Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Newcastle Roadies – Assistance Required
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

Hello,
    Visiting my girlfriend in Newcastle this weekend but it looks like I’ll have saturday all or mostly free and will have my road bike up with me. Anyone got any recommendations for a really good 80-150km ride from Heaton? Preferably one that’s fairly simple to navigate.

Cheers,
    Sam

paulosoxo
    Free Member

See if you can find a Northern Rock Cyclone route online maybe?

butcher

There’s some excellent riding up on and towards the moors if you head west. You can get up there on railway paths if you prefer to avoid the traffic, and then you have some excellent, quiet and open roads with some serious hills, up and down. Etape Pennines is on this weekend I think though, so some of them might be closed…I forget if that’s Saturday or Sunday.

Or head north into Northumberland, which I don’t know so well, but I’m pretty sure there’s some good riding to be had up there too.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Paulosoxo: cheers, they look good so long as I can make it out to Ponteland without dying… I’m thinking somewhere between loops B and C would be great.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Cool, that might well be a sensible way to finish the ride. Just found this incidentally, quite a handy way to identify popular riding roads in an area. http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

jonba
    Free Member

Gosforth. Road club ride on sat morn. Always welcome new riders. 6o miles easy pace.

Most other clubs ride out on sat and sun so maybe do some googling?

I’d head north through ponteland to rothbury, then to Elsdon over bilsmore then back over winter’s gibbet through combo and belsay.

Might have some GPS files if you want.

Drac

Well Jonba has covered what I was going to suggest as a route, Elsdon has a cracking tearoom to boot.

carbon337
    Free Member

Elsdon – (Cafe) via gibbet – then bilsmoor east and around up to holystone back bilsmoor heading west back up the gibet – or the big cyclone loop from there website.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Cheers guys. That’s great, looks like some variation on the Rothbury Loop’s a goer and I know the roads reasonably well (I’m good on roads to crags). I’m tempted by the club ride idea but it would be my first and I wouldn’t want to a.) hold people up and/or b.) knock people over…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Thanks for the help all, looks like this might be the plan… http://goo.gl/maps/9TDpG
    Lots of potential to Shorten it out if I come over all big girls blouse…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Personally I’d do less on the A68. Head to Wark from Bellingham, cross the river, past Chipchase to Barrasford, then up A6079.
    But you MUST go up the Ryals. Compulsory riding 🙂

paul78
    Free Member

I’m tempted by the club ride idea but it would be my first and I wouldn’t want to a.) hold people up and/or b.) knock people over…

You won’t be out your depth at the Gosforth … trust me.

lemonysam
    Free Member

ir_bandito: Cheers for that, that looks much better: http://goo.gl/maps/o4x8t

Paul78: Cheers for that, I’ll see how I feel on saturday morning.

paul78
    Free Member

I am without bike or would of gladly shown you a decent road ride … a ton of good stuff once you get out side city centre which is only a short ride

LardLover
    Free Member

MSteel Cycles have a small but friendly road club that goes out on a Saturday morning (meet ready to ride outside of MSteel Cycles for 08.30).

STATO
    Free Member

Since this has turned into a locals thread, dont forget the cycle jumble is on tomorrow (Sunday) down at the cycle hub cafe on the quayside.

Rich.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Cheers all, top ride was had. Round rothbury, elsdon, Bellingham and back via Wark & the Ryals Very tired now, beer & pizza time..

STATO: we’re heading down that way tomorrow so will probably drop in. Do you know what time it’s running?

STATO
    Free Member

Crikey that sounds like a cracking ride. The gibbet climb out of Elsdon is one of my favourites.

Jumble starts at 10 when the cafe opens but its on till 2ish (tho no-one is really in charge, its just an open table/stall policy so some folks set-up later and some leave early).

lemonysam
    Free Member

Cool, we might well pop in. If you see a tall speccy chap limping round feeling sorry for himself and his girlfriend giving his suffering short shrift, that’ll be us.

I didn’t come out on the gibbett, headed over toward otterburn and over the moor. Save that for next time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Newcastle Roadies – Assistance Required’ is closed to new replies.