Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Oakley lens recommendations for ski goggles please
  • Alphabet

I’ve settled on a pair of Oakley Canopy goggles as they fit well and I can wear my prescription glasses underneath. I mainly ski on piste in the Alps if that makes a difference.

Lens choice seems to be a minefield. I’ve read good things about Pink Iridium for flat to medium light and I guess late afternoon skiing so I’ll be getting that lens but I’ve read it’s not so good for bright sunny days.

Can anyone recommend a lens for bright/sunny days that won’t leave me in pitch dark as soon as the sun goes behind a cloud or mountain?

Ta.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Low light – Persimmon or Yellow. Persimmon is better for contrast, yellow better for definition

Bight light and blue skies – Whatever you think looks nice, really! I tend to ski in Serre Che where it gets super sunny much of the time, so I went for the Black Iridium. The snow black isn’t like the non-snow super dark lens, by the way. It has a really nice gold(ish) tint to the lens which looks all of teh orsum.

For a really good all rounder, VR28 is hard to beat, IMHO. However, for a higher light lens, they’re all pretty easy going when the conditions change, and often easy enough to carry a spare lens for changeable days.

DezB
    Free Member

I found an orange lens to be the best all rounder.
    Not sure what the Oakley equivalent is.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dez, that would be Persimmon. Only problem is that it can be rather tiring in really bright conditions for me. I have pretty sensitive eyes, though. I tend to carry a change lens in a pocket, easy enough to stop for a coffee and swap them over. Inside if it’s turned turbo-puke, out in the sun when the bluebirds appear! 😀

nbt

I use persimmon, all the time. Flat light, bright light, dull light, whatever. Never wear sunnies with a helmet either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never wear sunnies with a helmet either.

This is in The Rules and any transgression is punishable by death. It’s not quite as bad as blades, but very close….

legend
    Free Member

I used to wear persimmon all the time, then I burned my eyes – fun.
    Black Irridium all the time for me. They seem to work in conditions where they have no right to

DezB
    Free Member

Never wear sunnies with a helmet either.
    This depends if your helmet is one of those ones with the big visor 🙂

I could carry a spare lens, but my Dragon goggles are so difficult to change the lens, there’s no way I’d do it once out!
    Haven’t found a lens to top my old DSO’s orange one, for all roundness.

Alphabet

Thanks for the replies so far. Has anyone used Dark Grey? There seems to be some good deals for goggles with this lens but I worry that it’s too dark in anything but blue sky days.

DezB
    Free Member

Official chart here – http://www.snowboardingforum.com/outerwear-accessories/39270-oakley-lens-chart.html

or the one half way down here http://www.epicski.com/t/91466/looking-for-goggles-for-all-conditions has detailed descriptions.

It’s not something to worry about too much really. Your eyes get used to whatever’s in the goggs anyway. And it’s very much like trying to find a do-it-all tyre. You gotta compromise somewhere.

speed12
    Free Member

I use VR28 (for bright) and Persimmon (for flat) in my Crowbars – both cover their respective best light conditions well, but are also light/dark enough to not have to worry if it suddenly clears up/clouds up.

sam_underhill

I’ve got the Canopy with Fire Iridum for really bright days. it’s fine for clouds etc, but it’s not great when it goes really flat.
    For all other days I’ve got he H.I. Persimmon lens. This seems to work in an amazing range of conditions from white out, to fairly bright days.

sam_underhill

p.s. http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/ are pretty good for spare lenses.

shifter
    Free Member

Persimmon, unless I’m absolutely sure it’s going to be sunny all day, in which case, black iridium. If exploring the slack and using a pack I take both pairs.

jfletch
    Free Member

I find the basic VR28 is good enough for all conditions.

In bright sun a darker lens might be OK but the VR28 is plenty and your aren’t squinting

In flat light it gives some definition and lets enough light through.

You don’t ski in the dark so there is no need for a really bright lens such as pink or yellow IMO.

legend
    Free Member

^ you obviously don’t ski in scotland

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Oakley lens recommendations for ski goggles please’ is closed to new replies.