Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Oakley Prescription Eye Wear – lens choices
  • gribble
    Free Member

I am a four eyes and have for many a year used various ‘second pair free deal’ prescription sunglasses for riding, as well as driving and generally pretending I am more of an A list player than I really am (which is not at all – I have grey hair and rock out to a bit of Radio 4).

Anyway, I need to get another pair of regular specs so I thought I would try and get a decent pair of prescription glasses at the same time, (they sort of do a discount deal at a local opticians if you do). I was thinking of a pair of Oakley glasses – I know they are hugely overpriced and make me look like a banker, but I have had a couple of pairs before and been really pleased with them. As they will pretty much cost as much as an entry level mtb I would like to make sure I get it right.

The optician I spoke to recommended VR28 lenses, which are designed for flat light. Are they any good or do you use another lens that is recommended? There is a restriction on which lenses you can select when getting them tinted. I would also like as much as possible to be able to use the one pair on sunny holidays etc, so I am really looking for the most versatile lens possible. VR28 lens look a bit Elton John, but no one is ever going to call me rocket man as I ride so slowly…

njee20
    Free Member

Are the photochromic lenses available in prescription? The Clear Black Iridium are excellent!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

VR50s here, very pleased with them, they are a bronzy colour.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I used my vr28 over the black iridium and clear tints that I have with my m frames – I’d say they’re suited to about 80% of the conditions in the uk, over here in Oz it’s mostly the other way around……

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Ive got oakleys, maybe 8 years old. One of the best purchases ever. No idea what type of lense. Weirdly my eye sight has got worse but glasses are still spot on.

I cant wear them for trails but flat cycling great. Wish i had bought them with polarisation gubbins.

oddjob
    Free Member

VR28 are very versatile and good in most light unless it’s very bright or dull. I got some photo chromatic ones which I use all year round as riding glasses but I am considering some clear lenses for the winter next year. For the record, i think they are grey iridium photochromaticwhich I got from rx sports who were very good and well priced.

specialeyes
    Free Member

In a similar position as the op myself, have been looking at Oakley too but also Rudy Project. Anyone have any experience with the Rudy, particularly the impact rx. Like these http://www.rudyprojectuk.com/products/glasses/magster/frozen-ash/photochromic-clear-rx.html?s=0&sp=10

njee20
    Free Member

Photochromic. No ‘at’ in there!

The Clear Black Iridium photochromic lenses go as good as clear – I use them for night riding. Not quite as dark as a ‘proper’ black iridium, but nearly there, extremely versatile. Pricey though, and availability isn’t great, even before you go down the prescription route.

If I was just having a normal lense VR28 would possibly be my choice, although I’ve got some Jade Iridium that are good unless it’s really overcast/dark.

BillOddie

I have recently purchased a set of Prescription Jawbones with Grey Transitions lenses and I have been very impressed. You just don’t notice them which is clearly a very good thing. They go light enough for night riding and judging by the light transmission charts they will go as dark as my Prescription Monster Dogs which is dark enough for everything even the brightest UK/Europe Summer sun really. They might not be dark enough for sunny alpine days in the winter though.

I have had 2 pairs of prescription Oakleys from http://www.theinternetopticians.co.uk/ and would buy from them again.

I have had Rudy Projects with clip in adaptors and to be honest they are nowehere near as good as a directly glazed Oakley lens.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just one lens – VR28 is the best.

I have persimmon to black iridium transitions as well, and they’re superb.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Prescription Eye Wear – lens choices’ is closed to new replies.