Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • New Superstar Tesla hub – anyone any insight/bought one?
  • james
    Free Member

Ive just seen superstar* have a new rear hub out. It looks almost exactly what I’d be after for a hub
    (300g ish, really quick engagement (60), not too ‘shouty’ graphics, not mega ££) 10mm thru-bolt ability

*Yes, yes I know, the general concencus on superstar is far from positive on here

Anybody know anything more about whats up on their site? (there are no reviews)
    Like who its made by? I know the switch one is Novatech, but these tesla ones look a bit different

I seem to remember reading of people finding supertars 120point hubs of old were slipping within a few months. The blurb also says: “with 3×2 double tooth freehub for bombproof reliability ” an assumption or two has me thinking this might be (an attempt?) a fix for any slippage issues of old?

jonk

Just find out what the hub is i.e joytech, novatech, formula and trot off to ebay and buy it at half the price.

benpinnick

I have a rear sat on my desk:

Not had a chance to build it yet though, but probably will in the next week or so if you’re not in a hurry to find out how it goes.

nicemates
    Free Member

….. thread bump*

Really interested in finding out what these are like, anyone got any experiences?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have them, no issues so far, the 15mm conversion isn’t the best but Again no issues

composite
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading of people finding supertars 120point hubs of old were slipping within a few months. The blurb also says: “with 3×2 double tooth freehub for bombproof reliability ” an assumption or two has me thinking this might be (an attempt?) a fix for any slippage issues of old?

The superstar hubs that had the issues with the free hub were the superlegga I believe. Used the switch evo hubs on 2 different wheels sets for 12 months now with no problems. Not used the tesla though.

andyrm
    Free Member

I know the Tesla has bigger bearings than the Switch and should be stiffer as a result. The bearings are SKF which have a higher than normal grease fill, to help prevent them drying out.

I’m going to be running a set fairly soon based on the performance of my Switch hubs that have been excellent.

🙂

nicemates
    Free Member

Good stuff thanks guys, Just ordered myself a set built onto Arch EX rims, looking forward to seeing what they’re like. Seem very good on paper… a few mixed reviews on the switch hubs I’ve seen but nothing bad about these yet.

davosaurusrex

Sorry to urinate on your chips but I took my new bike for it’s first outing today, Teslas on Pacenti TL28s. Less than 10 miles in, short granny gear climb, rear hub let go, slipping and no drive. Long walk/ coast home, emailed SS, got the standard ‘great pride in our products’ etc response. Rear wheel will be returned tomorrow and I suppose I’ll give them one more go but really I’ve lost all faith in them. Been running the same set of Pro 2s for 4 years previously with no issues and I can’t remember the last time I had to push a bike home, can’t say it was fun. Already considering replacements, shame really as I loved the quick engagement, the noise and they looked awesome in the techno green. Balls.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Sorry to urinate on your chips but I took my new bike for it’s first outing today, Teslas on Pacenti TL28s. Less than 10 miles in, short granny gear climb, rear hub let go, slipping and no drive. Long walk/ coast home,

don’t buy DMR then 😉

davosaurusrex

DMR hubs? Have to admit their stuff doesn’t even register with me for consideration these days and they’re only round the corner

nicemates
    Free Member

Just going to pretend I didn’t read that, and put my soggy chips in the bin….
    The wheels look nice..

Northwind

Couple of people I know have the Teslas, seem happy with them. It’s always crap if something fails on the first ride, but the flipside is that it’s never more likely to fail.

AlexSimon

Fingers crossed for my Teslas now after reading that!
    I like the sound (quite a quiet whirrr) and the quick engagement, so lets hope they last.
    My other bikes are Hope Pro IIs, but I couldn’t quite stretch to them this time.

superdale
    Free Member

I’m trying to decide between a rear Tesla or a Hope Pro 2. Have emailed SS about servicing but not very helpful. Just quoted 2 year warranty but thats not much use if the above happens in the Alps! Anyone know can you service the freehub like you can a Hope, does it need a special tool, or is it a return to SS job only? Thanks.

davosaurusrex

Was tempted to pull mine apart for a look but didn’t want to create a warranty get out clause so left well alone I’m afraid.

nicemates
    Free Member

3 rides in, so far so good. I really hope they last because I absolutely LOVE the speed of engagement, feels very crisp. The sound is hard to get used to, sounds a little like your tyres going down.
    ..please don’t break..

andyrm
    Free Member

One product fails among how many hundreds, or more likely thousands sold so far. That’s neither statistically valid or in any way representative.

