Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Oh no, a 'what shifters' question.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looking at some SLX 9 speed at £39.94 inc post. Are XT or XTR worth the extra dosh. I think I read a review that gave the SLX's 10/10. Anyone got em?

RealMan
    Free Member

I've got XT, and very happy with them.

But XTR apparently do have certain advantages that make it worth it.

njee20
    Free Member

You can adjust XTR more, they're lighter, and the shift is smoother. Whether that's worth the extra is up to you!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

xtr shifters were the first thing I specced on my bike I think they are that good (for the reasons njee mentions above, they are very aesthetic too). I got them unused second hand which makes it a little easier to justify though.

lowey

Just got some older model XT shifters from CRC for 39 for the pair incl cables. They have the dual action finger / thumb lever too. Very very happy with them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hmm, just looked & it would appear they have none left. Bugger.

BlingBling
    Free Member

I'd rather XTR shifters and XT rear mech than the other way around.

I got some in a sale though (about 50% off) and wouldn't want to pay full price.

chakaping
    Free Member

I'd rather XTR shifters and XT rear mech than the other way around.

Agreed, or X0 shifters and X9 mech – for Sram fans like me.

Shifters seem to have far more effect on shifting feel, perhaps unsurprisingly.

stumpyjon

Got XT on both my main bikes, upgraded the Stumplumper from LX to XT because I so preferred the feel and action over LX. Haven't used SLX so can't directly comment. I agree with the others though, biggest effect on shifting feel is due to the shifters so it's worth spending the money on them.

poppa
    Free Member

SLX shifters are more or less the same as XT but use cheaper materials. Should shift the same but one of the levers is plastic. I got 'em, like 'em. As to whether XT/XTR is worth the money, that is up to you!

topangarider
    Free Member

The new XT isn't as good a shift as the old 8spd version. Not much use to you that though!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Oh no, a 'what shifters' question.’ is closed to new replies.