Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New Swallows and Amazons film being made.
  • wwaswas

*does that excited ‘Sqquuuueeee’ thing*

My favourite book from childhood.

Loved the original film too.

hopefully this url will work

Pigface
    Free Member

Read and re read all the books as a kid, hated all the films as The Walkers and Blacketts dont look like they do in my imagination 😆

Brilliant books but the D’s were a bit dull.

spooky_b329

Like, except your link is broken!

wwaswas

edited, thanks

slowoldman

Blimey. One of our teachers in infant school used to read that to us. Along with Famous Five. I suspect a certain amount was lost on kids growing up in a pit village.

footflaps

Yep, I read all the books as a kid and absolutely loved them. Always disappointed that the Lake District doesn’t match the maps in the books.

ourmaninthenorth

Loved the books, even in land locked Oxfordshire. Don’t really remember the original film.

Hopefully film will be a U (or OG at worst) so I can show it to my daughter.

(Mrs North’s idyllic childhood storier were the Anne of Green Gables series by LM Montgomery – we’ve ended up with a strong-willed, red-haired daughter)

fannybaws
    Free Member

“BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WONT DROWN”

spooky_b329

S&A was the first proper book I was given, didn’t think much of it before opening the cover but was hooked soon after. Read all the Arthur Ransom books and probably reread S&A four times again since 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

That’s brilliant news 😀

Looking forward to seeing this new adaptation and stunning Lakes vista’s 😀

I too loved the books and read them all many times over. Coot Club and The Big Six are particular favourites as I’ve sailed all over the Broads since I was an egg and know the river Bure around Horning particularly well.

Drac

God no they’ll ruin it.

Smudger666

Yeah, fond memories of the book. -we read it as a class project and I won the teachers copy for doing the best book review afterwards – so proud!

Hope the film captures the feel of the books.

milky1980
    Free Member

God no they’ll ruin it.

That’s what I fear. The only film adaptation of a book that I’ve liked was LOTR as it had such a vast scale for everything. The trouble is that books are imagined differently by every reader, films paint it all for you so you’re rarely going to agree with the director’s interpretation.

CountZero

Drac – Moderator
    God no they’ll ruin it.

Let’s give it a chance to be made first, before condemning it out of hand.
    I’m sure you know that the 1974 film wasn’t the first version, there was a 1963 BBC TV series, with Susan George as Kitty, (not Titty) Walker. Ransome apparently hated it.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallows_and_Amazons_(1963_television_series)
    I love the books, I have most of them as hardcovers, many of those are around fifty years old now, and I’ve got many of them in iBooks as well, and I still enjoy reading them.
    Several years ago in Salcombe I saw a lovely little sailing boat, clinker hull, red gaff-rigged sail, looked just like Swallow, so I hung around until the woman sailing her came ashore and asked about the boat. Turned out she was a member of the trust who owned the Nancy Blackett, the sailing boat that Ransome owned and lived onwhen he wrote We Didn’t Mean To Go To Sea.
    The little boat was an almost exact replica of a dingy built in the 1930’s, with a fibreglass hull made using a mould taken from the original wooden hull, with teak and brass fittings.
    She’s slightly longer than Swallow, but not by much.
    Lovely little boat, and the Nancy Blackett is used to take small groups of people out on cruises.

Drac

Let’s give it a chance to be made first, before condemning it out of hand.

I have fond memories of the first film as a kid and that’s what it’ll ruin.

That said I did see part of it awhile back and it’s not aged well.

Greybeard
    Free Member

The plot summary in the OP’s link is not very accurate, at least not compared to the book:

But when the Walker’s uncle Jim is revealed to be a spy

Two errors of ‘fact’ (and one of grammar!) in one sentence.

househusband

I do recall finding the film a bit of an ‘awakening’ as a very young teenager… 😉

Drac

Two errors of ‘fact’ (and one of grammar!) in one sentence.

Uncle Jim beloning to the Walker family, so it’s Walker’s.

RustySpanner

I only read it for the first time last year. 🙂
    Loved it.

Looking forward to taking my grand daughter.

globalti
    Free Member

Does The Lake District need more tourists?

RustySpanner

Don’t worry, they’ll have a change of heart & set it in America.

footflaps

I wonder if they’ll bring it up to date with huge power boats, high speed chases, lots of CGI explosions and rocket packs?

globalti
    Free Member

No, Social Services will step in, prosecute the parents for health & safety offences and put Captain Flint on the sex offenders’ register.

porter_jamie

Uncle jim does not belong to the Walker family

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New Swallows and Amazons film being made.’ is closed to new replies.