Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New music from me…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Check it out…

http://soundcloud.com/markbonnes/fat-ghost/

Let us know what you reckon!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh good lad..

Kryton57

I quite like it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Pretty nice; a bit trebly for my liking but I made it to the end so didn’t find it nauseating in its repetitiveness like much repetitive music.

6/10

dribbling
    Free Member

Nice work. 7.36/10

seosamh77
    Free Member

Like it drums and bass are cracking, keyboard is s bit much for me though need to work on your melody a bit. 7/10

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I like it, a nice groove to it and clean production as always, definitely much more my cup of tea than your previous work.

Milkie
    Free Member

I don’t know if you wanted a review/ideas, but here goes!

I like the percussion you’ve used, it gives the track some momentum, but could do with more and with some variation. Love the mid-range tomtoms, not sure about the high pitch sound effect over the top as it sounds crisper than your hi-hats, I would rather hear some nice crisp hi-hats, giving the tune a bit more energy

The bass synth sounds nice, but I’m not blown away with the kick drum, could do with being a bit deeper/heavier. Also some variation of the kick over 8 beats might be better than 4.

At 1:30 another pad synth comes in off key/minor key. Not sure I like it with the other synth playing, clashes slightly. EDIT: listening while writing… Didn’t notice the off/key synth this time, maybe it does work!

I quite like the tune! But could do with more things happening. 6/10.
    Production and SQ I would go with 7/10.

Happy to review more indepth with high quality version.

Keep at it, you’re not bad. 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Pretty nice; a bit trebly for my liking but I made it to the end

Cheers, didn’t spend overly long mixing it if I’m honest (whole track was done in a mere 2 hours, start to finish truth be told) as the aim was to see just what kind of passable music I could churn out in a really short space of time. I should/will go back and mix the whole track properly perhaps, I know the treble is a bit sharp on one of the instruments so needs toning down a touch.

Like it drums and bass are cracking

I’ll admit, all drums were just presets this time (but I know drum production is usually my forte, so I’m not worried), but the bassline is my own. Messed about in ES2 on Logic, created my own sound, and I think it sounds rather good if I do say so myself!

keyboard is s bit much for me though need to work on your melody a bit

It’s all personal taste isn’t it. A lot of friends that have listened to it have said “a good bit more melodic than your previous stuff”, so just goes to show we’re all different (thankfully!) 🙂

I don’t know if you wanted a review/ideas, but here goes!

Always open to opinions, preferably constructive, but anything goes within reason, so thank you for taking the time…

I like the percussion you’ve used, it gives the track some momentum, but could do with more and with some variation. Love the mid-range tomtoms, not sure about the high pitch sound effect over the top as it sounds crisper than your hi-hats, I would rather hear some nice crisp hi-hats, giving the tune a bit more energy

Yeah, as I said earlier in this post, think I need to tame the top end down slightly on that instrument, and perhaps either give the hats more bite, or use a different hat altogether.

The bass synth sounds nice, but I’m not blown away with the kick drum, could do with being a bit deeper/heavier.

Cheers, cos the bass I made myself. The Kick drum is just a preset I used, no compression on it either. I’ll revisit it and put some proper drums in soon probably, kick drum compression is something I seem to be ok at already so not worried about it.

Also some variation of the kick over 8 beats might be better than 4.

You got an example I might listen to to try for reference?

At 1:30 another pad synth comes in off key/minor key. Not sure I like it with the other synth playing, clashes slightly. EDIT: listening while writing… Didn’t notice the off/key synth this time, maybe it does work!

It’s all in A Minor (so all white notes) so nothing is or should be off key. I know the bit you’re talking about though, I think it’s where the pads and the lead swap places in the track, and I think it’s just a minor frequency clash for a split second. Probably easily remedied by applying an automated low pass filter frequency on the one as it ends.

I quite like the tune! But could do with more things happening. 6/10.

Like I said, the idea was keep it simple, wanted to see just how much of a track I could do if I was really in a hurry (and not just cutting and pasting other people’s loops), so I’ll take 6/10 quite happily!

Production and SQ I would go with 7/10.

Ta, I guarantee after a few hours mixing it properly, it’ll be a 9… 😉

Happy to review more indepth with high quality version.

Keep at it, you’re not bad.

Ta Very muchly!

d45yth
    Free Member

Sorry if I sound a £$%^ saying this…if you know what is wrong with your tracks, why do you bother posting such rough mixes and not more polished ones for folk to comment on? It would take a few minutes to add some compression too.
    I don’t think the pad that starts in the intro and continues throughout the mix is the right one. The main line is a little too loud as well.

mboy
    Free Member

d45yth, it’s one of those things my good man… Fine line between being a perfectionist and never “finishing” anything, or being like David Guetta and releasing 5 new unoriginal songs every single day.

Like I said, also giving myself a bit of a test just to see what’s actually achievable in a short space of time. Which in the music industry, is a very normal occurrence. Gauging from most reactions I’ve had so far, I’ve done pretty well considering…

Your point is valid for certain, but ask most artists/producers and they’ll tell you their work is never finished, and there’s always one or two things at least they’d improve. But then if they don’t release it, they don’t get paid!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New music from me…’ is closed to new replies.