Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • North-west Wales
  • mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Looks like I’m going to have 4 days riding in NW Wales in early September. Any suggestions of must do trail centre routes? Would also be open to any suggestions for “natural” routes in the area (not Snowdon, I’m saving that for later in the year).

Cheers

Mike

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Hi Mike, can’t recommend Coed-y-Brenin enough, could then go to Marin and Penmachno, then LLandegla (or is that too far East?) and don’t miss the Clwydians – some of the most under-rated natural riding IMHO!

Vortexracing

Conwy Mountain

bloody great

IMGP0991 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Rorschach
    Free Member

or

Junkyard
    Free Member

conwy mountain cracking route I rod eit with Vortex and others form this Parish cracking day – we hot 50* mph on the descent

48.2 mph but i was overtaken by the fat lads 😉

Vortexracing

Just think how fast Lowey will be on his slackened new 5 spot Johnny 😆

and your light is still at our house

RustySpanner

That descent from Drum down to Llanfairfechan is my favourite bit of trail anywhere.
    The route on the other side of the mountain through the old green gate and back to Conwy runs it pretty close though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh! Ooh! Me me me!

(Jumps up and down excitedly with hand in air)

I’m also there in early September. Prolly doing Penmachno might do the others but tbh, as Vortexracing and Rorsach have pointed out, it’s the natural stuff what’s the most rewarding imo.

It’s one of the most stunningly beautiful parts of England; don’t confine yourself to trail centres when there’s so much more great riding to be had.

God I’m so excited I can’t wait! I think I may burst before I even get there.

Be careful though cos there’s dragons about look here’s one:

Quite dangerous actually.

geoffj

It’s one of the most stunningly beautiful parts of London

FTFY 😆

RustySpanner

England!?!
    Bloody hell, don’t be saying that to the locals.

Great downhill blast from Llyn Anafon too.

Try and get a copy of the Bikefax Snowdonia book if you can.
    It’s full of brilliant routes.
    The Druids Circle ride is a properly good longer route, with some cheeky options and amazing views.

Dunno why, but I prefer riding in North Wales to anywhere else I’ve been.

Whyte1
    Free Member

Elfinsafety i hope you are joking or are you American ??? 👿

RustySpanner

He’s from Laahndon.

It’s not his fault.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s one of the most stunningly beautiful parts of London

🙄

Don’t be silly GeoffJ; even I know it’s not in London. It’s well past Watford.

Bloody hell, don’t be saying that to the locals.

Half of them are from Manchester and Liverpool! 😆

First time I ever went to Wales, as a kid, I thought I heard a mayn speaking ‘Welsh’.

Turned out he was a Geordie. 😐

Russell96

and throw in a lovely little climb at Rowen YHA to warm your legs up on the way to Drum

RustySpanner

That climb up past the YHA has nearly killed me on several occaissions.
    It’s horrible.

Prefer the cheekier bypass!

Vortexracing

pray tell what cheeky by pass? do you still get to do the drop pass the chapel?

I always end up not doing the drop past the chapel because of that bloody climb.

Russell96

Once went looking for a cheeky by pass to the cheeky by pass, ended up in the land that time forgot, ferns taller than me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I cut out the descent as I was struggling that day and declined –iirc there is a photo on Loweys blog of me in the recovery position …a week away with young kids had not prepared me well for the ride and early start…. I could have slept at any point on the ride
    Will mail you re light not dark enough yet to worry

Vortexracing

That looks like the back of Conwy mountain just to the right of the normal wide path russel96.

but then again it could be anywhere 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s one of the most stunningly beautiful parts of England;

Wales, you ignorant oik.

Russell96

@Vortex yes you would be correct with that it was an interesting day.

RustySpanner

Russell, that looks familiar!

We ended up hitting the Roman road past the YHA, coming from the right. We tried two footpaths over the south side of the mountain, did end up as a bit of a hike, but worth an explore.

Think we missed out the descent past the wall after the old church and headed up and over.
    Will check the map when I get home.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wales, you ignorant oik.

