Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Newbie – dirty ride advise please
  • Normy
    Free Member

Hiiii!

Bought my 2013 zesty few weeks back now, only got out on it once so far and am planning on a big ride tomorrow with a mate.

Now, as it stands its still my baby. It’s still shiny. It’s still spangly. It’s still new. So I’m scared.

I know that in this weather it will be the last time I see it like this. I’ve got all the cleaning stuff in the garage , chain cleaning device, brushes for gears etc.

My question is, is there anything I can do before the ride to help maintain my new bike??? I’ve got wet lube which I believe will save the drivetrain. Is there anything else I can do???

And what about my forks and the shock??? I’m pretty new to all this stuff but do I need to maintain them at all?? Or do I just stop being a pansy…. And just ride it then clean it. And then get it services in between winter/summer???

Any advice much appreciated!!!

bradley
    Free Member

just ride it then clean it. And then get it services in between winter/summer

ajantom

A dirtworker/mobi type of spray washer makes life easier.
    Regular application of fork juice (or similar silicon based lube) and a good wipe after every ride to the forks and shock will prolong life and stops as much crap sticking.

mintimperial

Just ride the damn thing, it’s a mountain bike not a Ming vase. 🙂

Rinse the mud off it afterwards, lube the chain or it’ll go rusty, don’t get any oil anywhere near your brake callipers or rotors, and take it to a decent bike shop if it starts making weird noises or playing up.

Normy
    Free Member

Lovely! It’s what I was hoping! I’ll go out and get filthy tomorrow then… In show by the looks of it!

Pics to follow….

Thanks for the advice! 🙂

crazy-legs

Spray the underside of the downtube, the back of the seattube and maybe the wheel rims with GT85 (being careful not to let the wind blow it all over your disc rotors…).

Don’t wipe it off, just let it evaporate. It’ll leave a nice layer of teflon there and it’ll make it a lot easier to wipe all the mud off afterwards!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I use this on my 24 hour race bike- it makes the frame slippery and so it’s much easier to clean dirt off (useful inbetween laps) and it makes your bike shiny. Apply after washing.

http://muc-off.com/en/bicycle/96-bike-spray.html?category=motorcycle&gclid=CM736Zqfk7YCFY3LtAodI1kAXA

I’ve spoken to a few customers who love this stuff. It does make a bike look like new, but I’ve never used it.

http://muc-off.com/en/stage-2-protect/23-miracle-shine-polish.html?category=bicycle

And get some normal bike cleaner- I use this, which you can dilute 10x in a squirty bottle for normal bike wash, and use it neat to degrease the chain and stuff.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fenwicks-bike-cleaner-fs-1-concentrate-id26587.html?gclid=CPyviI-gk7YCFUbMtAodNHcApw

Keep all of these away from your disc brakes, well away.

Normy
    Free Member

Taaaaaaa!!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Just ride the damn thing, it’s a mountain bike not a Ming vase.

This 🙂 every scratch and every dent is a tale to remember. When she’s really tatty you get a custom paint job. Ride the bike; make the memories.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Helitape the parts prone to cable rub/ heel rub ifyou havent got any a few bits of electrical tape will suffice until you buy some

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Newbie – dirty ride advise please’ is closed to new replies.