Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Nice road ride routes from Dunster / Minehead?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Any suggestions? Looking for some nice routes to do in the evening, couple of hours (~40 miles) and maybe a longer one (~60 miles). Must be some good riding round Exmoor and Quantocks. Thanks.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Must be some good riding round Exmoor and Quantocks.

Loads if you like hills 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

For the shorter route I think I’d go Dunster, Wheddon Cross, Dunkery Beacon, Porlock, Minehead and back to Dunster.

For the longer route I think I’d go Dunster, Minehead, Porlock (take the toll road as the A39 Porlock Hill is a killer) Lynmouth, Simonsbath, Exford, Wheddon Cross and back to Dunster.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds good, thanks. Sounds like it may be a good idea to swap out my usual 11-23 standard setup 🙂

christhetall
    Free Member

The ascent of Dunkery Beacon all the way from Porlock is a classic, a real beauty – you’re almost sad when the road starts leveling out (almost!)

Porlock Hill is a much busier road, so the toll road sounds a better option to get you on your way to Lynmouth, where there is another very steep hill which takes you up to the Valley of the Rocks which is stunning.

Heading back to Porlock, theres a lovely quiet road than runs parallel to the A39 via Brendon and malmstead. I rode it westwards (I was heading for Bude), but I reckon it would work much better in the opposite direction – just watch out for the pheasants

mrblobby
    Free Member

Splendid, thanks. Shall get busy programming the garmin 🙂

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Good route is Minehead to Duster then upto Weddon cross then Exford to Simonsbath then Lymington and back up Countesbury hill that’s a nice climb then you can come down Porlock hill.Can do it the other way Porlock is tuff climb problem with climbing Porlock you are breathing a lot fumes cars going up plus braking fumes etc.Stinks going up there on a bike great view up top.If you want a KILLER climb go from Luccombe over the top of Dunkery Beacon now that is a serious climb on a road bike.

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you really want an unpleasant road climb head over to the Quantocks and try Crowcombe Combe, the nastiest climb in the area as far as I’m concerned.

pete68
    Free Member

Hi Mr blob by. When are you coming down. I’m also from newbury and am sat in dunster as I read this. You’ll be going some to average 20mph around here. Barely any flat anywhere!

Dibbs
    Free Member

You’ll be going some to average 20mph15mph around here. Barely any flat anywhere!

😉

ceepers

If you’ve got it’s a compact up front and 11-28 out back and your legs will thank you!

Porlock toll is not to be missed and the climb from Lee Abbey at valley of the rocks towards Woody bay mentioned above is good. Countisbury hill (a39) into lynmouth is a super fast descent (watch fir sheep) or a cliff edge long climb.

Almost everything is hilly and spectacular!

KungFuPanda
    Free Member

This is also my home turf so I can confirm what everyone says about the hilliness. What you will also find is that theres usually a strong westerly wind blowing which can also add to your suffering and reduce those averages.

Dibbs – completely agree about Crowcombe Hill, its a brute, and its unrelenting with a nasty final kick up but I reckon the climb up to Raleighs Cross on the B3224 is just as tough.

ceepers

You can count on 100 feet climbed for every mile cycled which is about the same as the Lake District in my experience!

The climb from lynmouth out past watersmeet towards simonsbath is another good one – it’s in the 100 climbs book

It’s probably a bit far west but joses lane from hunters inn at heddons mouth is a real picturesque climb

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all. Just checking out some of the avg speeds for some of the KOMs round here, think I’m going to be doing a lot of grinding with lowest gearing being 39-25! Not brilliant for training really, should have packed the compact chain set. Sort of wish I’d brought the mtb as there are some nice looking trails pretty much from the door.

Pete68, think this’ll make a bit of a change from our local riding! You down with the bike?

pete68
    Free Member

Mr blobby, yes I’m down here with the bike. Road bike thus time , but a compact with a 11-32 cassette. The mountain biking is excellent as well and I’ll be on that next time I’m down.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Enjoyed that after 4 days off the bike doing family stuff. Had trouble downloading routes to the Garmin so just did a ride pretty much from Minehead up via Weddon Cross towards Simonsbath till I ran out of time and headed back the same way (this). Avoided the stupid steep stuff due to inappropriate gearing! Think if I lived this way I’d be investing a new bike with discs as some of the descents were a bit crazy 🙂

Will be a bit more adventurous if there is a next time out.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I reckon the climb up to Raleighs Cross on the B3224 is just as tough.

I find that easier as the gradient changes and gives you a chance for a breather, there’s nowhere to hide on Crowcombe.

pete68
    Free Member

Did a nice 60 miler from Porlock yesterday. Up the toll road ,through Bredon and rockford, b road across the Moor to Simonsbath. South from here and across Anstey common to Dulverton. Then Brompton Regis towards Luxborough then dunster. Then back roads to Wooton Courtney, Selworthy, Bossington and back to Porlock. I’ve got the shimano hydro brakes which certainly make the steep descents easier. Probably do this route again on Thursday with the wife. Bit different to our local riding eh , Mr blobby?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Pretty much all of my riding is around this area, I upgraded to Shimano hydro road discs at the start of the year and they’ve been superb. Someone was on here a while saying discs weren’t necessary on a road bike, they may not be necessary, but they make life so much easier round here.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Concur about the discs. Never feel the need for better brakes for my local riding, but down here I’d be tempted.

Pete68, yes very different. Would love to bring the bike down and do some exploring sometime. Enjoy the long hills, can get into a nice rhythm on them.

acehtn
    Free Member

🙂
    Heard many a tale of 50+mph descents on some of the hills.

More from the canti/v-brake era of mountain bikes….. but the smell of melting brake pads was a hint to leave a big gap to the smelly rider so if/when the heat transfer through the rim popped the inner tube you could stop in time yourself, happy days 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I can well believe it. Didn’t do any of the properly steep stuff and I still managed 46mph 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Nice road ride routes from Dunster / Minehead?’ is closed to new replies.