Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New Pedals
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

Found a crack in my vault pedal the other night

Probably use them for a bit longer but will ultimately need something new to replace them. Been looking at spank spike pedals and the new burgtec ones too, any others worth looking at?

transition1
    Free Member

Azonic Kamakazie pedals nice, 10mm thick or their Wicked Pedals

jekkyl

What’s your budget?

bungalistic
    Free Member

About £100, but ideally a bit less if something is reduced. Think the spank spikes are about £75 online at the mo

transition1
    Free Member
    bungalistic
    Free Member

Like the look of those azonic pedals

warpcow
    Free Member

I was choosing between Vaults, Burgtecs and Hopes last year and ended up with the Hopes. The stance of the Burgtecs was too narrow for my liking (wide platform but it sits almost flush to the crank arm). In the end it was just the best offer from my LBS that tipped it towards the Hopes. Very happy with them: big, solid, reliable, and feel slightly grippier than the Nanos they replaced. If I was buying again I’d add the new Gamut Podiums (previously Point1, but updated) to the list of candidates.

legend
    Free Member

Gonna sound reeeaaally boring here – I was looking at Hopes and DMR Vaults recently – ended up buying Superstars again as I still can’t see the performance gains of the (much) more pricey pedals.

richmtb

If you fancy the less bling Superstar route then make sure you buy them from Carbon Cycles, they are the exact same pedals as the Superstar Nano / Nukeproof Electrons but a few quid cheaper

chrisdw
    Free Member

Superstars again

Cant really see past them even when looking at more expensive pedals. You can even buy these… CLICK if you don’t want them to say Superstar on them.

Edit: As above!

warpcow
    Free Member

Tbh, the Nanos are all the pedal I’d ever need really, but my Hope F20s are a lot nicer 😀

legend
    Free Member

No doubt, same with the Vaults. If it’s wasn’t a part that is definitely going to get the shit kicked out of it all the time I’d probably spring for the ‘nicer’ stuff too

gazman428
    Free Member

Chain reaction have nukeproof ones in their sale today

bungalistic
    Free Member

Nanos look ok, very similar to a set of nukeproof pedals i have on another bike. Anyone used the delta pedals?

akira

Quite like the new V12s, don’t need pedals currently but I like the pretty colours they come in.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Gamut Podiums. Race Face or the Spank Spike/Oozys.

I had the latter and loved them. The Podiums look lovely though and they are as thin as you can go without going to something silly like a pair of Tioga Zeros.

transition1
    Free Member

If you want budget the Azonic Blaze are Exactly same as Nukeproof but RRP £25.99 instead of £34.99

honourablegeorge

Interesting – the first batch of Vaults had a tendency to split at that position – later models were subtly beefed up to address it.

I’d drop a mail to DMR and ask them about it- they’re good folks when it comes to customer service.

Northwind

The raised axle stub looks pretty intrusive on those azonics? It’s a nice example on those Vaults of why thru-pins aren’t all good news, grubs screws make for a stronger pedal.

bungalistic – Member

Nanos look ok, very similar to a set of nukeproof pedals i have on another bike

Probably exactly the same- they’re an often-rebranded HT model. And yeah, very good, not incredibly thin or light but competitive with most things, at a much lower price.

leegee

If you want thin pedals I can recommend Canfield crampon ultimates. User servicable too.

honourablegeorge

The original Point One Podiums had one decent bearing at the crank, and three preposterously tiny ones at the other end of the axle, so small that they literally turn to dust when they wear out – the new ones apparently have the same design, so I’d be wary of them.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

10mm thick at the widest point, so even thinner than the Spanks! 😯

Want.

Badly.

so small that they literally turn to dust when they wear out – the new ones apparently have the same design, so I’d be wary of them.

That’s a shame if true, I’d go with the Oozy’s then!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

What pedals are those ? ^^^

hatter

These are based on the V2.0 podiums though, the original podium V1.0’s had an exposed axle so it’s easy to see why the outer bearings were a tad vulnerable.

The new ones completely seal the outer bearing away from any filth so should, in theory, be much better.

Replacement bearing kits for both pedals are only £24.99 according to Madison’s site so at least they’ll be reasonably cheap to sort if they do go.

andylc
    Free Member

How dose everyone manage to use those sticky uppy bits on flat pedals without ripping bits out of their legs whenever anything goes vaguely pear-shaped? Maybe I didn’t give them a fair go before returning to SPDs…

Stevet1
    Free Member

Have used vaults / spikes / canfield ultimates and currently loving the new DMR V12’s which just seem to have the right shape (for my feet).
    Vaults felt too big, spikes felt gash, Ultimate were good but lacking a little bit of grip.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

OP, Hopes are nice and pretty burly built around the edges where the Vaults went. The optional long pins makes them as grippy as you’ll ever need.

how dose everyone manage to use those sticky uppy bits on flat pedals without ripping bits out of their legs whenever anything goes vaguely pear-shaped?

Best plan is to make sure you don’t slip your pedals 😉
    Grippy shoes, big pins and decent technique will do the trick.

Maybe I didn’t give them a fair go before returning to SPDs…

This.

warpcow
    Free Member

^That. I’ve gouged a chunk of bone out of one leg with a Shimano m520.

honourablegeorge

hatter – Member
    These are based on the V2.0 podiums though, the original podium V1.0’s had an exposed axle so it’s easy to see why the outer bearings were a tad vulnerable.

The new ones completely seal the outer bearing away from any filth so should, in theory, be much better.

Replacement bearing kits for both pedals are only £24.99 according to Madison’s site so at least they’ll be reasonably cheap to sort if they do go.

It’s not really the sealing – it’s the physical size of the bearings – they were the tiniest cartridge bearings I have ever seen, only about 6mm in diameter. SO when you go to replace then, the balls are dust, leaving just the races behind, near impossible to remove.

If true that the replacement bearings are the same for the new version as the old, I’d steer clear.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

spikes felt gash

I had to take the center pins out of my Spikes as they were so grippy. Best pedals I’ve ever used.

V12s and even the new ones feel god awful to me these days.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New Pedals’ is closed to new replies.