Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New trails in North Manchester – An appeal
  • Harry_the_Spider

As some of you may know there are some new trails being constructed in Philips Park (home of the legendary HTN), Manchester.

I’ve had an email form the chap responsible with the following request…

Nice though it is to have the interest, I’m getting a bit worried about bike-laden cars turning up at Philips before we’ve built the trail; We don’t want an increase in biking on the footpaths or wildlife areas – and trying out the mtb trail before it’s finished can give the contractor construction problems. I’m wondering if you could put out word for people to hold off until June.

So, please hold off until it is finished.

Thanks.

binners

Yeah! Get back in your Audi’s, you lot!! There’s a car park for you to ride around at Llandegla!!! 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Bump

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bump.

We don’t to jeapordise the successful completion of this project so please heed this request.

Fanks.

terrahawk
    Free Member

People have been turning up in ‘bike laden cars’ for years, especially since the trails at Waterdale (down the valley) were completed.

Are they now not allowed? I’m off to Philips Park now, should I don a mask?

Harry_the_Spider

No, the full email from the council mentioned the work in progress in Philips. I think that people are riding on the new footpaths (mtb trails aren’t in yet) or damaging the unfinished surface.

Maybe a couple of signs with a note of explanation and a projected completion date are required.

RustySpanner

More than happy to stay off the new bike specific trails ’till completion, but which are the footpaths/wildlife areas?

Genuinely thought the whole area was open access.
    Oops.

Harry_the_Spider

There is some stuff in Waterdale that is fenced off. The rest is fair game AFAIK.

The park is a nature reserve with some sort of ancient earth works in it. They will want everyone to stick to the trails once they are built to avoid upsetting any bearded tits.

markimba
    Free Member

Hi all, I am responsible for designing / building the new trails at Philips Park. I am happy to do a walk round of the new trail on Sunday 15th April at 11am (meet at the top car park) to show riders what we have been up to / are planning for those who are interested in the site.

The trails in Waterdale are still open to ride, we just ask that you are respectful of other users of Philips Park and stay off the designated footpaths (that’s most of the park!) until we finish the new trails.

The new route should be finished by June and open for all to ride, in the mean time if you see ‘finished’ sections of trail please stay off them as it causes damage to the trail surface if ridden before it has time to settle.

If you want to know more information feel free to email me mark.mcclure@imba.org.uk

Cheers

Mark

terrahawk
    Free Member

Is the with people turning up and riding footpaths (that have been in regular use for years) or has there been an incident or some kind of conflict with a cyclist/walker?

markimba
    Free Member

Im not sure if there has been an incident, although walkers I have spoken to on the park suggest there is a conflict issue between mtb’ers and pedestrians… personally I think that if riders slow down and even give way to walkers there shouldn’t be an issue, however I think the council are nervous that ‘floods’ of riders are entering the park before there is specific provision for them that could prove damaging. I have been at Philips on a number of weekends and seen tonnes of bikers, non of them were terrorizing pedestrians and I personally don’t see the issue but if Bury Council are paying out to build a new trail then respecting their wishes is worth while in order to see a new kick-ass route in place!

RustySpanner

Hello Mark.

Personally, have never experienced any kind of conflict with any other trail users in the area.
    TBH, it’s always seemed like the perfect example of cooperative, shared access.

Can’t really see any reason why this shouldn’t continue to be the case.

I’m very surprised that walkers have mentioned a conflict issue – all the non cyclists we’ve encountered, walkers, runners and horse riders have without exception said how nice it is to see the area being enjoyed by everyone.

Eggbox
    Free Member

I will comply with the request to stay of the WIP trails. Thats fair enough.

But I would say that having ridden regularly down there for over 20 years that lots of people have always ridden there well before the recent stuff was introduced. In all the time I have ridden there I have never seen or experienced cross words with any pedestrian or park worker (never even seen one).

I don’t think it’s in anyone’s interest to start pointing fingers. I accept there will be dogs not on leads, idiots on MX bikes, burnt out cars, fly tipping and doggers in the car park. I accept that because much of the park is poluted wasteland, used by a really small percentage of the population…and thats the way I like it. 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

I will comply with the request to stay of the WIP trails. Thats fair enough.

But I would say that having ridden regularly down there for over 20 years that lots of people have always ridden there well before the recent stuff was introduced. In all the time I have ridden there I have never seen or experienced cross words with any pedestrian or park worker (never even seen one).

spot on

D0NK

Is this anything to do with some work I’ve seen here

or if not do you know what the linked thing is? my thread about it

terrahawk
    Free Member

Nope. Wrong side of the river. Quite a long way from the river in fact.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New trails in North Manchester – An appeal’ is closed to new replies.