Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New phone and contract or sim-only and find a new phone – but which one?
  • DickBarton

I’m needing some phone techie input…I’m looking for a new phone. Current one is a Sony Xperia Z2 and has been excellent (still is), however I’ve had it for 2 years and my contract is up in the next month or so and I’m looking for a new phone.

I’m wanting everything the Z2 has or better but in a slightly smaller size. The Z2 has been brilliant and the only thing I can complain about is the size of it…even after 2 years it is still too big.

Closest thing I can find is the Z5 Compact but it has a smaller battery and less resolution screen…so I’m unsure if I could still get over 2 days use between charges.

I can’t get much from the major phone companies as they are trying to push their phones that they stock.

So I’m thinking a sim-only deal (Vodafone is offering unlimited voice/text and 20gb data for £20 a month). I’m with Vodafone just now so should be easy enough to change my deal and the other players don’t seem to be offering anything similar.

However, that would mean keeping the current phone (apart from overall size, it appears to be fine).

So, what phone would be suitable to replace the Z2 and either match or better it’s specification and be slightly smaller?

Cheers.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

If the Z2 is doing ok, just go for the Voda £20 p/m deal. It seems a cracking offer with the year free of Spotify/Netflix etc thrown in as well. Just remember it runs out on the 3rd March.

scotroutes

The Xperia compacts are about the only ones that don’t through away features in order to get into a smaller case. Like you, I don’t like the bigger phones so my Z1 Compact will likely be replaced by a Z5 Compact when the contract ends this summer.

TheFlyingOx

Yup, sim-only. I’ve done similar but with BT. £9/month with 2GB data and I just got a cheapo Chinese phone with similar specs to your Z2 for ~£60 delivered.

DickBarton

Phone is ok but as contract is up I’m finding the pull of a new toy more appealing. I don’t use that much data – about 1.8gb a month, I don’t watch much TV and I’ve a small mp3 player for tunes…

Sim-only would be ideal if I wasn’t thinking new phone but what is out there that would replace the current phone?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The voda deal is pretty good as you get free spotify netflix or sky sports

Whats your data/mins/txt usage like now?

DickBarton

Ox…I need details dagnabbit!

Cougar

Current one is a Sony Xperia Z2 and has been excellent (still is), however I’ve had it for 2 years and my contract is up in the next month or so and I’m looking for a new phone.

Why? If your current phone is excellent, keep it and pay tuppence a month to maintain it. “My contract is up so it’s time for a new free phone” is one of the biggest Marketing stunts we’ve all been suckered by in years.

DickBarton

Ah no…the new phone is never free, I’m not that stupid…what I’m looking for is a same-or-better specced device that could replace my 2 year old device, which although excellent is still too big, even after 2 years use. The new contract is just time for me to try to find something else…if not, I’m likely to go sim-only and keep the Z2.

myti
    Free Member

My contract is up and I was looking at going gift gaff for £10 a month no strings and buying the Z5 compact for about £350 but spoke to Vodafone who I’m with and they sucked me back in with a good offer of that phone free and £25 a month for a decent package so over 2 years the giff gaff would have saved me nothing. Had the phone 2 days and loving it. The screen seems great to me and its got a good camera and most importantly to me it’s not huge.

aracer
    Free Member

So what’s wrong with the Z1c that you need to replace it, rather than go for a SIM only contract? Admittedly I’ve just replaced an old slow phone, but I just got one and I’m struggling to see why I’d want anything better.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

My contract is up and I was looking at going gift gaff for £10 a month no strings and buying the Z5 compact for about £350 but spoke to Vodafone who I’m with and they sucked me back in with a good offer of that phone free and £25 a month for a decent package so over 2 years the giff gaff would have saved me nothing. Had the phone 2 days and loving it. The screen seems great to me and its got a good camera and most importantly to me it’s not huge.

Just as a FYI for anyone else looking at spending £10 a month sim only. Life Mobile, who are owned by EE, are offering 3000 mins, unlimited texts and 3GB of data for £10 p/m rolling montly. Importantly they have a smart cap which you can set to any amount to reduce nasty bills.

This might sound like an advert, but I just switched to them from GiffGaff.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

BT deals are decent at the moment. £15 will get you 2gb data and they are doing 20gb for £21. £40 iTunes or Amazon gift card and £35 quidco cash back too.
    If you’re already a BT customer you’ll get a fiver per month off.

I just switch from Giff Gaff. Great customer service and cheap prices but 4g reception in remote areas (biking pretty much anywhere!) was v poor.

slimjim78
    Free Member

GifGaff has been brilliant since I went sim only, costs me £12pcm for 3gb and more minutes and texts than I’ll ever use.

Buying a handset sim-free always works out cheaper than going contract. It’s a no brainier if value for money is your key driver.

TheFlyingOx

Ox…I need details dagnabbit!

Sorry Bartoni. Been at work with no power and no internet for the last couple of days…
    BT deal here: you need to have BT broadband to get £5/month discount

Phone here: Doogee X5 Pro

DickBarton

Braw ta…bit late now though…I got a deal from Vodafone which meant new phone and contract was cheaper than going simply only and buying a new phone down the line…
    Will go nosey at the phone though as worth remembering, ta.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New phone and contract or sim-only and find a new phone – but which one?’ is closed to new replies.