Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Octalink crankset and BB removal
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Got a non series M521 Octalink set up on an 2008 Rockhopper which i’ve not seen before. Googling suggests newer Octalink should be “self removing” whatever that is, and then there is a tool available anything from £11 up to a Shimano badged £40 jobby, which seems OTT.

Do i need a special tool to remove the cranks and BB? Removing the crank nut and rubber washer and i’m non the wiser.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mine need a standard crank removal tool. eh bit that pushes onthe end of the spindle needs to be wide enough not to go down the hollow spindle – or use a couple of 5ps as they are the right size

D0NK

top end versions* had self extracting crank bolts, lower did not. If you’ve got a square taper crank extractor you can bodge something together with a 5p piece if you’re careful otherwise proper extractor (or extractor bolts or take it down LBS)

*not 100% about this actually, I got 2 xt octa cranks but only 1 pr of extractor bolts

5thElefant
    Free Member

A standard puller disappears into the hole. The hole gets narrower but not soon enough for the puller. I drop a small socket (like 6mm-ish) into the hole and use a standard puller.

5p sounds like a good idea.

ransos
    Free Member

I tried the “5p method”. Result was a bent 5p. Buy the shimano adaptor that allows you to use a square taper extractor. SJS cycles sell them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I used to use a rear mech pivot bolt in the hole which worked nicely – just get a toughened steel bolt to put in the axle hole (just big enough to fit into the crank recess) if you dont want to but the HTI tool?

Scamper
    Free Member

Cheers all for the info.

I presume once removed the bottom bracket shell can take `standard’ XT BB cups and M770 crankset?

Speshpaul

Yes your Standard BB shell will take these new fangled external cups, why heaven only knows:-)

Scamper
    Free Member

Been impressed with Octalink although this particular bike has not been really ragged over 3 years.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Octalink crankset and BB removal’ is closed to new replies.