Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • *new powdecoat*…..not happy with finish…am I fussy!?!
  • moniex
    Free Member

Just got my frames back from the powdercoaters.

Had a g spot frame and a hustler frame done. The g spot frame looks ok, apart from them forgetting to mask of 2 of the bearing surfaces (I did point all out to them and send pics *sigh*)…

The hustler frame however does look very orange peely, if you know what I mean. I do know that powdercoat can end up a little lika that, but this seems bad. the g spot frame is better and I’ve had a frame done in the past (somewhere else) that was better. They also filled one of the threads for the shock bolt with paint….

Pics below of the worst bits, am I being fussy? I love this frame and I am very dissapointed. I paid £75 per frame….

So, is it just me?!?

I don’t need this frame up and running in a hurry, so I could have it re-done… It does upset me thought!

Your thoughts guys..

Thanks
    Simone

bruneep

Hmm bit like mrs b’s thighs that*

*only joking dear 😉

kaiser
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the colour 😉 makes me feel queasy just looking at it.
    seriously though doesn’t look great and at that price well …I’d be telling them to do a proper job .

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thats a poor finish if ever I saw one.

I’d be having a chat with them about doing it again TBH.

slackman99
    Free Member

That’s a shocking finish. Go and get your money back (plus some extra to have it chemically stripped) and go elsewhere.

cp

for 75 quid per frame, it should be perfect. take it back.

We get a lot of stuff powdercoated at work – if anything came in like that, it would go straight back to the finishers.

Matt_SS_xc

very poor finish, i would demand it done again.

If your anywhere near i had my frame done by worcester powder coating for £60 and they did an excellent job!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Take it back it ,is gash. I cant believe they gave it to you like that tbh.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

]euch! that’s been painted with Hammerite fella get them to redo it

Saccades
    Free Member

I’d say that was spray dried – powdercoater is either inexperienced or was in a hurry and held the gun too far away (or flow too fast).

But I’m used to coating tablets and not 100% on how powdercoating is applied to be sure that’s the answer here.

Northwind

That’s awful. If it were more consistent it could at least look like someone’s crack at an interesting finish but it just looks diseased. And not that cheap either. And bad masking too. Not sure I’d trust them to redo it tbh, full refund and go somewhere that isn’t s**t.

Stuey01
    Free Member

That looks shit, send it back

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Stuey01 – Member

Nail. On. Head.

Oh, and name and shame so we know where not to go… 😐

anto164
    Free Member

As for them masking the bearing surfaces, you’ve got to take some responsibility for that. I’d never drop off a frame to get painted without myself masking what i don’t want them to paint.

moniex
    Free Member

The bits pictured are the worst, all else is better but still very orange peely….. I am just not good at taking stuff back. I am also worried asking them to do it again, as I guess it won’t be much better. Masking was bad too 🙁

I am very sad at seeing my baby like that….

Colour is great though!

moniex
    Free Member

I am not sure how I could mask the frame if it still needs blasting?!?!? but yes I would be more than happy to mask it myself….

What would I use for masking, just normal masking tape? Or not, as it will go in an oven….

Not sure really. Would prefer to do the masking myself!

highclimber
    Free Member

I am just not good at taking stuff back. I am also worried asking them to do it again

MTFU and take it back. you have the law (and, more importantly, STW) on your side

moniex
    Free Member

I am just a real wuss, and I don’t trust them with my bike anymore… May have to ask husband to come with me…

I will build the g spot frame up, they did a ok job on that, apart from the masking. Any advice on removing powdercoat from bearing surfaces? Just use a craft knife and sand paper?

Cheers for advice so far, does not make me feel better though.

kaesae
    Free Member

That is awful 😯 , you really need to be aware of how much material has been removed, if you have it reblasted you might go right through it.

I did quite a few resprays and had a great resprayer, we worked together on the plugging/masking and also on ther different shot used and best temperatures for baking the frames.

A lot of frames crack after they are powder coated, which is what I discovered through researching online, that is simply taking the piss.

Good luck sorting this shit out and I hope you’re not too down!

Northwind

anto164 – Member

As for them masking the bearing surfaces, you’ve got to take some responsibility for that.

No you don’t. You’re paying someone to do the job, you shouldn’t have to do half of it yourself.

What you should do though is set out exactly what you want, make sure the coater understands the standard of work that’s expected and the masking that’s required. Still no guarantee of good work- Hendersons knew exactly how to do mine, they just screwed it up through laziness. But it puts the onus on them.

toys19
    Free Member

A lot of frames crack after they are powder coated, which is what I discovered through researching online, that is simply taking the piss.

Tell the truth Kaesae, I raised it a year or so ago and you (and many others) denied it for ages?

highclimber
    Free Member

I am just a real wuss, and I don’t trust them with my bike anymore… May have to ask husband to come with me…

make sure you familiarise youself with a little bit of consumer law but don’t start quoting it to them unless they get arsey with you about asking them to put right what they messed up which I doubt they will as the owner certainly wants repeat custom even if the powder coater can’t be assed to do his job properly.

tonyd

Stuey01 – Member

+1 Make them redo it or cover the cost of someone else doing it properly.

rainbow
    Free Member

That’s very bad finish, dont be a push over and a wuss, just go back and tell them it’s poor finish and you expect better, simple ask to do it again or ask for the money back.

