Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Odd reporting…
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Why on earth do the press feel that this information is at all relevant?

Surrey police imposed an exclusion zone around the mock Tudor house
    What on earth do they feel they are giving to the report?
    From http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/10/french-alps-shooting-bomb-disposal

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s called “colour” in the trade.

Why do you think they do it? I’m happy to explain if it’s a serious question.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t really know why they do it. It isn’t relevant at all.

See also ‘Jordan, real name Katie Price…’

GrahamS

Sets the mental scene a bit doesn’t it?

Have you ever read a novel where the author didn’t describe anything and just told you the plot?

RustySpanner

For the same reason you included ‘on earth’ and ‘at all’ in your first post?

johndoh
    Free Member

But it isn’t a novel, it is reporting the news.

Following that logic, wouldn’t they say ‘The swarthy, muscular armed police moved slowly through the house, like cats stalking their prey, carefully checking every dark corner in intimate detail’….

(Only written better than I can manage).

hels
    Free Member

I believe the “mock tudor” is included to sneer at the proles, but I could be wrong. Perhaps it’s come up in the world.

Jamie
    Free Member

it is reporting the news.

…and one of the facts of the news story, is they lived in a mock tudor house.

johndoh
    Free Member

That is true, but they didn’t report on the state of the garden, the colour of the doors, the quality of the furnishings. Just a random fact that doesn’t actually offer any information.

nealglover
    Free Member

Why on earth do the press feel that this information is at all relevant?

What on earth do they feel they are giving to the report?

Edit- beaten to it, but you get the point.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just a random fact that doesn’t actually offer any information.

It tells me the house is quite large and relatively new-ish. The story is focusing on the bomb squad being at the house, so saying what sort of house it is seems relevant.

As an aside, I do wish they had gone with Tudorbethan, rather than Mock Tudor.

franksinatra

Lots of the gutter press like to quote the value fo houses.

was last seen in the £350k mock tudor mansion.’

Always make sme smile, where do they get the valuations from

Paul

binners

This is the best thing about most tabloid journalism. And something that Viz had absolutely nailed a long time ago. The description of 22 Shit Street for example, a decrepit council house….

“The fire-damaged, urine-stained mattress, carelessly discarded below the bedroom window, to the jauntily angled dustbin spilling its putrid contents across the path in a splash of repulsive colour”.

😆

johndoh
    Free Member

But read the rest of the article and it is all (relevantly) factual.

It just seems random to put in ‘mock Tudor’. What is it they are trying to achieve by giving that information.

And I wrote my post in the style of ”Aggrieved from Guilford’ so I embellished. It isn’t wrong to do that.

butcher

Something annoyed me a little bit this morning in the Guardian with their selective use of words in the headlines of this same story, painting it as some conspiracy by the French media…

How the French press buried the story

Could it not be that the French simply don’t like to sensationalize their news items in the same way we do? Can the Grauniad not see the irony in that?

geoffj

Just a random fact that doesn’t actually offer any information.

Au contraire (Rodney) – I now know that wooden beams (sic) are involved and that it was once probably owned by a, 80s footballer who had a ‘tache and a jag.

stuey
    Free Member

‘What bulwer-lytton winner for news reporting ?’
    “She slinked through my door wearing a dress that looked like it had been painted on … not with good paint, like Behr or-Williams, but with that watered-down stuff that bubbles up right away if you don’t prime the surface before you slap it on, and – just like that cheap paint – the dress needed two more coats to cover her.”

Edit: binners beat me to it 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

See also ‘Jordan, real name Katie Price…’

There’s the problem.

You are reading a “newspaper” that reports “news” about Katie Price.

poolman
    Free Member

350 wouldn’t go far in Claygate.

Its an 800k house street, sorry, just read that in a press report.

johndoh
    Free Member

You are reading a “newspaper” that reports “news” about Katie Price.

It was The Guardian that I read it in.

The Sun etc do the Katie Price bit. Apparently. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s still not “news” no matter where you read it.

loum
    Free Member

Looks like a fair description of the scene.

johndoh
    Free Member

It isn’t, no.

djglover
    Free Member

I don’t think its odd at all. Its clearly a quick way for the reader to identify the class / affluence of the victim without the writer explicitly saying it.

Council Bugalow, Detached Surrey residence, Victorian terraced house.

They all paint a picture of the resident in barely 3 words.

johndoh
    Free Member

Its clearly a quick way for the reader to identify the class / affluence of the victim without the writer explicitly saying it.

around the mock Tudor house

If they had said ‘the luxury 5 bedroomed, detached mock Tudor house’ then I might have agreed.

It could be a 2 bed terraced mock Tudor house or a 10 bedroomed detached mock Tudor house. They haven’t said enough to be helpful. Just put random words in.

djglover
    Free Member

OK, why not write to points of view then

johndoh
    Free Member

I thought moaning on STW was the done thing?

Sorry, I’m new here.

binners

Moaning is the second most popular pastime on here. The main one is pointless and cyclical bickering. You’ve a fine opportunity to engage in both now….

johndoh
    Free Member

I shall look forward to my journey of discovery….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Odd reporting…’ is closed to new replies.