Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • off chicken? (my life in your hands content)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Raw, opened 4 days ago, within date but says eat within 2 days of opening. No strong smell but I’ve not smelt raw chicken up close before.

Will I be fine/off work tomorrow/dead?

lemonysam
    Free Member

If you can’t smell it you’re fine. If it was off you would know, it’s a smell that’s hard to ignore.

fd3chris
    Free Member

All depends if being very ill is worth the value of the chicken? Say three pounds?

bearnecessities

I’d cook it, just to be sure.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Do you why you have a nose above you mouth?

If it was off, then it stinks, you would know.

Might be worth rinsing it off, just don’t splash the water everywhere.

bearnecessities

Might be worth rinsing it off

You’ve said it now!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d leave it out for a few days to air.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Just call it lamb and serve in a cheap pitta.

vickypea
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rinse it – washing raw chicken ensures that any salmonella is spread liberally round the kitchen.

bearnecessities

Told you 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

washing raw chicken ensures that any salmonella is spread liberally round the kitchen.

Yeah but you would be able to smell it.

singlespeedstu

Just **** cook it and eat it you big gurlypuff.
    I bet you’ve eaten far worse after a night on the piss.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I decided its a bit whiffy so went for another option.

Northwind

We think you should eat it, because we hate you.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Being off and being contaminated with salmonella aren’t the same thing . You can easily tell if chicken is off by the smell and the slimy texture . It can be contaminated with salmonella and you wouldn’t necessarily know .

woodsman
    Free Member

having had food poisoning from off chicken, I really really suggest you bin it

Oh you already have!

spooky_b329

Cooking it won’t help, when its gone off its tainted, basically gone toxic from the bacteria and their waste.

Stuff like that I will weigh up the cost of the food against the chance of getting ill.

Other stuff I’ll eat well out of date, like the energy gels that are 18 months out of date.

iolo
    Free Member

Just eat it.
    What’s the worse that can happen?

hatter

Sensible course of action Al, I’ve chanced it with ‘on the turn’ chicken and the 3 days of intestinal acrobatics that followed will forever live in infamy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Raw chicken is already full of bacteria that make you ill even when it’s just been bought, like salmonella and campylobacter. Mostly from the processing plants that pluck and skin them afaik but I could be wrong. That’s why you have to cook it.

In my experience it starts to smell and taste disgusting before it grows anything that can survive cooking and harm you. You’ll know when it’s off, and that smell doesn’t go away when you cook it, and it tastes just the same.

Raw chicken shouldn’t smell of anything much at all.

cbike
    Free Member

As long its been chilled and kept covered in the fridge the only change is removing of a wrapping? Follow basic food hygiene and you will be fine.

Man, I think I’m gonna set up a service for singletrackers to help them cross the road, tie shoelaces and cook basic meals. Yer all loaded but a wee bit daft and lacking confidence. £500 a day PM me. (Just kidding)

teethgrinder

If in doubt, lick it out.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Eat it, if it’s off, it could be the quickest way to loose weight ever!

2 weeks, 2 stone, no problem.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘off chicken? (my life in your hands content)’ is closed to new replies.