Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Novice riding in the lakes
  • surfer
    Free Member

I will be around the Ambleside area over Easter with young surfer (10)

Hiring a suitable bike for him and taking mine.

I am sure this has been covered many times but what are the most suitable rides around that area and where is the best place to hire from? He has reasonable handling skills and is quite fit.

Many thanks

Android
    Free Member

We stayed in Ambleside last year, its pretty hilly! I got a local guide book and chose the “family ride” over to Troutbeck. Some parts I had to get off and carry 5 bikes (mine, wife & 3 kids) as some of it was like a waterfall without the water (heading up) We all made it round but it was hard work)

Biketreks is a good shop, but pretty busy so if you need any repairs they have the bits, but take your toolkit. They say they do hire out, but probably worth a call. There is another one tucked away in the backstreets (where I got the book).

There are some good rides around Grizedale, but make sure hes got at least 15 gears, my girls couldn’t get up some of the hills with 5. They have a hire / bikeshop at the visitor centre with a good range of bikes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

From Ambleside – go through the park to humpback bridge over Rothay, turn R then L over cattle grid. First bit is steep road, perhaps a push, becoming a rough lane, then quite rocky (my 12 yr old rode it). Turn R at far end past Loughrigg Tarn (concessionary track). Turn R uphill at end and then R through gate opposite road junction onto Loughrigg Terrace (can be lots of walkers at times). BW takes you to Rydal, then take lane on R back to Ambleside

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks guys much appreciated.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

If you are riding ‘in the lakes’ with a young surfer make sure you protect your bike. I would recommend Green Oil as it is environmentally friendly so won’t polute the water as much.

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

Bike treks would be my first place to call in,Grisdale offers lots of trails,navigation can be trickey.Most of the fells around there are pretty difficult for a novice,but it really just means you will walk a bit more.

using the roads as the climbs is always a good way to introduce a youngsurfer to the lakes,it makes the decents feel longer as well!

have a good one. 😉

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Head out to Tilberthwaite…between Ambleside and Coniston.
    Loads of good bridleways around there with just enough challenge for you to enjoy but not too hard for youngsurfer.
    We have been the last 2 weekends and the FoxyChicklets (aged 8 and 10) absolutely loved it!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Novice riding in the lakes’ is closed to new replies.