Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • New roadies – miserable, joyless ***** or have I missed something?
  • iamtheresurrection

finbar – Member
    nowhere near as fit or hardy as I should be
    Sounds like you’re too fat – maybe no-one realises you’re actually a cyclist?

😀 That’s pretty bang on, to be fair. Do I know you?

finbar
    Free Member

I think I rode past you today without waving 😉 . I was the joyless chap all in black who looked like he was on his way to a funeral…

Trimix
    Free Member

Its to be expected really. Riding on the road in the UK is a joyless experience, so Im not surprised they are all miserable buggers.

mlke
    Free Member

I’ve rotten eye sight and since I trashed my cycling specs usually have blurred vision with watery eyes so “Hello” to those on road bikes I may have snubbed without realising they were there.

iamtheresurrection

That really doesn’t narrow it down, finbar…

LMT
    Free Member

Varying amounts of hellos or had waves from the bars what I’ve found out today is if you have a mechanical no one stops to ask if you want help, or if your ok, and I mean no one.

I had a double puncture hit a pot hole at speed, just didn’t see it until too late, not good!

On the mtb, Wales or Scotland or even just a blast round Cannock you stop have the bike upside down 90% of passing bikers will stop say hi do you need anything, on the road no one.

I remember a day out at Afan, some how my brother blew a tyre, shredded it pieces in one bit, I used cable ties to hold it together, a passing biker had masking tape (no idea why) helped patch it up to get him back to the centre. Mtb’ers always much more helpful and friendly!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i make a point of either gesturing or saying hello to anyone on a bike – i’d say 70% of the time it is reciprocated.

todays 100k was pleasant in that respect. the few who didn’t i just mutter ‘ow **** off ignorant ****’ under my breath 😀

richmars

Our Thursday night pub ride latched on to the rear of a group of roadies. Very miserable they were to, but maybe it was just that we had had a few drinks and were able to keep up with them, while making fun of their kit.

funkmasterp

I’ll say hello or wave to every cyclist and 99% of walkers that I pass. Riding the bike always puts me in a cheerful mood. Don’t care if they respond or not though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

richmars – Member
    Our Thursday night pub ride latched on to the rear of a group of roadies. Very miserable they were to, but maybe it was just that we had had a few drinks and were able to keep up with them, while making fun of their kit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What davidtaylforth said x 1000.

vdubber67
    Free Member

This repeated thread is one of the reasons I hate this forum so much.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What vdubber67 said x 1000

akira

Sometimes my lack of fitness and hills combine to mean I’m just knackered and can’t spare the energy to wave. You might get a wink though as that takes less energy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What davidtaylforth said x 1000.

😀 that’s a first!

iamtheresurrection

People posting on threads that they have nothing to contribute to other than saying it’s a pointless thread is why I hate this forum… Knacker. 😀

I know the craic. I searched for post titles from the last 12 months using three different search term roadies, miserable roadies and road cyclists: didn’t see a single thread. You want to enlighten me what I did wrong in the search?

wilburt
    Free Member

Maybe you should write a book on the correct etiquette.
    Please include a section on when a person rides mtb in the morning and road in the afternoon. Perhaps also one for when I’m a pedestrian or driving car.

Its not just the thread duplication that is irritating its the idiotic subject matter which just suggests narrow minded ingnorance.

iamtheresurrection

I start a thread asking whether NEW ROADIES are a bit miserable, and now you think I care about all cycling etiquette.

My second post said: Quite happy to not do it to be fair, but such a notable contrast in a couple of years.

Quite the leap you made there, bringing in etiquette, mountain biking, pedestrians and cars. Top effort.

wilburt
    Free Member

Well grow up then princess, whining on the internet because someone didnt wave at you ffs.

MoreCashThanDash

Spent today riding the Fat Lad at the Back sportive with 700 of the happiest and chattiest roadies I’ve ever had the pleasure of riding with.

Possibly due to the copious amounts of pie at the feed stop.

ferrals
    Free Member

I say hello to everyone, be they roadie, mtber, walker, horse-rider, horse, cow, or sheep.

If you really want to confuse people though just call out merry Christmas when passing (never do this in December)

RustySpanner

If you want to see genuine confusion, nod and wave at motorcyclists whilst out on your pushbike.

A fun game for all the family.
    🙂

boxelder

OP – had you forgotten to put your shorts on?

tenfoot

Get a gravel bike.

The mtbers won’t wave because you’re on a road bike.
    The roadies won’t wave because you’re on a hybrid .
    😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

sockpuppet

Someone’s sportive was riding most of my loop today backwards (it’s my loop: therefore it cannot have been me going the wrong way round…)

dazh

Seeing as this ridiculous thread appears so often, shouldn’t we use it to develop a special STW wave so we can recognise each other? Any suggestions?

RobHilton
    Free Member

RustySpanner

Already catching on

See?

prawny

😆 I’m doing that on my commute today, I’ll post the results later.

boxelder

globalti
    Free Member

About 25% of roadies acknowledge me. The rest ignore me. I don’t lose sleep over it.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you want to see genuine confusion, nod and wave at motorcyclists whilst out on your pushbike.

On the BH weekend we were up in the north of Scotland and all the motorcyclists were nodding or waving at us. Might have been something to do with us all trying to stay on the road in the gales 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

I get about a 75% hit rate. Must be my dashing good looks and approachable demeanour.

TiRed

Waved or said high to every cyclist I passed yesterday. This in skinsuit, pointy hat and on the aerobars. True I wasn’t exactly gunning it, but it’s always nice to say hello to anyone on a bike. Regardless of how stupid they are dressed.

The guy in the back of the white Rolls convertible said high to me as he passed too. At least the bike colour matched the car 8)

onandon
    Free Member

So
    drivers and cyclists think each other are cocks.
    Road cyclists and mountain bikers think each other are cocks.
    Road cyclists think other road cyclists are cocks.
    Cyclists think other cyclist are cocks.
    Walkers and cyclist think each other are cocks.
    Dog walkers and cyclist think each other are cocks
    Horse riders and cyclists think each other are cocks.
    The army on their training sites and cyclist think each other are cocks.

FFS

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

IF the other rider is in Rapha, and IF they are on either steel or titanium, then I will offer them a glimpse of my moody-stare-into-the middle-distance. Otherwise they’re not even worth a brief glance of withering contempt.

Of course, in reality our club run overlapped loads of rides and the odd sportif in the Chilterns yesterday; I acknowledged everybody including MTBers on the roadside trails, and shouted encouragement to those we saw struggling on some of the punchier road climbs.

TiRed, have you calculated how many watts a wave costs? 😀

I also appreciate that sometimes someone might be “on it” and in the zone training wise, or out riding to get some headspace and be completely lost in thought, so don’t take anything from being blanked (and I’m sure I’ve been in both those positions at some point and unwittingly ignored someone else).

martinhutch

Gatecrashed a few miles of the Fred Whitton near Wrynose yesterday. You would have thought that a bunch of knackered roadies would not have any time for some poxy MTBer, but had a chat with a couple as we rolled along.

atlaz
    Free Member

I went on a ride organised by former pro and not-the-fat-brother Frank Schleck yesterday. Lots of smiling faces, lots of chit chat (mostly in languages I don’t speak) and lots of waved and shouted greetings to other riders that were returned. Even though it was miserable weather, the hills were steep and the pace was a bit “spirited” for a supposed no-drop ride, I don’t think any cyclist I saw looked miserable either in our group or anyone else we saw.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘New roadies – miserable, joyless ***** or have I missed something?’ is closed to new replies.