Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Wheels – tubeless, 'mid' width – anything other than Pro2/Flow?
  • higgo
    Free Member

About to dabble in tubeless again but doing it properly this time after a couple of frustrating ghetto attempts (which I don't particularly want to talk about 😥 ).

I've currently got a mix of XT and Hope Pro2 hubs and prefer the Hopes. I also use either DT5.1 and Halo Freedom rims, so sort of 'mid' wide and 'mid' weight.

Looking around I keep coming back to Hope Pro2/Stans Flow. Anything else I should be considering?

Price is important.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The Hope/Flow choice is a popular one for a very good reason. It's what I started with and now what I'm rolling out across all my mountain bikes. Might fit an Alpine rim to the wife's bike but again, the Flow would be no problem there either.

stevomcd
    Free Member

If you've already got DT5.1s, why don't you just get the DT conversion kit for those? Use with proper UST tyres and they work very, very well. (No punctures last summer in a whole season of Alpine guiding!).

br
    Free Member

I've a DT5.1 running on Pro 2's and a Stans kit. No probs whatsoever.

schmiken

American Classics?

njee20
    Free Member

The Hope Hoops are such stunning value it's difficult to recommend anything else unless you want to go wildly different.

AM Classics or DT240s would bring the weight down, but cost twice as much as the Hoops!

higgo
    Free Member

If you've already got DT5.1s, why don't you just get the DT conversion kit for those?

That's the sensible option but I quite fancy some shiny new stuff.

Maybe worth it to (a) see if UST is for me and (b) save a bit of money for other shiny new bits elsewhere on the bike?

The conversion kits just seem to be a lot of money for a bit of plastic and a split valve.

I'm stripping the bike down for something else at the moment so will have a good look at the hubs and rims (all quite old) and have a think about it.

Burls72
    Free Member

How strong do they have to be? EX721's make a really strong wheel especially in 36 hole but if you don't need them that strong as said flows.

higgo
    Free Member

American Classics?

I'd love some.

LBS has some of the road ones and they look and feel really, really nice. I'm sure he'd get me some MTB ones but they're more than I'm prepared to spend. I'm avoiding popping in there until I've got the wheels sorted in case I have a moment of weakness!

Northwind

Buying anything but Flows wouldn't make any sense IMO but as you've already got 5.1s it'd be a shame not to just convert those if you ask me. Buying them with converting in mind would be a bad shout but it's not the same thing.

hora
    Free Member

Ok (hijack)..

If it had to be either Hope Pro on flow or Hope Pro on 5.1- is there much in it?

I can buy a Hope/5.1 for £157 or a Hope/flow for £170.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Flows are lighter for the same width and greater strength. I've had both 5.1s and Flows and 5.1s are the only rims I've actively disliked due to their "made of cheese" nature and supertight tyre fitting problems.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Wheels – tubeless, 'mid' width – anything other than Pro2/Flow?’ is closed to new replies.