It’s unfortunate, it’s a shame you had to walk home, but it’s also a warranty job so no worry.

Plenty of Hope hubs were cracking their Maxle compatible axles, but it was never picked up online as a “problem”.

Just saying…..

dlr

Nicemates how loud are they? I run switch hubs, had to sell my hopes as they quite literally gave me a headache. Was considering tesla for next set but not if loud

davosaurusrex

The fact I haven’t heard of any more failures makes me hopeful I was just unlucky. Back with superstar now, waiting to hear back. 3 days so far…..
    In terms of noise they are much quieter than hopes, more of a muted higher frequency whirring noise.
    I had heard about the hope maxle problem, bet it wasn’t such a pain in the backside to get sorted though!

nicemates
    Free Member

No where near as loud as hopes, quite subtle really. If you really listen theres a constant buz but it wouldn’t warn a walker when your coming up behind them… drawback.

29erKeith
    Free Member

DMR free hub problems here in the past too, on an Easton build, good wheels bad freehubs. Plus the local and only DMR stockiest was rude and unhelpful

I wouldn’t buy a wheel with a DRM free hub again personally

martinhutch

One product fails among how many hundreds, or more likely thousands sold so far. That’s neither statistically valid or in any way representative.

OP asked for experiences, and got them, that’s all. I guess the positive stories about Superstar stuff are invalid also, by that measure.

In the absence of published data on return and failure rates in these hubs, it will have to do.

andyrm
    Free Member

Far from it – just pointed out that stats are the important thing here. We’ve all seen the “Urge Archi Enduro chopped off my face” thing that went from a man in a badly fitted helmet having a big crash, to an online myth of a dangerous helmet.

I’m confident the Tesla will be a great hub. My Switch Evos have done over 3000km, couple of bearing swaps and 2 very easy freehub clean & service (actually easier than my old Hopes) and they’re good as new. Real world experience with me and everyone I know who runs them (20+) suggests a totally reliable hubset. The importang thing is ratio of warranty returns to sales.

james
    Free Member

Noise isn’t excessive, probably Hope XC ballpark, a lot quieter than Pro2’s
    Some use since late december and they quietened down a bit. Went to have a look and the freehub slid off (17mm nuts were loose). Similar to hope you can see/get at the ratchetting mechanism. Rebuilt with 17mm nuts lightly done up to compromise to keep the bearings spinning smooth
    A few more rides in and I’m not sure whether the freehub is slipping under medium-high pedalling pressure (lightish flattish use okay), or my drivetrain is knacked. Came on a bit suddenly (though bent chain link could have bent my mech or something). What threw my assumptions were later on in my ride is that it started to work under medium pedalling pressures, didn’t get chance to try a steppy steep uphill or anythign
    I’ll probably try swapping for new drivetrain (it is due) and see what it does then

While annoying i cant say its making me think I should have got anythign else because I don’t know what I’d get
    The 60point pickup speed is noticable (over a 32 SLX)
    Chris King is too much £££ for me and on here on the whole doesn’t read all that well

ste2050
    Free Member

nicemates, how are the Arch EX rims + tesla working out? just ordered the same wheelset. Hoping they can take a reasonable amount of trail abuse.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m considering a set of these two. It’s a choice between a set of Pro II’s on EN521’s or the Tesla’s on Pacenti rims.

The Superstar wheels are cheaper and have a much quicker engagement but the Hopes appeal because the spares will be around for ages and are easy to service. The snob in me thinks go with the Hopes just because, but the geek in me likes the idea of a hub with a quick pick up. Hmmmm.

c_klein87

the pick up is nice, but I wish i’d stuck with the well built and easy to service Hopes, mine has had an intermittent issue with a pawl not releasing and generally the quality isn’t as good, I need to speak to superstar about sorting mine once my race wheels show up

mindmap3
    Free Member

Thanks mate. I think I’ll go for the Hopes, it’s just reassuring that I can pull them apart myself, get spares easily as well as having a shop / Hope warranty to fall back on.

nicemates
    Free Member

Tesla + Archs working out great so far. Love the quick pickup and it’s a really light build, tubeless of course.