In short words, It’s shit.

oldgit
    Free Member

Well unless you specced Artex?

uwe-r
    Free Member

What state was the frame in.

Just asking as that is what id imagine powder coated rust to look like!

yossarian
    Free Member

That’s a very very poor job.

Go in and be really cool about it. Tell them you aren’t happy with the finish and can they sort it out please.

Most people are inherently sound, you shouldn’t have a problem.

moniex
    Free Member

Cheers for all that guys. I am just not happy sending it back to them, as I now don’t trust them.

I told them in great detail what I was after, mentioned the price of the frame and that I was after a great job (brought the frames in). I also made it very clear that the masking would be hard and I needed a good job done, and offered advice/help. I also took pictures of all the bits after it was stripped of bearing etc, and told them this, in case they needed them for reference. They charged me an extra tenner (75 instead of 65) for the extra masking involved…

They told me they had done bike frames before, incuding downhill frames…

Also, someone asked about the state of the frame beforehand. Its a 2006 hustler, some scrapes etc and fading on the original paint, nothing really bad. Only ever been ridden by girls! Just thought I’d treat it to a new coat while new bearing were fitted…

Really LOVE this bike, so still very upset! Even shouted at the kids (i know, should not take it out on them!)…. bad day.

So….

Where do I stand legally, as I do not want to risk them redoing it (especially as someone mentioned cracks!)?

Neil-F
    Free Member

Theres a good chance the guy that actually owns the company hasn’t seen that. He’ll probably not be best pleased that his guys are churning out crap like this…… if he’s not bothered about it then he’s a mug.
    Go see the boss specifically, not one of his organ grinders.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I would not accept that. Politely insist it is rectified.

rj
    Free Member

I’ve seen finishes like that before, they’re usually down to not cleaning the parts properly prior to painting. It needs to be degreased and then ideally pre-treated with iron phosphate or E-Clps. There’s a risk that it will start to peel off, at which point you’ll need to get it re-done anyway so you might as well chance it and tell them you’re not happy and want it done properly.

donks
    Free Member

We used a company called Windridge coatings a few years back to powder coat some industrial gates and the were very good, then I saw them on a stand at the cycle show with samples of bicycles they powder coat. You might try them possibly if you want to re-coat the frames again? Unless it was them!! Who was it BTW?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So….

Where do I stand legally, as I do not want to risk them redoing it (especially as someone mentioned cracks!)?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Yourconsumerrightswhenbuyinggoodsandservices/DG_194653

yossarian
    Free Member

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure you have to give them the opportunity to fix their mistake before you can do anything else legally.

Bregante

I believe 18 bikes also use and recommend Windridge, or used to…

ilovemygears
    Free Member

shame so cock **** it up, get ur money back mate

takisawa2

They’ve put way too much powder on that, & with a colour like that they really should have noticed it before baking. Absolute rubbish job. They should foot the bill for stripping & repainting.
    As regards blasting, we’re talking a very fine going over here, to simply give the paint a key. Alloy tubing tends to be thicker than steel so the chances of it getting too thin are slim. unless they have some numpty with a lot of pressure & a very heavy grit. If it were heavily butted top-end steel tubing it might be an issue.

The most effective way to mask up is large washers & bolts. But whatever you do make sure there are no threads protruding through the nuts as it will be hell to get apart. If you find the bolts poke through the nuts just use more washers so they sit sub flush.

The temp thing can be an issue, but unless your talking >250c its very unlikely to affect the frame. AFAIK alloy generally will start to re-aneal at about 300c, but some posh alloys can be a problem. I think Santa-Cruz were one. I’ve had plenty done & never known any issues.

takisawa2

I had this done last week…

IMAG0651 by pten2106, on Flickr

Its a crap pic though that doesnt do it justice. He put it on very thick but its come out perfect.
    If your in Staffs I can send his details over.
    I stripped it myself, & so he charged me £20.

toys19
    Free Member

The temp thing can be an issue, but unless your talking >250c its very unlikely to affect the frame. AFAIK alloy generally will start to re-aneal at about 300c, but some posh alloys can be a problem. I think Santa-Cruz were one. I’ve had plenty done & never known any issues.

Unfortunately this is incorrect. 130 degrees may be enough ruin your frame. It isn’t to do with annealing. It is to do with over ageing.

Wozza
    Free Member

The bottom line is you’re not happy (and quite rightly so). Take it back in, nobody could defend a job as cowboy as that, if you feel more comfortable with a backup, then definitely get someone to go with you.

+1 asking for the gaffer. Straight to the top.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘*new powdecoat*…..not happy with finish…am I fussy!?!’ is closed to new replies.