Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New tenants next door – what are my rights?
  • DT78
    Free Member

So, about a month ago new tenants moved into next door.

It appears there are quite a lot of them, and I think they taken over both the front room and dining room as bedrooms. In the process they’ve dumped 3 sofas, table / chairs and other crap in the front garden.

After 3 weeks I asked them politely if they were planning on shifting these any time soon, to which they replied ‘of course’. I kind of assumed this meant to the tip, however all they’ve done is moved everything to the back garden and just dumped in a massive pile, as we only have 4 foot high fences this is a real eyesore, and I’d imagine won’t take too long before the fabric starts smelling of damp.

I wondering if I should try to find out who the landlord is next door to have a word – I actually think the furniture that has been chucked out was most likely the landlords too…

I doubt I have any rights whatso ever to contact the council about nextdoors backgarden being used as a dump?

We were planning on putting the house up for sale in the next couple of months too 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Phone council for sure on both issues, flat should have a HMO licence for starters.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Tell the council you thought you saw rats running in and out of the sofas.

RichJJ
    Free Member

+1 for the HMO approach.

DT78
    Free Member

Good suggestion, on the rats front. Maybe I’ll give them another knock and enquire politely if they are going to shift it anytime soon – if I’m ignored (or it’s moved to the alley behind the house) I’ll call the council

It’s a victorian 3 bed terrace, so at least 7 living there now I think, which I’m also not too pleased about but sadly I doubt I have any come back on that.

(house wasn’t rented out when we bought ours, but subsequently got bought up by a developer)

googling HMO now….

john_drummer
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6hxZ8ze-eY[/video]

project
    Free Member

If theyre all related its not a HMO,

DT78
    Free Member

Not sure if a HMO applies tbh

What is an HMO?

The term House in Multiple Occupation refers to a rental property which falls into one of the following criteria:

•A house which is split into bedsits
    •A house, or flatshare, where each of your tenants has their own tenancy agreement
    •Students who live in shared accommodation
    HMO also refers to Bed & Breakfast accommodation and hostels which are not used just for holidays.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Currently going through something similar at the minute, however the property is empty, but garden is full of rubbish.

After many phones calls we were told we needed to speak to someone from the councils ‘Private Sector Housing’ section and was advised again to make a fuss with regard to pests if that didnt work. Needn’t have worried, they were on it pronto, and served the landlord with a notice of rectification under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 >
    Clicky
    If the occupior or landlord fail to act they can come in themselves and recify the issues and bill the landlord.

HTH

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You can mail me with questions if you want.

alternatively lots of free correct advice if you click my name.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Hmm, I might bookmark this thread for future use.

About 3 months ago new tenants moved in next door, I have a nagging doubt that the future holds a few problems

Not as bad as the OP’s (yet) but only time will tell.

I hope that my first impressions of my new neighbours are wrong.

mrmo
    Free Member

Not to knock the situation but, you have to wonder about tenacy in general. The house i am renting needs some work, the agency isn’t interested. Now i could go and buy some paint, but i could be given notice tomorrow. So what is the point.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Steve, I’m going to try to speak to them again first before I follow up any more formal lines. I’ll drop you a mail in the near future for a bit of help.

Re tenancy, I think it#s down to the individuals to be honest. I lived in student digs for 4 years, I didn’t go chucking rubbish out in the street, I even painted one place for free (landlord paid for paint).

kimbers

similar problem regarding the rubbish front garden with our neighbour

emailed the council last week, mentioning possible vermin and my young baby

ta-da ! he cleaned it up yesterday, they mustve got in touch

DT78
    Free Member

Well, happy ending, came home this week, all the stuff sorted. Whether another neighbour asked/complained I don’t know….

cbike
    Free Member

Also remember to make use of your Housing association if there is one, and your councillor’s and MP’s if it get serious.

I don’t muck about. My neighbours think I am the concierge.

uplink
    Free Member

SaxonRider

Good suggestion, on the rats front. Maybe I’ll give them another knock and enquire politely if they are going to shift it anytime soon – if I’m ignored (or it’s moved to the alley behind the house) I’ll call the council

It’s a victorian 3 bed terrace, so at least 7 living there now I think, which I’m also not too pleased about but sadly I doubt I have any come back on that.

(house wasn’t rented out when we bought ours, but subsequently got bought up by a developer)

googling HMO now….

The landlord may not know that there are that many people inside. A good friend had ‘two’ tenants move in next door, and when they began making lots of noise and it became fairly clear there were more than two people living there, my friend called the landlord, and the tenants were evicted within two weeks for breach of tenancy agreement.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New tenants next door – what are my rights?’ is closed to new replies.