Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • North Yorkshire Moors – where should I ride?
  • james
    Free Member

Thinking of going back to the north yorkshire moors for a ride soon

Where’s not overly sloppy at the moment?
    Where would you reccomend for about 20 miles of rocky moorland riding

I’ve ridden a little around killdale/captain cooks monument, surroundings to dalby forest and odd bits here and there, but really very little of the moors
    I’ve got the new V-grpahics North Yorkshire Moors book recently, but would like some second opinion/reccomendations to narrow something down

Would be heading north on the A1 so ideally (but not essential) not having to drive round to the northern side of the moors would be quicker

didmatt
    Free Member

Rode around Danby a few times, can recommend that. Also done around Killdale/Guisborough/Captain cook,etc. Rosedale Abbey area looks pretty good too.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

have a look on here perhaps?

haddock
    Free Member

Two of my faves, map OL 26:
    You can start at Sutton Bank head up the road NNE for about a mile then take the bridleway east for a similar distance, from here head North along the cliff edge on nice singletack go far North to the car park the other side of Black Hambleton (good descent) either pick up the road and bridleways heading south east then south towards Arden Hall and back the way you came or keep heading south towards Cold Kirby. The bridleway from Kepwick by the ‘dissused quarry’ marked ‘358m’ (about 2/3rds the way North) goes down to Arden hall through the woods, its technical and steep, well worth trying to incorporate.

The track that runs up Rudland Rig (starts a couple of miles to the north east of Gillamoor village), keeps going north to Bloworth crossing, here head west up onto Round Hill, Carr ridge, and loop south towards Nab End Moor, drop into Tripsdale, up the other side and follow the bridleways east through Bransdale valley and back up onto Rudland Rig, this rides better than the first if its wet or bank holiday (Sutton bank will be heaving with ramblers). enjoy.

didmatt
    Free Member

if you have a copy of Memory maps then you can download lots of routes here : http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/n_york_moors/all.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘North Yorkshire Moors – where should I ride?’ is closed to new replies.