Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New, not to exciting bike, for the time starved!!
  • theboatman
    Free Member

My only mtb since 2009 has been a 26′ Cotic Soul, and it’s cracked. And whilst I am considering a repair, I could use this opportunity to spend about 7-800 on a new bike. I don’t really have much of a clue about plus size things in terms of what all the changing standards are, and I don’t have the time for sorting demo day’s out to find out what size tire or wheel will set my trails alight. But I live in the Peak and have the odd run to a trail centre, and I have always loved the Soul and it always makes me smile. I tend to go for distance rather than jumps etc.
    Seems at my price point I tend to be looking at 27’5 alu hardtails. Are there any gems? Or am I missing a trick with limited choice?

Oh, and Happy New Year all, I hope it’s a good ‘un 😀

tmb467
    Free Member

For that kind of money I’d be looking at s/h bikes – just had a scan of PB and there’s a few around

There’s a Bird Zero for 700 and a couple of 26″ Stanton slacklines at the same price. If you’re gonna keep the bike for a bit then they’ll still be fit for a few years – albeit forks may become harder to source.

If you do want new then the voodoo bizango has been rated but it’s 29er. Also have a look at the whytes or at clearances from Evans et al. And if you can stretch to a grand (maybe cycle to work scheme) then a new Bird Zero might be an option

YoKaiser
    Free Member

2nd hand Soul frame and some new bits?

slackboy

I think a cheaper aluminium bike would feel like a real backward step from your soul.

What about a second hand soul frame? £250-300 would get you a mk3 26″ frame with a tapered steerer.

Or, if you fit a large, I think there are still some new yellow 275 ones on the website for £399.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

If you love your Soul, you should absolutely just get it repaired. Your local framebuilder will almost certainly be able to do a strong, unnoticeable repair no matter where the crack is, and a fresh powder coat will be around £65. With the new paint it will feel all new and you will be helping save the planet by reducing needless consumerism and throwing away what can be reused. You win at life.

theboatman
    Free Member

Yokaiser – or just repair the one I have? Which is probably the cheapest option, and it will give me a chance for a new paintjob…but just could take a while.

It was the fork thing that made me consider new bike. And going forwards the new bike will be another long-term bike hopefully. So wanted a bit of forward compatability, and new drive-in, but looking at s/h bikes, does seem more sensible for a bike with a bit more personality. But I’m wondering how much is in that concept really. Does anyone love their generic alu hardtails?

asbrooks

If you’re striping the bike to get the frame fixed, buy a cheap 456 frame from on one while you are waiting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New, not to exciting bike, for the time starved!!’ is closed to new replies.