Given them a pretty good ride and they’re holding up. I’m confident that superstar will help me out if I have any issues, they’ev always been good in the past, and theres too many broken hope hubs in the bin at home for me not to try something new.

Some pics of the steed here if your interested (no wheel close ups though sorry)
    Orange Gyro

davosaurusrex

Well after sending SS a pretty snotty email I got the following reply from Neil (isn’t he the head honcho?);

“Hello sorry for the slow reply, we are flat out at the moment with a warehouse move.
    We haven’t really had any issues with tesla, so I don’t have anything to help me towards the cause of the issue. It was quite hard to reproduce the problem but I have got to the bottom of it as a faulty thread in the freehub.
    It has now been replaced and will be shipped out to you tomorrow.
    Regards, Neil”

If that is true then it’s good as it points to a manufacturing fault rather than a generic design flaw. Hopefully it will be back with me today so I’ll report back here in due course.

james
    Free Member

re: my earlier post. New drivetrain fitted, no drive slip issues under pedalling. What I do have is a partially snapped mech …

alrob
    Free Member

Biggest mistake I’ve ever made tesla hubs been two long walks home on both times freehub problems will not be sendining back again as post cost at £17 a time so going to cut my losses and and put a £30 shimano hub and freewheel on…… shame to say that’s how I feel brought end of jan 2013
    40 wet muddy miles 20 mile push home then had them sorted by superstar comp free of charge on return done lap of degla black to build confidence back up then a big 50mile ride ok. Then on a sunday ride a complete loss of all drive but only 2mile push for Mrs to pick me up.
    Would not rely on these for a canal bike ride now. Might look good and sound like angry bees that is where it ends out of 10 would not even mark them

davosaurusrex

Not what I wanted to hear. Had been planning to update this thread to say I’ve got about a dozen rides on mine since repair with no problems. Picked up a sram rise rear cheap while I was waiting, think I’ll hang on to it!

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I’d always go Hope on hubs now. They are British and they have been decent for me for thousands of miles usually heavy cos of backpack. Don’t get me started again on the BB’s though…

So this Tesla is really a DMR? Was always a suprise to me that DMR stuff sought of vanished from CRC.

billytinkle
    Free Member

350 mostly wet miles on mine so far with no problems yet.

naffa
    Free Member

Just to resurrect this thread with my experience of Tesla hubs (I think the rears had it).
    Second ride out today on my Sentinel rims and Tesla hubs, 29ers. First ride was a lap of the dog and monkey @ Cannock Chase and went there again today. Less than half way round today I started to experience problems. While coasting/freewheeling my chain was going funny and the clicking of the rear hub was disappearing at the same time. It was quite unnerving.
    It was happening intermittently but becoming more frequent. At one point I got off the bike and tried to spin the rear wheel while holding the cranks but the only way it span was by letting go of the pedals.
    I think the freehub has gone but am not sure because I’ve never had one fail before. Can anyone tell me if I’m thinking right.
    I have emailed SS but got no reply yet, the wheel is stripped and boxed ready for when they say I can send it back.

davosaurusrex

Mine failed again couple of weeks ago. First time (when less than 10 miles old) it lost all engagement, after repair and 200 miles of riding the freehub seized so stopping pedalling resulted in the rear mech almost getting ripped off. Pretended it was a fixie to get home but I’m finished with them. Two failures in 200 miles with near opposite results?
    I went mad and got some e13 TRS+ so the Superstars are about to go back, I’ve emailed them and told them I want a refund as they aren’t fit for purpose, got a “we’ll need to see them first” reply but I’ll go through the small claims court if required. I wouldn’t recommend them.

scotroutes

I posted a thread earlier this week asking for feedback on these. This has been very useful. Thanks folks. Looks like it’ll be another set of Pro 2’s

Spin
    Free Member

Are the front ones OK?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘New Superstar Tesla hub – anyone any insight/bought one?’ is closed to new replies.