Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Odd-sounding aircraft just went over
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Heading towards Evesham from the West.

Didn’t bother getting up to see what I could see but it sounded low and big. The oddest thing was the very low note of the engine/s. It was air-ripping in the way that you might hear a Eurofighter make a sudden manoeuvre at high speed, yet this aircraft was fairly low-speed. Didn’t sound as if it was turning, just this steady sky-shrdding, window-vibrating bass-y rumble. Wish I’d had a look now, it’s clear as a bell out there.

CountZero

A400? It has a peculiar sound, due to the eight-bladed curved props, or possibly the C-17 Cargomaster, although they are relatively quiet, for large aircraft.
    Really difficult to make any sort of ID, without an indication of how fast it was actually moving, based on observation rather than just sound.

v8ninety

What do those Osprey thingies sound like? Bet they’re distinct from any other aircraft

CountZero

Could have been an Osprey, they’re certainly odd-sounding, although I’ve only heard them at a distance.
    Actually, that’s a good suggestion because the SAS are supposed to be using them, and Evesham would be on a possible flight path from Hereford.

wilburt
    Free Member

All sorts of military stuff going over us yesterday. Presumed there was something on in that London.

crazy-legs

Presumed there was something on in that London.

Trooping the Colour.

airtragic
    Free Member

One of this lot maybe? Not sure what they’d be doing as far over as Evesham though. Trooping the colour

Stoner
    Free Member

it will be the A400

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/find-a-plane-for-me

Corroborated by a mate intthe vilage who also flies out of Brize

Jason
    Free Member

The same thing flew over Mountain Mayhem at about 1am this morning. Sounded really loud from inside the tent.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

‘air ripping like a Eurofighter’ doesn’t sound like it applies to anything with a slow moving prop, which makes more of a low, damped throbbing noise and pretty quiet. Those A440M’s are very quiet, much more quiet than a helicopter and have a smooth tone with a hint of turbine wine in there.

Maybe it was just a Eurofighter?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Osprey! Just had a listen to a few vids and it sounds a likely contender. Have seen one here in the daytime before, just not so low or close to town. Thanks..

2am low over residential is a bit naughty though, eh?

[video]https://youtu.be/ICFbz_pJrGs[/video]

bainbrge

If it was a loud jet I’d guess it was one of the B1 lancers currently at Fairford. I saw them most mornings last week. They sound as you describe – doubt it was an osprey if it sounded like a heavy jet.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

doubt it was an osprey if it sounded like a heavy jet.

Blap some headphones on and listen to that clip I posted, definitely jet-like. It did sound more bass-heavy though, so not 100% convinced

*edit – Now a B1 in the mix. It does have that low-speed ripsnort in spades. Maybe too much. Possible. I may never know for sure.

[video]https://youtu.be/vGooeQm6Xgo[/video]

airtragic
    Free Member

B1 is another option if they’re still at Fairford. Sounds very much like the description.

Merak

Aurora.

sgn23
    Free Member

A noisy jet has woken me up in Cheltenham over the last couple of weeks. I got a peek of it through the clouds one morning and thought it was an F111, until I found out they don’t fly anymore.
    B1 fits the bill. Thanks!

PS I think it flew over Cheltenham at about 10am Saturday going towards Evesham.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aurora

Yes!

revs1972
    Free Member

You sure it wasn’t Darren in his Saxo.? He’s just had a new 5 inch exhaust and sub box fitted , and was tearing it through the wild streets of Torquay at 2am with his window vibrating bass-y rumble
    The twunt

bainbrge

B2 stealth bomber and B52 also stationed at Fairford currently. Not seen them yet though.

monkeyboyjc

It’s 100% a rockwell b1

They’ve been flying from Fairford for the past week.
    Swept wing design so it flys very slowly for a Jet and has a very distinctive noise.

Also bloody anoying as it’s been flying over my house (almost) every morning for the past week.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That noise you describe sometimes comes from a jet engine throttling back.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Saw the B1 at Eastbourne a fair few years ago. Awesome piece of kit, came past Beachy Head with shockwaves forming off the nacelles. Over the 3 days it Barrel Rolled one day and on the last day, did a very fast pass before pulling up and going ballistic!

Same week I was sponging at the Gap and it came over us out on the line up and on the last day we sat for 30 mins our on the waves watching firstly a Harrier and then a spitfire doing practice runs.

jonnyboi

Airwolf

CountZero

2am low over residential is a bit naughty though, eh?

Ha! Quite a few years ago, at around 1am, I heard the sound of a jet approaching, which wasn’t unusual as I live on Lyneham’s flightpath.
    Anyway, it got closer then suddenly all hell broke loose, there was an almighty roar, I heard my mum scream and shout asking what was happening, but I had no idea, just this tremendous racket from a very low jet.
    I later found out that a Jaguar fighter which had been on night excercises was on its approach, it was pretty foggy, and the pilot saw what he thought was the flarepath, the lights were actually the streetlights along Hungerdown Lane just a few yards away. He was apparently down to a lot less than 500ft when he realised his error and slammed the reheats on and went into a steep climb away, practically over my house!
    I heard a C-130 pilot made a similar error and tried to land his plane on the A4 London Road at Cherhill, which is always brightly lit, I can see it from Chippenham.
    Anyway, he was down to around 100 feet before realising he was about to put down on a public road, and pulled up fast.
    I believe words were had with both pilots…

Rich_s

Could have been worse…
    https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1001607

Apparently the pilot responsible was made to fly the thing back to Heathrow and was sacked.

I was lucky enough to get work experience at Church Fenton once and observed the regular mini-airshow put on for when a course graduated flying training. Cue a Jaaaaag doing a very high speed (knife edge?) flypast perfectly lined up… at Sherburn (3 miles hence). Busy cockpits, apparently.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cue a Jaaaaag doing a very high speed (knife edge?) flypast perfectly lined up..

Jags are better when they are loooooow.

Rich_s

Oh no! This thread isn’t going to degenerate into a swarm of nutty low flying pics, is it?

Why, yes. Yes it is.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rich, fill your boots – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/low

Am sure there was another thread as well, will try and dig it up.

golo
    Free Member

Let’s get the de Cadanet Spitfire f$&* me movie out…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT46V3mmWRE[/video]

slowoldman

I tell you what’s bloody annoying. That police helicopter flying overhead last night until about 4:30.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Odd-sounding aircraft just went over’ is closed to new replies.