Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Non-rammed pubs in Brum tomorrow night (not nec. a long shot)
  • spud-face

Heyho campers,
    I shall be meeting a group of folk for low-key Xmas drinks tomorrow night in brum, and need to find some ideas for places that a dozen-ish peeps can hope to fit. I’ve a few ideas in the centre, but they’re more “may be able to squeeze in” than comfortably quiet.

Legend has is that there are places around the Jewellery Quarter that are surprisingly quiet, so any knowledge of slightly-out-of-town-but-still-near-enough-to-New-Street-station would be handy. Alehouses preferred over shiny shirt bars, but we’ll make do. Anything around the back of Digbeth? I keep noticing interesting looking places there when I pass by on the bus.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received, if all else fails they can make do with a case of Spesh in pigeon park

Cheers all
    (merry jesusday)

alanl
    Free Member

The Wellington, Bennets Hill is a fave of mine, loads of beer choice, generally packed, but, upstairs usually has a table free.
    I like the Shakespeare, over the road from the new New St. entrance, on Lwr Temple St., but it is always full, so most probably no good for 12.
    The Old Contemptibles is alright, and being slightly off the beaten track, may have some space.
    A walk to the JQ is a good bet – just 10 minutes walk from New St. should find a decent place, – loads of choice there.

spud-face

Cheers alanl, I’m presuming tomorrow will equate to rush hour (I’ve seemingly won the research role byvirtue of being the (ex-ish) heavy drinker of the group, despite not being resident (waves from the Merry Hill ‘spoons). The Welly’s going to be rammed, at the start of the night at least, I didn’t know they had an upstairs though (i rather thought the “upstairs to women’s toilets” sign was a real ale red herring). I’ve only ever been in the Shakespeare once, best part of ten years ago, as it’s Always rammed. Is it actually worth going to, or just because it’s near the station (the Trocadero’s been my go-to pub for years when coming home from elsewheres – midway from New st or the coach stations and snow hill, and everyone knows the holiday isn’t finished until you’re both in your own postcode and sober.
    *edit* I’m no authority on pub toilets (honest!) but the old contemptibles has the best gents’ I’ve seen!

somouk
    Free Member

The rose hill tavern in the JQ will be okay and so will the Red Lion in the JQ.

If you fancy it there is a lovely indian called the Viceroy just down from the Red Lion too!

Avoid St Pauls and places like the vaults, lots of xmas parties going on still.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The village inn up Hurst street.?

spud-face

That’s ace, cheers Somouk. I’d put a meal down as too much to hope for, if this lets me off takeaway food then I owe you one! Neils: I’m out of touch, is that a proper recommendation or a funny fun gay joke?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

jekyll n hide (small but they have an upstairs i think?) or the Victoria might be worth a shout, both good pubs.

or micro brewery old pub the craven arms by the mailbox, never been but would like too.

also Alfie Birds down by the custard factory somewhere…?

if all else fails, Bachus bar under the Burlington hotel, but been in about 5 times and only ever got a seat once!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Just pulling your leg. Its a cracking pub but will be packed to the rafters. Had a few nights out in Brum been dragged into the village on more than one occasion by the girlfriend and her mates.

mrben101
    Free Member

The Vic and Jekyll I think will be packed after 6pm. You might have more luck in Cherry Reds (just down the road from the Vic – also very nice. The RVT (rose villa tavern) and the red lion in the JQ are good as it The Church. What time are you going? I think daytime/very early evening you’ll be ok, but after 6/7 pm everywhere will be heaving.

Alfie Birds get very load, very quickly on a Saturday. Not the best if you want to chat – great pizza though! Old contemptbles does a decent pint. The Welly will be packed but great beer selection.

spud-face

I think we’re meeting up at 7pm, so it’s bound to be tricky. my reckoning is that if I allow the Ooo-Err milling around to start, we’ll end up getting nowhere (and I’ll have a tantrum), so if I can at least take charge and march authoritatively toward somewhere I can wing the rest of it. Fair do’s mister neils, you and all the other folk have nudged home the fact i need to get my exploring hat on around brum again – so many of these I’ve not heard of.

Cheers all, much appreciated

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Non-rammed pubs in Brum tomorrow night (not nec. a long shot)’ is closed to new replies.