Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Oakley Photochromic Lenses
  • fathomer

Looking at getting some new riding glasses, mainly for the road and like the idea of photochromic lenses. Either Jawbreakers or Radar EV as the issue I have with my current cheapish glasses is the depth.

I’ve not managed to find any recent threads on them and wondered how dark and light they go and how quickly they do it?

legend
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how quickly they change, but they just seem to be right all the time. I’ve got Radars and really like them. The lens coating seems softer than my older Race Jackets, could be something to do with the photochromic layer or could just be that I’ve accidentally scratched them somehow

leythervegas
    Free Member

Download the Oakley app for your phone, its called ‘mad science’. Got loads of tech info on their lenses so should find it on there.

clubby

I bought a set of these lenses for my racing jackets 3 years ago and haven’t switched them out since. Go from clear to dark quickly but take a while to change back.
    Darkest shade isn’t as dark as other Oakley lenses but worked well last week out in Ibiza. More than dark enough for U.K. use.

stevious

I’ve got some clear/black jawbreakers and I don’t really notice them changing. The ‘clear’ setting is good enough for night riding but I prefer something darker for full sun.

FWIW I find my road prizm lenses more versatile than the photochromics as they work well in everything except darkness and heavy gloom. Possibly worth trying some to see if they’d work for you if you can.

prawny

I’ve got some Uvex Variomatics and they’re ace, I can only imagine the Oakley ones being better.

I’ve worn them on every ride since I got them when the Canyon sale was on which was well before the clocks went forward so they’ve been worn in total darkness on the road with no issue.

The only rides I wouldn’t wear them on is night MTB, when I’d go for clear lenses.

A point on Jawbreakers, I don’t like them on the road as the side of the frames cause a nasty blind spot when you’re shoulder checking for cars, worth trying some out before spending loads of cash.

tinybits
    Free Member

Not actually a huge fan of my grey flak jacket ones. Seem a little ‘flat’ for in the woods. Certainly I struggle riding with them however I find the prizm trail brilliant off road, mainly wooded rides in the uk.

fathomer

Cheers chaps, sounds promising. I’ll have a look for the ‘mad science’ app and maybe order a pair from CRC seeing as it’s free returns.

singletracksurfer

Just bought the Oakley EVZero – ‘Path’ version I believe, which are smaller than the standard ones (so don’t look so daft on my little head).

Only ridden with them once, but love them. Really light and no frame to create blind spots so you forget they are on. Seem great in the woods and out in the open, maybe a little slow to change but no real issue and maybe not dark enough for very bright days. Not too much of an issue in the UK. They stay demisted pretty well, even with my Neanderthal brow.

mattbee

Just bought some evZero with photochromic.
    Seem great so far, used them on a couple of road rides and a mtb ride. Nice and light, really good field of vision with nothing in way and didn’t really notice the transition in colour.

eshershore
    Free Member

found Prizm trail actually fantastic for all year commuting on the road

chromatic is very good, but lens is crazy expensive and quite easily scratched compared to even iridium

njee20
    Free Member

Just bought the Oakley EVZero – ‘Path’ version I believe, which are smaller than the standard ones (so don’t look so daft on my little head).

Path is just a lens shape, it’s the smaller one (there is Edge on Radars, but only on the womens glasses off the shelf IIRC), but there is no “standard” shape, Pitch and Range are the bigger ones. Path is more common.

I really like the photochromic lenses, but would probably agree that Prizm Trail is actually better for mountain biking, the way stuff ‘pops’ out more is incredible, even looking at a phone screen is weird!

johnhe

I just ordered a set off CRC – the price reduction was too good to pass up. They haven’t arrived soon. Like you I figured I’d see what they’re like before deciding to keep or return.

oldracer
    Free Member

Endura.

That way you won’t cry when you scratch/destroy/lose a £100+ pair of glasses!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Photochromic Lenses’ is closed to new replies.