Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Old style headset (threaded) – looseness issues
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, my old Holdsworth, which I currently use in road fixed mode, has an eternally knocking headset.

No matter how tight i do it up (and lock, using the lockring), it’s either so tight it binds or instantly develops play.

Any idea? Just a need to replace the ball bearings, or is it all knackered, and I need to track down a suitable 1″ replacement.

Cheers

OMITN

cynic-al
    Free Member

FUBAR, replace.

timbur
    Free Member

Are you over tighening the bottom ring and then backing it up onto the top one once that’s tight agains’t it (it’ll make sense if you are)

If not then try that.

ourmaninthenorth

timbur – not tried that, but I can do. Lower race is knurled, rather than designed for a spanner.

I assume if it’s shot it’ll never lose the looseness, will it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

it’s either so tight it binds or instantly develops play

If you can’t adjust it properly it sounds wrecked. They normally notch when worn rather than bind, but I don’t think there’s anything you can do about either.

timbur
    Free Member

OK, sounds like a cheapie. Tighten the knurled one up. tighten the locknut up above it and then back the knurled one off holding the locknut one with a headset spanner so it doesn’t move. That’s how I was taught to do up an old style headset.

ourmaninthenorth

OK, sounds like a cheapie.

Lowest rent 1970s Holdsworth Equipe. Tubes made of gaspipe (lugged, for extra weight). But, the frame was free from a friend, and serves a purpose.

the plan is to make it a SS CX bike for a bit (see other thread on that), so I wanted to resolve the headset issue before going offroad.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

No missing washers or somesuch is there?

ourmaninthenorth

No missing washers or somesuch is there?

Not that I can tell.

I think it’s just old and knackered. Going to order some new bearings (9/16, I think) and see if that helps settle it down.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah I used to only just tighten mine, then tightening the lock ring would make it good.
    I think Velosolo do a nice high chrome 1″ headset at a good price.

cynic-al
    Free Member

5/32 is std IIRC, unlikely to help IME

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers all. Will have another crack at getting it tight, and then will have to take a view (i.e. if I CBA to put a new ‘set in an old shonky bike).

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you replace, remember there are 2 different stds for 1″ headsets – 26.4 vs 27.2 crown race.

ourmaninthenorth

cheers, al.

Given my limited time availability, this may a LBS job. Need to check out the LBS, tho – it’s changed hands since I last went there, when it was described by binners as “like Steptoe’s yard”.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Old style headset (threaded) – looseness issues’ is closed to new replies.