Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • On One 456 complete with XT
  • Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I’m thinking about buying a new complete steel hardtail. The On One looks pretty good.

Has anybody ridden one or got any opinions?

nickf
    Free Member

They’re great – good value, nice ride, excellent service. Not light though, if that’s your concern.

I (plus wife and kids) have 4, so money is firmly where mouth is on this one.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Thanks nick

bikeryder85
    Free Member

Andy, I’ve owned one for going on 3 years now and I’m going to agree with nick about the weight, but for the money they are spot on. With 130mm u-turns I think it rides fantastic, the geometry is well sorted and the ride quality is fine with low tire pressure + large volume. There are def better frames out there, but not at this price and I’d reckon it beats out slightly higher priced competition as well. Like I said, weight aside, a great ride with great geometry thats alot of fun, just not the best choice if you’re concerned about how light a bike is.

hope this helps! 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

as above, I’ve had mine for nearly 4 years now. Very nice geometry, joy to ride.Not a bike for a weight weenie as the frame is something like 5.5lbs.

Inbred is pretty similar and lighter if you don’t want the full travel options.

Plenty of other bikes around but nothing matches it on price. Search on here as the alternatives get discussed all the time.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback

FOG

nickf was that you at Kirroughtree last week?
    There was a family parked near to us who had an improbable number of on-ones [4 I think] and a really nice dog that looked like it was well up for a day on the trail.

richardoftod

I ride the One-one 456 with Fox Vanilla R 140mm Coil Sprung fork. As the others say not the lightest but a comfortable all day ride, I find it wanders on steep climbs as my fork doesn’t lock down, I run a Hope 90mm Stem which may be a tad long, my previous hardtails have all been 100mm forks so it may also be my climbing technique! Downhill it really flies, I think the fork makes the difference here. I built mine up following a review against the Orange P7 (which won the test but only due to the Fox Vanilla Fork), the On-One on the test had a RockShox fork fitted. I run mine with a 9sp XT drivetrain, which is faultless. I have just upgraded to a Hope BB, when my XT gave up the ghost after 18 months of riding. The paint is pretty good, a few wear points showing but not excessive rust. I waxoyled the inside of the frame, no signs of rust when the BB was changed.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The 456 is a spectacularly brilliant bike for the money. Actually they’re brilliant irrespective of the price! I’ve had a couple over the years and love my current one to bits.

Running a mix of XT, SLX, wide-ish bars, short stem, 100-130mm Revs and pretty bomb proof Pro2 / 321 wheels. It’s not heavy by any means – you don’t feel it at all. I couldn’t recommend a bike higher – and they’re a great company to deal with too.

I have to say that I couldn’t tell the difference between On One’s steel and supposedly better quality variants too, so save your money and spend it on shiny bits to hang off it, or beer and curry… 🙂

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Thanks again guys, will be ordering tomorrow… Blue or Pink??

Northwind

Not that big a fan of the 456 myself, it’s got good geometry and decent handling but there’s something a bit flat and uninspiring about them IMO. Workmanlike’s not a bad thing but it doesn’t shine.

That said, those packages are seriously good. Look at what you get from Orange for the same…

richardoftod

Mine is in Blue, a few pictures of it on my Twitter @RichardOfTod. XT Group set, Hope and Easton finishing kit and Mavic717s on Hope ProII Hubs. Matches my VW van which is also blue!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘On One 456 complete with XT’ is closed to new replies.