Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Nosey neighbours: 1, thieving scum: 0
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Was woken by a phone call at 4.30am today from next door neighbour saying she had just disturbed someone trying to break into the shed.
    They had started to remove the roof and the noise of this woke her up.
    Luckily nothing was stolen this time and the bikes are now in the house till I can get the shed fixed.
    Am amazed that they decided ripping the roof off was easier than busting the door.
    What would be the most secure way to re-do the roof I wonder?
    Oh and what ground anchor for a wooden floored shed on paving slabs?

Stoner
    Free Member

Ground anchor = Rhino bucket with two bags of postcrete and good d-clock set into it (d end in the concrete) = 50kg pain in the arse.

z1ppy

Don’t tell em, but I use our blue rinse brigade bungelows opposite as our 1st line of defense.
    You got to love the curtain twitchers when there being useful.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

If they’re prepared to pull the shed roof off I’d suspect they’ll come back. I’d be lookign at building a metal ‘cage’ inside the shed to keep the bikes in – lots of wire mesh held together with metal fastners and screwed to the wooden frame of the shed.

You could also line the shed in 18mm ply with bits of 2×2 at all the joints to hold it together.

Plus all the ground anchor stuff.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

When I attached our shed roof I used 60mm screws at 100mm centres along every edge, then filled in the posi heads with solder before felting over the top of it. Overkill? Possibly, but it’s certainly not an easy route into the shed any more.

spacemonkey

Someone here mentioned these the other day. Maybe have a chat with them.

And what about a chain type thingy?

Stoner
    Free Member

this is something else you can use if you dont have a base to anchor to
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php

steezysix
    Free Member

Buy a couple of rape alarms (the ones where you pull out the cord to set them off) and connect them between wall and to the roof of the shed – then if they try the same trick again you should be able to hear it and chase after them in your pyjamas.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Buy a couple of rape alarms (the ones where you pull out the cord to set them off) and connect them between wall and to the roof of the shed – then if they try the same trick again you should be able to hear it and chase after them in your pyjamas.

Genius!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Buy a couple of rape alarms grenades (the ones where you pull out the cord ring to set them off) and connect them between wall and to the roof of the shed – then if they try the same trick again you should be able to hear their screams it and chase after them in your pyjamas.

fify

Clong
    Free Member

I locked my bike to the gas main whilst in student digs as it was the only thing to lock it to in the garage. Got woken up by someone breaking into said garage, so i walked down downstairs to investigate, to find the knob hack sawing the gas main.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’d be a bit wary of putting them in the shed again. They seem to know something of value is in there. Ground anchors can’t help too much if they strip the frame of its components.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I use those rape alarms & have already kicked some scumbag down my street for the potential offence of getting away with my bikes… They do work!!!

Xylene
    Free Member

Screw in the screws at different angles so they can’t just wrench them out.

Where they screw into tray and add some more wood.

My shed has pretty much another structure inside it made of 2×4 and 6×2 with 6″ screws into them. The wood they are pulling at is going to give way long before the screws get pulled out.

I would suggest as well as the bucket of concrete to drill two holes through a paving slab below the shed. Gives you that extra protection of the concrete and the slab when trying to get at the d-lock

robsoctane
    Free Member

If you have wall to climb over, simply use carpet grippers (long strips of wood with carpet nails in)& mount them 1 inch below the inside of said wall, F&%K em right up when they go to climb over in the usual fashion… 😉

Cougar

Speak to the zoo about borrowing a lion for a couple of days.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You can get an all in one PIR sensor and alarm specifically for sheds, with a remote control plipper to set/unset it. Loud as you like and a 5 minute job to put in.

MrNutt
    Free Member

rebar shed!

showerman
    Free Member

remember if the crim hurt themselves cos fitted carpet gripper ect you could find yourself in trouble..yes i agree these scum need to be hurt good and proper but why end up paying them compo as well as giving them your bikes

large418
    Free Member

Do nothing, except wait for them to come back. Then employ the “stuff them in the boot of your car and drive them a long long way away” technique.

It’s what some people do with vermin.

OCB
    Free Member

showerman
    remember if the crim hurt themselves cos fitted carpet gripper ect you could find yourself in trouble..yes i agree these scum need to be hurt good and proper but why end up paying them compo as well as giving them your bikes

Good tip, don’t ‘install’ anything as a trap, it’ll end up backfiring.

A nice robust hedge always looks great (Berberis / Pyracantha / Blackthorn are particularly nasty, bramble / wild rose etc are good too). So much so, the Met have given you a handy planting list too.

Recommended by our local crime-prevention officer too.

