Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • One do it all bike, are there any frames I've missed from list here…
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

I’m after one bike that will do it all for me and I’d love the Tripster but I can’t afford it.

I’ve got on my list of frames so far

Genesis Croix De Fer
    Cotic Escapde
    Charge Plug (possibly)

I would like a more relaxed geometry feel and prefer steel. I’m 6ft 3 and bit but not quite 4. Any other recommendations?

Also whilst I think of it, What rims should I look at, I have a pair of Hope Pro 2 evo’s I may want rebuilding onto a disc specific rim but not sure what rim. Or I was looking at the Kinesis CX wheelset?

Thanks

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Norco Search S1?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/search-s1-2015-adventure-road-bike-ec072575

I’m having similar thoughts at the moment – there’s a lot of choice, especially if you consider alloy frames as well…

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Sorry – just re-read that, you’re after frames rather than bikes. Not sure Norco available as frames only in this country..

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’d consider a full bike and then just change what I don’t like and sell the parts.

jeffl

Cheap London Road. Yeah I know it’s not steel but you said you’d prefer it not that it was mandatory 🙂

edit: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-planet-x-london-road-frmaeset-for-150/page/7

drewd

Transition rapture?

Incidentally I have a charge plug 3 and rate it for what it is.

kcal

Stooge?

epicyclo

Surly 1×1

london_lady
    Free Member

Niner RLT steel 🙂

brassneck

Isn’t there an Alu Tripster coming out? Got to be worth a look at least

padkinson
    Free Member

Niner RLT 9? Comes in steel too, a gorgeous bike

stumpy01

Kinesis Racelight T2?

nickdavies

Isn’t there an Alu Tripster coming out? Got to be worth a look at least

It’s out isn’t it (if this is what you mean?)

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1768320/products/kinesis-tripster-ace-disc-complete-bike.aspx

Gee76
    Free Member

Have a look at the Jamie Renegade. There’s a steel version due soon. Very good value, very relaxed and stable, clearance for 40mm tyres, detachable stealth rack/guard mounts and just got glowing reports on road.cc to boot

Oh and yes I’ve got one too 🙂

Gee76
    Free Member

…oh and they’re about 1cm extra long in the top tube too so the fit is good for us tall uns (without having to get all gate like) I went for a large with a 57cm TT and I’m 6ft 2in if it helps.

steezysix
    Free Member

Specialized AWOL comp should be available as a frame and it’s awesome!

lunge

PX Kaffenback? Cheap, heavy and a bit dull to ride but very, very versatile.

ben98
    Free Member

Surly straggler, or cross check

The tire clearance on the plug is pretty limited in the rear, probs maximum 32c knoblies.

shermer75
    Free Member

You can’t get much more versatile than a Surly Ogre

Link

OCB
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya perhaps? They come in lots of sizes. (or the Warbird if you don’t want/need steel & rack eyelets).

I’ve been very happy with my Mavic A719 rims, but I think I’ll almost certainly go with DTSwiss XR331 rims for my next (dynamo-hub’d wheels).

amedias
    Free Member

+1 AWOL

got mine a couple of weeks ago, slowly falling in love with it 🙂

Basil

Is’nt a Vaya a good value option?
    Vaya
    This is no way a advert for the one I’m selling for £550 size 60cm

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Aw disappointed, opened this expecting it to be about mtbs, what with it being ‘singletrack’ and all. 🙁

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

Kona Sutra!?

Because its a great name…

teadrinker
    Free Member

Aw disappointed, opened this expecting it to be about mtbs, what with it being ‘singletrack’ and all.

🙄

igm

Singular Gryphon worth a look?

teadrinker
    Free Member

Went with A Pinnacle Arkose 4 frameset in the end from Evans

The frameset cost £325 from Evans and then I’ve got Ritchey finishing kit, Ultegra CX drivetrain, TRP Spyre disc brakes and Hope Pro 2 Evo’s on Mavic Open Pro to finish it off. Should all be finished by friday, cannot wait. Really looking forward to this and fingers crossed a little jaunt up to Thetford soon to try it out up there, then I’m up at Rutland Water for a few days so hopefully will be able to take this with me (family break).

Thanks for all your offerings etc. Will post a pic no doubt when it’s finished.

andylc
    Free Member

I keep accidentally clicking on this thinking it might be interesting then finding it’s about bloody CX bikes….

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’m sorry your memory is so awful andy.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thing is, these new cx bikes are great for the kind of off-road riding that most real people have access to. They’re fast on the road, they’re at home on all sorts of tracks and trails, and they’re a fun challenge when it gets a bit more technical.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Exactly, not everyone needs a mountain bike where they live, I don’t. Doesn’t mean I don’t like going offroad or getting out into the countryside. It just means this style of bike suits me better. If I lived back in the lake district then I’d buy another mtb, as I live on the Essex/Suffolk Border I don’t find the need for one.

mancalledaaron1
    Free Member

I’ve got a Soma Double Cross Disc frame for sale.

ransos
    Free Member

I keep accidentally clicking on this thinking it might be interesting then finding it’s about bloody CX bikes….

The thread title is “one do it all bike”. A mountain bike does not fit that description.

MadBillMcMad

after doing a 90km offroad loop in the Dales last Sunday, I would choose either a Fat bike or a 29+.

I was on a Fatty & a mate was on a Surly Krampus & that flew up & down everything. I only add the Fat as an option as you could just stick 29+ tyres on it to make it multipurpose.

The Fatty more than coped with all the Dalkes could throw at it.

andylc
    Free Member

I can cycle over everything on my mountain bike. I can also go over jumps, big drop-offs, singletrack and on the road it’s not the most fun thing in the world but it’s perfectly fine. Matter of semantics I guess but that makes it a more do it all bike than anything else I might care to ride.
    Wouldn’t mind trying out a CX bike though. I would be more keen to get one of them than a hardtail mtb.

ransos
    Free Member

I can cycle over everything on my mountain bike.

Mine doesn’t take proper mudguards or a pannier rack, so it’s pretty much useless for commuting.

A CX type bike is the closest fit for “a bit of everything”.

andylc
    Free Member

Good point, didn’t think of that! Having said that a 22 mile commute each way with 1000 feet of climbing on the way home doesn’t really appeal anyway, I’m far too lazy!

igm

A 21 mile commute with 600 foot of climbing is fine (42, 1200 round trip)

Must be that 400 foot in the last mile that’s killing. 😉

andylc
    Free Member

The last 6-7 miles have all the climbing, and I don’t know how bad it is because I haven’t tried! (and not going to either).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘One do it all bike, are there any frames I've missed from list here…’ is closed to new replies.