• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sv.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Now my Gravity Dropper wont lock down…
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I have changed the shims, the bush and cable. Cleaned and lightly greased everything. Cable tension appears to be good and doing it’s job, the post will drop and engage in the one inch drop position, but not at full drop. There are no obstructions or excess grease in the holes, I have tried every position of the top cap ten times over and the rubber boot is in it’s place, what else can I try?

Any help appreciated.

ianpv
    Free Member

Double check the bush under the top cap is fully inserted – sometimes they jam a few mm out. I’d normally say top cap too tight, but you’ve checked that. Have you got too much cable tension (pulling springs down a fraction with no lever movement?). I’d degrease everything and try a dry assembly to check the action if none of that works. Never grease the pin IMO!

I’ve kept mine going since buying it in 2007 – finicky, but overall a great thing!

ianpv
    Free Member

One other possibility – is the cap on top of the spring the right way up?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks Ian, I will have a go with less cable tension. which way up does the cap on the spring go? I have tried both to no avail.

sv

Gravity Dropper website has the parts diagram.

chiefgrooveguru

This can happen if the bottom cap but (preload thingy) is screwed in too far so there isn’t enough room for the inner post and spring to squish down low enough.

Northwind

If you’ve fitted brand new shims, there’s a chance they’re too long- there’s info in the fitting guide about cutting them to size, but if they’re too long then they might be able to stop the post from reaching full drop. (when I say might, I mean that I can see how it could happen but without taking one to bits I can’t say for sure if it’s actually possible)

Bagstard
    Free Member

It was locking down with the new shims previously, but in trying to cure the post slipping from full extension to one inch drop I have managed to mess something up. I’m thinking maybe too much cable tension?!

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t think the cable tension has anything to do with it – the cable has to move the same amount to let the pin lock into place in all three positions. There’s quite a bit more cable pull on the remote than the pin needs to work so the post isn’t fussy about cable tension. I suppose you could have the cable so tight that it’s only just managing to lock in two positions, in which case loosen it off and see if that fixes things.

Email Gravity Dropper if you haven’t already – they reply fast and they know all the tricks!

Bagstard
    Free Member

I will have a go loosening the tension, failing that I will email GD. It is getting very annoying now, luckily the one on my other bike works perfectly.

sv

The plastic top cap being the right way round on the spring and the bottom nut in the post shaft would be my initial areas to play with. Then I email GD 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Now my Gravity Dropper wont lock down…’ is closed to new replies.