Well durr I know it’s in Wales, I’m just saying it’s one of the most beautiful parts of England. 😕 🙄

Like, The Lakes are in The Lake District but it’s still part of England, innit?

Conwy mountain itself is a good little ride. The road descent into that little village looks proper evil. Wanted to do it, but we had more riding to do and it’s a proper bastard climb back up.

Vortex do you know Kevevs off here? Are you on that NWMB forum thingy? I’ll be up there soon, and Binners off here is coming over too! 😀 Would be nice to have a little forum ride up that way.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wales is not a part of England. The Lake District is in England.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t be silly Flashy everyone knows Wales is part of England, like how Scotland is a suburb of Manchester I think.

Also planning to head into Snowdownia for a ride in some proper mountains. Not sure where though up to the Welsh people I’m staying with.

RustySpanner

Should be able to sort out some bunkhouse type accomodation in Llanberis if required, right next to the quarry. Much cheapness, great views.
    E mail in profile if needed.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Rusty; might very well take you up on that actually.

Love Llanberis. Pete’s Eats For The Win. What a top cafe. Burger the size of me own heid, for about four quid. Proper big mug of tea.

I will of course be looking for architectural inspiration for a special Wales edition of the Tuesday AA thread you know.

Russell96

Once did the YHA climb twice within the space of an hour the day Chunkpaul head butted a Landy there.

Vortexracing

Never met kevevs off here.

Mother in law has a static caravan just on the coast nar the marina at the bottom of Conwy mountain, so I get a sneaky ride or four every time we go there. 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bit of an aggressive move! Why did he do that?

I find myself quite chilled out when I’m there actually.

Vortex; we’ll be just by Deganwy station. I’ll be there 4th-12th September. Kevevs works in Llandudno ASDAs. He’s on the NWMB forum. Local lad, in’t he?

Russell96

Think he wanted a lift home in the helicopter.

Vortexracing

Llandudno ASDAs

bloody hell spent loads of time (and dosh) in there. It’s where we do the shopping when we go to the van.

I’ll see what I can sort for around those dates.

Was up there on Tuesday last, it was fantastic, hardly anybody around and the views and weather were spot on.

Whyte1
    Free Member

Come near Wales and i’ll let your tires down English boy 😆 . Lots of nice bits off the Marin too – loads of choice

RustySpanner

Me too Elf.

Go quite often, just feels like a weight has been lifted off every time I go.
    Nice people too, contrary to the common myth.

The ‘pizza and a pint for eight quid’ place, opposite the DMM factory at the end of the lake, the Ice Cream shop opposite Pete’s and the chippy are particular highlights.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m actually part Welsh myself, Whyte.

Yes it’s true. Hoping perhaps to visit my ancestral home when I’m up there. It’s an old woollen mill near Corwen, now part of the National Trust I understand. Some of me ancestors owned it. Probbly employed some of Flashy’s ancestors..

Whyte1
    Free Member

Elfinsafety there is some great riding up there too massive climbing but well worth it

summittoppler
    Free Member

He’s on the NWMB forum.

The forum is http://northwalesmtb.proboards.com/ and if you need any advice on routes from us locals then just shout up 😉

Got plenty of pics from my local rides that should tickle your fancy 😀
    http://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp117/summittoppler/

RustySpanner

Speaking of climbing, if this does turn into a meet, bring yer borstal breakout gym shoes and we might just be able to sort out a bit of gibbering terror as well.

Idwal slabs anyone?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Last time I went climbing I got in trouble for sitting in a little shelf bit, smoking a cig. Apparently this is ‘extremely dangerous’ according to the instructor. I pointed out that it was probbly a fair bit safer than dangling from ropes over a huge drop, but he weren’t having it.

RustySpanner

Just don’t have a spliff first.
    Don’t ask me how I know,, just don’t.

Giggling uncontrolably, half way up a pitch whilst those on the ground make sheep noises and sing ‘Send In The Clowns’ is frowned on, for some weird reason.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘North-west Wales’ is closed to new replies.