Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nutrition question – electrolytes?
  • devash
    Free Member

Been using SIS and High5 electrolyte tabs for a while now, specifically the zero calorie ones.

However, I’ve just been diagnosed with suspected IBS and my doctor wants me to cut out as much artificial sweeteners / flavours / colours from my diet first to see if its caused by an allergy to synthetic ingredients.

I find though that the electrolyte mix really helps with leg cramps on long rides so does anyone know if there are similar products to the above that just contain electrolytes and nothing else? Not too fussed on the flavour as its the performance benefit I’m really interested in.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Just eat a bag of salty crisps to get some salt in you. Tried the sports drinks but found this to be just as effective. Otherwise an old film canister with a bit of table salt. Dab a little on your finger every hour or two. Works a treat. Never cramped using any of the above.

beej

Elete is made from dehydrated seawater. Comes in a little dropper bottle like contact lens stuff.

DT78
    Free Member

I use salt tabs from xc racer, not sure as to the makeup but works for me. Only need them on hot longer races though

wallop

+1 Elete – it’s brilliant stuff.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’ll raise the spectre of cramping being due to a lack of conditioning rather than what is in your drink, in an attempt to save you money.

But yes, SIS gave me explosive diahorrea, Elete did not.

jonny-m
    Free Member

You do not need to add more salt…
    When you sweat your salt levels per amount of water in you body actually rise so adding more is not the answer.
    Cramps are to do with muscular fatigue and pushing your muscles harder than before and dehydration not lack of salt.

mikey74
    Free Member

As suggested above. Get fitter.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Good advice from Jonny m

CraigW
    Free Member

You can get plain electrolyte powder from Myprotein. http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/electrolyte-powder/10529892.html

Fat-boy-fat

Dioralyte?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Cramp is not caused by a lack of electrolytes, it is most probably caused by muscle fatigue. I stopped using electrolytes ages ago and suffered no ill-effects. If you think they stop muscle cramps then it is just a placebo effect. There is loads of research and information about this on-line.

Sports drinks, sweat and electrolytes – part 1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nutrition question – electrolytes?’ is closed to new replies.