Another bonus is that this kinda hedge’ll up the biodiversity in the garden, encourage bugs and help our little bird friends with shelter, roosting / nesting and feeding, so everyone wins!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A great many shed roofs are only held on by 4 nails in the uprights of the corners.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Aye, I never really think about the law when I’m protecting my own. Maybe I’ll just hand it all over… & my son too!

Kick em all awa instead, they’ll not come back if you hit em hard enough. 😉

project
    Free Member

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Construction+Materials/Builders+Metalwork/Galvanised+Banding+50mm+x+10m/d210/sd2797/p66668

Builders band, and roofing bars availanble from toolstation and screwfix, either builders band over the roof andf builers roofing bars to hold ther roof down , also non drying paint under the eaves.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

showerman – Member

Really? How and for what. this is another one of those myths that is utter rubbish. That would outlaw barbed wire. I know plenty of walls with broken glass embedded in the top etc etc

find one example of this ever happening in the UK

rob2
    Free Member

My shed has an asbestos roof so I feel slightly better as I would hope If they ripped that off they may die a horrible death 🙂

franksinatra

How about one of these

Shed Alarm

higthepig
    Free Member

Take your neighbour a box of chocolates or bottle of wine to say thanks.

Then wire you shed into the mains, erect barbed wire/carpet grippers, fill with rape alarms, put a couple of hand grenades with pins removed under the roof, erect a machine gun post/searchlights overlooking the shed, buy a nasty dog and leave it in the shed with limited food, place mines around the shed, finally, post on Facebook that there will be a riot in your back garden and before you know it the place will be full of Rozzers and circling helicopters. Simple really.

angryratio
    Free Member

Is everything insured?

And do you make a big song and dance when you leave the house with your shiny bikes or do you keep things low profile?
    Reason i ask is because a pal of mine lives on a main road and stands polishing his bike in the front garden.

The scum are like magpies.

project
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

showerman – Member

Really? How and for what. this is another one of those myths that is utter rubbish. That would outlaw barbed wire. I know plenty of walls with broken glass embedded in the top etc etc

find one example of this ever happening in the UK

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

TJ, with all due respect to your right to always be right, youre wrong, we fitted razor wire on the rear window cills of a chineese takeaway after they got robbed one night, the local plod came a few days latter to check up and said the razor wire was dangerous to passerbys/workmen/window cleaners, and anyone else with legal access to the property, even though it was 15 foot up, so we had to take pictures of the wire withyn signs with me holding a copy of the local paper to prove the date.

A few months after, i asked a fireman, who said it was dagerous to them if they had to made a forced entry in a fire.

Even now as i look out our garages have razor wire on the roof and prominet yellow signs warning about it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Project – but has any crim ever got compensation for injuries from this sort of stuff? thats what the myth is.

Do you really think local plod are unable to be taken in by these myths?

Its a total myth that you cannot put up wire, carpet gripper or anything else. Did the plod make you take it down?

So I ask again find one example of a crim getting compensation for injuring themselves on barbed wire.

You even say your garages have razor wire on them FFS. So I am right. Its a complete myth that you cannot put carpet grippers or similar up to stop crims climbing onto your shed.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Pro tip: KEEP THEM IN THE HOUSE FROM NOW ON!!!

project
    Free Member

If theres blame for the injury, then there will be a claims company out to pursue a claim.

You would have to prove there was criminal intent for being on your property, he /she may well have climbed in looking for a pet, lost ball, and is seriously injured on razor wire or glass.

Then again it may be plod or a fireman who is injured.

sturmey
    Free Member

Project/TJ I think you can use razor/barbed wire but you must display warning notices and possibly there us a minimum height at which it can be used, the same applies for other forms of sharp deterents. I personally would shy away from glass as said above some poor person could do themselves serious harm when only loking for a ball cat or dog.

project
    Free Member

Sturmey , thats waht ive alredy said.

_tom_
    Free Member

Leave a couple of sets of bombers around the garden, just so they know there’s a distinct chance of ownage.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why would you have to prove there is criminal intent to being on your property?

I say again – find me one example of a criminal getting compensation for injuries caused. For that matter find me one example of what you claim – that if you put barbed wire up you can be sued by people getting injured. Its a myth. complete and utter. Find an example of it happening.

FFS police stations have razer wire around them!

sturmey
    Free Member

Project Yes im agreeing with you just making the point about using it responsibly TJ show me wall erected by a building company with glass on it within the last 10 years? Times change it was ok to send boys up chimneys once.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I say again – find me one example of a criminal getting compensation for injuries caused. For that matter find me one example of what you claim – that if you put barbed wire up you can be sued by people getting injured.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Nosey neighbours: 1, thieving scum: 0’ is closed to new replies.