Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New rims….
  • MartynS

Of the 26in variety….

My trusty mavic 719 rims are a little worn out.. The hubs,hope pro 2 evo are fine.
    I’ve converted the 719 to tubeless with a stans strip. It looks like I Can still get 719 rims
    What else is worth a look, or indeed avalible still?

Over to you!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Try the DT Swiss EX417. East up tubeless, 25mm internal, not too heavy and stronger than they have any right to be.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Ryde Trace series are very good. DT Swiss have some excellent offerings. The XC tyres you use work very well on wider rims. give them a go you wont be disappointed

bm0p700f
    Free Member

just a moment are you using rim brakes if so there is little choice. Mavic 717’s are the best about.

MartynS

No, disc brakes so there is at least a semi decent choice!!!

Oh, and spesh purgatory 2.35 tyres. I don’t think I’d want to go narrower than the 719..

nickc

pretty much anything you’d want is still available tbh, from Stans to Mavic, to Pancenti and Hope.

what sort of rim are you looking for?

MartynS

Well, I’ve had mavics for ages.. 717 and 719. They have been brilliant for me. I’d happily have 719s again but just wondered if there was anything better for the money/ let’s face it 719s are quite old rims now.

These are going n my pivot Mach 5.7. I ride in the peak, so mainly rocky stuff. I’d like a tough wide, but not to heavy rim that’s either tubeless ready or really easy to convert. (Moon on a stick…?)
    I say again, the 719s have been ideal. I suppose the question is “what’s better???”

wrecker
    Free Member

Remember Arron Gwinns tyreless WC DH run?

15g heavier than 719, 6mm wider (I think!).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stans flow ex for that sort of riding, much better profile on the tyre than the 719s they replaced.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

You could also look at the WTB Frequency i23 models. The KOM version is lighter but not as strong (i’m guessing) than the regular i23.

swanny853

WTB frequencies are tough as old boots- mine (29er, i23s) have taken highland water bars, alpine rocks and the rockier bits of bike park wales and antur among others in their stride with no problems. A friend managed to roll the tyre off on one of the particularly slaty bits of antur and stopped on the rim, so they’ll survive that too.

To be honest if I was planning on being anything less than wantonly abusive I’d probably take the KOMs- peak district riding they’d probably be my choice as you can ‘size up’ on width for the same weight.

Or you could do what I’m planning on doing for my OH, also on a mach 5.7- she trashed a rear wheel so I rebuilt with a frequency i23 rim, if I do the front I’ll use a KOM for the extra width and slightly less weight.

Northwind

Yeah, I’d be arbitratily choosing between one of the new DTs, a WTB Frequency or maybe a Stans. The Frequency i25 I had was ridiculously tough- not just strong, most wheels are strong, but tough. I absolutely battered it at la thuile after getting a flat at a bad time and it was barely even marked, a 721 would have been dinged up and a flow might have been dead. Ace.

prezet
    Free Member

Just had a set of EX471’s built up on Hope Hubs – very impressed with them. Much nicer finish than the Stans they replaced.

wilko1999
    Free Member

EX471 vote again here. I’ve got them on 350 hubs and they’re great – stiff, light enough and pretty much bombproof (see above post about Aaron Gwin). Good tyre profile and so easy to set up tubeless (well, with 2.3 Minions and Shortys that is)

MartynS

I ended up going with Mavic EN423… they look good, a decent bit wider than the 719 they replaced. so looking forward to riding them!

thanks all

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 EX471

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New rims….’ is closed to new replies.