Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • O' bearded forum wisemen, with calves of granite and wood burning stoves of fire
  • rureadyboots
    Free Member

May you pass on your wisdom.

My chain is slipping. Whenever I accelerate hard it goes slip slip then grips. Slip slip grip. Slip slip grip.

First I replaced the cassette and chain as they were both worn.

It still slips.

Then I replaced the two front chain rings.

It still slips.

If I change the bleedin’ jockey wheels will it please god stop slipping?

All the new bits are the right parts,teeth, length etc

crikey
    Free Member

Chances are that you have a stiff link in the chain. Pour ice cold water over the chain then rotate it backwards to find out. Sounds a bit April Fools, but I’ve had stiff links that only showed up when riding through puddles in winter.

tazzymtb

Sounds like the pawls in the freehub are going. Slip slip slip (poorly pawl springs) grip and drive…happy spring but will soon die a sad and lonely death unless you sort it

tazzymtb

Or if you are using a gear dangler have you checked the indexing and limit screws as slightly out and the chain can sit on the edge of the teeth rather tham fully engaged which will also give a similar effect as described…will as noisy as **** though

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Are they Easton wheels?
    When I had that problem the freehub pawls were shot. (As tazzy has said above)

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Not a stiff link, i dunno what a gear dangler is. These free hub pawls sound interesting.

What are they?

crikey
    Free Member

Now would perhaps be a good time to utilise a search engine… 😉

rureadyboots
    Free Member

What is this “search engine” you speak of?

crikey
    Free Member
    buck53

Chain length alright?

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Yep the chain lengths fine.

Thanks crikey and others. I’ll look into these so called free hub pawls.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I once had something vaguely similar happen on a ride. It took some searching to spot a thin twig wrapped around the block.

Waderider
    Free Member

Ice cold water. Very good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘O' bearded forum wisemen, with calves of granite and wood burning stoves of fire’ is closed to new replies.