Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Norway All Mountain type riding?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a road trip around Norway and wondering where the must-ride places are.

I like cable car uplifts but not too bothered for a standard bike park – not that I’ll complain at a day in one here or there, but in the Alps I’m a fan of the trails that get you onto the high mountains, through the pastures etc – Megavalanche style. Judged by that stick the photos of Hafjell look a bit boring. The Footprint Mountain Biking Europe guide has a picture of some guys riding down an *enormous* rock slab above a fjord somewhere; that would be more my scene, but sadly the book has absolutely no info on where it is!

We’re also prepared to push/ride up to access that sort of thing, I love Lakes riding. Woodland trails are cool too.

So … does anyone know where in Norway we should head?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

there is a guy on here called Anus or Quim or Fanny or something that went round Norway lots last summer. use the search or i think he had a blog.

I’m across the border in Åre. Brilliant riding everywhere including the bike park. Hafjell is brilliant I think but each to their own. Look up the 80/20 enduro series for inspiration too or there is a bergen MTB group i know of on facebook

sideshow
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll have a Google for those terms you suggest. What could possibly go wrong?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

haha “Anus blog” = bingo!

here you go https://anyexcusetoride.wordpress.com/

sideshow
    Free Member

Fair play, that blog is “the shit” an excellent start what with all the gpx linked in 🙂 Åre looks pretty actually, maybe we should pop over!

I have no idea what the Hafjell riding is like, but being a tourist as well as a biker I like to hit up the scenic places – and I’ve yet to see a photo that convinces me it’s special in that respect.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Hey Sideshow, glad my blog was of help! I’ll let you browse at your own leisure there but the biggest piece of help I can give you is probably this map…

MTB Map of whole of Norway

I would suggest finding places you like in terms of scenery/tourism then check out that map and see what is nearby riding wise 🙂

sideshow
    Free Member

Nice one! The MTB map layer seems to disappear when I zoom in – am I using it wrong?

Heatmap overlaid on Norgeskart looks useful though, and I’ve just discovered the Norgeskart phone app 😀 😀

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Never had any problems with it when zooming no…

BruceWee

I’m based in Trondheim so my local resort is actually in Sweden. I keep meaning to check out Oppdal but tbh Åre is so good I never feel like going anywhere else.

reitstoen
    Free Member

The MTB map layer seems to disappear when I zoom in – am I using it wrong?

Nope! It’s all my fault. The map has only been rendered to zoom 14 for most of Norway. Some popular areas have better coverage, up to zoom 16.

This is what happens when someone without much knowledge of cartography, webdesign, databases and such try to make a MTB map 🙂

There are alternatives, using the same dataset (OpenstreetMap):
    MTBmap.se – A swedish MTB map covering all of the Nordic countries.
    MTBMap.org – Another Norwegian MTB map
    mtbmap.cz – MTB map of Europe

and I’ve just discovered the Norgeskart phone app 😀

You can also try the OsmAnd app. It uses OpenStreetMap data, and you can download vector-maps for offline use.
    They just implemented the same style for MTB as MTBmap.no. Here’s a video showing how to enable the style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbC2eMjfAIE

I’m based in Trondheim as well, and would also recommend Åre. The Åre Bike Park (mapvideo) is great , and there is suppose to be som nice natural trails south of Åre also (mapvideo)

There is a topic here about the Lofoten Islands.
    Other than that, there are lots of great places to ride in Norway. The west coast and up north have some awesome scenery with fjords and steep mountains. And inland you will find many great trails in both mountains, in woodlands and by lakes, like Oppdal, Røros, Trysil

regards
    Ola Endre
    Amateur Cartographer

welshfarmer

All noted for future reference. I am sure it won’t belong before I am back in my favourite country. 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think a Scandinavian Singletrack Users meet up is on the cards…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Norway All Mountain type riding?’ is closed to new replies.