Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • OMG – its been ordered!
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Can’t wait !!!

wwaswas

it’s going to be the endless Kinesis posts all over again isn’t it?

😉

looks fast. (and even says it, so your legs will have to be up to it!)

foxyrider
    Free Member

ooooh cutting WW – No I promise 8)

Yes the question is can I do it justice – Training has started 🙂

However I still love my Kinesis 😉 LOL

stumpy01

Nice! I like that.
    I take it that’s a carbon rear end?

What’s that thing on the top of the driveside chainstay….?

sefton
    Free Member

ohhh – something different 😀

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Looks nice, 100mm XC or more 120 trail?

foxyrider
    Free Member

All carbon and Ti bolts etc.

Its a combo chainstay guard and cable router – has a BB bash guard/drain hole and a down tube bash protector.

100mm race machine – well gonna try and do more marathons next year i.e. 60-100Km) as well as Lejog (not on this I might add)!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

26er?

Pyro

Stumpy – pipe for gear cable routing?

looks nice.

foxyrider
    Free Member
    sefton
    Free Member

weight?

foxyrider
    Free Member

On paper 2150g (with shock etc) quoted for Medium I think.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Hmmm, that is nice, “only” 1kg penalty for FS so a non bank-breaking build should come in at 24Lbs/sub 11kg.

Their whole FS range seems to resemble Trek quite a lot, (not a bad thing). Unusual bike.

Build kit/plans?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Is to be built with stuff I have collected / bought over the last 6 months (this is me being patient!!!)

Ritchy low rise carbon bars, XT drive train (3×10), Fox F100’s, Hope Stem & Seatpost, Fulcrum Red Metal 1 XL…

kaesae
    Free Member

That isn’t as very good design, sorry foxy but you would be better riding around on an ostrich!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg87-uwIy54[/video]

YEEHAA!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bit like the Orange Five then? Felt good when I test rode it Kaesae 🙄

I expect you’ll say they use crap bearings next?

kaesae
    Free Member

Yeah, if your going from an Orange 5 to that then it will be like a time machine from the 90’s to 2004/5, however that design is about 5 years out of date and will not compete with a Trek, Giant or a few other bikes.

You will not have the tunability of a lot of other frames, but with three pivots it is reasonably simple.

Back at ya sweetie 😳 😥 🙄

wwaswas

have you two got history?

foxyrider posts a new frame in a burst of excitement.

people make various ‘oooh’ noises and admire it.

kaesae turns up and (metaphorically) spits on it.

just wondering why, really?

stumpy01

You will not have the tunability of a lot of other frames, but with three pivots it is reasonably simple.

How so? How is this frame less tunable than other frames?
    Most other frames are a fixed design like this one and a lot of the suspension performance as I understand it depends on the shock tune/set-up.

So long as that shock has the usual twiddly knobs, how is it less tunable?

LoCo
    Free Member

Nice, like it, also looks fast 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

No history really – but Kaesae is quite opinionistic (arn’;t we all) 😉 And is very passionate about his bearings! I don’t think it was a personal jibe 🙂

But I agree with Stumpy – a lot of the performance of most suspension designs is modified buy the shock – The idea of the rear triangle on the Edict is you reduce trail rumble by the flex in the carbon stays and then the stays and shock consumes the bigger hits thus being a more responsive system?

From the horses mouth the theory is:

“FAST takes cues from the single-pivot suspension design that performance-minded XC riders favor because of light weight and reliability, and optimizes this tried-and-true system with a few new twists. It utilizes a set of carbon fiber stays that flex evenly throughout the suspension travel, providing performance characteristics that mimic much more complicated suspension systems—but without the extra weight and complexity.”

I was using the comparison of the Five as its a very popular and lovely riding bike and again is a truely single pivot.

wwaswas

looks fine to me – as you say, relies on flex in the stays to allow pivoting, like the scalpel and it’s a short travel frame so that’s fine.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Looks ace and so good in the flesh. They had one in the new Evans Cycles at the National Cycle Centre/Velodrome in Manchester when I was in earlier today. They also have a very nicely built Niner Air which was dripping in kit with a price tag to match. Not sure what sort of clientell other than the bmx kids they’re expecting through those doors but some very fancy kit available.

Should look great when finished, all black stealth?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

relies on flex in the stays to allow pivoting

Does it? Looks like a single-pivot with a link-driven shock to me?

Very nice BTW.

foxyrider
    Free Member

All black except the drive train 🙂

Not wanting to quote script but:

Felt Active Stay Technology is a lightweight active suspension system created specifically for XC riding and racing. Featuring a lightweight, stiff carbon fiber rear triangle that doubles as a secondary spring to reduce unwanted bob without sacrificing small-bump compliance.

For more info?

http://www.feltbicycles.com/Australia/Single-Nav/Inside-Felt/Technology/Suspension.aspx

wwaswas

there’s no seat or chain stay pivot though, so the stays have to flex to allow movement.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Tiz both 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIh7_Jgji9c[/video]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good choice, better than that dull SC you were looking at

stumpy01

So it’s a ‘normal’ racy full sus, but the rear stays are designed with some flex/compliance to deal with vibration-type chatter stuff.
    I guess this means you can set the suspension up quite racy (firm), but you still get some vibration reducing comfort for enduro’s and what not.

Assuming it does what it says it does, that is….

stumpy01

wwaswas – Member

there’s no seat or chain stay pivot though, so the stays have to flex to allow movement.

Eh? No seat or chainstay pivot??

What’s that large pivoty looking thing above the BB??

wwaswas

at the rear of the frame.

FSR etc have a pivot by the rear drop out on the chainstay.

Kona etc who don’t want to pay for patent have one on or above the rear axle/drop out.

this has neither and relies on flex in the rear end to allow for the front bits to work.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup – sounds about right Stumpy – basically the one piece stay takes up the movement in the back wheel d.t. to trail rumble and peddling but still give you the ability to set the shock to what you want 🙂

When I test rode it I did feel (as I was out the saddle for most of it) there was no bob at all with the shock fully open whilst still taking out the trail chatter – except for some areas of small brake bumps!

Yes unlike the stumpy (which I used to have a while ago) it doesn’t have a pivot at the rear chain stay/seat stay – which I like – one less thing to service 🙂 Although I am assured that Stumpies rear bearings are much better sealed than they used to be 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not concerned by the physics.

Looks shiny!

I like. 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

So where does it flex? Could it be classed as a 3 bar or a 3.5bar suspension design?

jonspaker
    Free Member

Seems cool!
    thanks the great post.

njee20
    Free Member

I like that. Does look like a slightly older Trek (not in a bad way). Looks ‘right’.

Surprised it’s not a little bit lighter, that’s not astounding for racey FS frames these days, considering it’s got a full ti bolt kit.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Wow – resurrected 😉

No its not the lightest but if you read the blurb that was not their primary aim – light but not the lightest – more about function – the full builds are on their way apparently 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey look how much that bobbed when the rider pedalled 😉 (nice bike!)

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL – does look a bit bobby in that first cut away? Tssk

Frame only option is quoted as Feb 2012 aparently.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘OMG – its been ordered!’ is closed to new replies.