye level? Maybe with the Jobo head? It would annoy me to have to crouch for long periods, and the extra height could help in a crowd too. NOthing against manfrotto though, I have a 20+ year old 055 that is as good as the day it was bought, despite use as building prop, speaker stand and stool.

ninfan
    Free Member

I used to have a monopod, ooh, nearly twenty years ago, that I am sure was a manfrotto – bottom half was solid with an upper that raised, two piece

Seriously, it was built strong enough to club a bear to death with.

It went missing in a house move, and I have long sought to replace it, but never seen anything of a quality enough to replace it.

sands
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    Currently looking at a Manfrotto 680b – any other suggestions?

midlifecrashes – Member
    At 6ft will the monopod bring the viewfinder to eye level?

It looks like the maximum height of the 680B is 1.54m

I have an ancient 3-section Manfrotto 134B (‘bear-killer’ © ninfan) which goes to 1.64m without a head. I’m also 6ft and wouldn’t want it much lower.

I’m definitely a Manfrotto fan (tripods = n plus 1).
    However, my ‘go to’ monopod is a 5-section Giottos which goes to 1.90m.

With the 1.90m Giottos, four* of the five sections will do for most situations when also using a quick-release ball-head.
    Using all five sections, the extra height is useful if you are on an incline (or standing on something) with the base of the monopod below your feet.

*Use the largest diameter ones, because they’re stiffer.

For indoor events (I.e. no gear bag) I’d recommend the Gitzo GC5330 monopod holster which clips over your belt. (Combined with a piece of elastic around the monopod / your leg.)

Opinion: Manfrotto, but longer.

HTH

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Cheers Sands – that’s really useful.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

OK, I’ve thrown caution to the wind and ordered one from 7DayShop for a fiver. Extends to 170cm and has very good reviews both on Amazon and 7DayShop.

If it’s that terrible I’ll write it off as the cost of two pints (including postage) and buy a Manfrotto.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘One for the 'togs out there – what monopod?’ is closed to new replies.