Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New-ish-bie bike advice
  • thatcastrochap
    Free Member

Howdy. Apologies in advance for the “what bike should I buy?!?!?!?!” style forum post. I’ve just got fed up with shopping around so much and could use a hand.

Been riding for a year XC and natural trail/single track on a kit Carrera Vulcan. Would be nice to treat myself to something that didn’t weigh a metric ton.

I’m still a relative beginner, but I ride 3 times a week (albeit Surrey Hills now that I’ve moved away from Scotland – damn) and can hold my own in a conversation about components and whatnot, but shopping around – both in store and online – has left me snow-blind now. So I need a bit of help. Or a bike. Or both.

Facts:
    I’m 6’3″ , weigh around 13 stone, like I said enjoy XC and natural trail/singletrack stuff, also riding trail centres. Just trying to get better. Budget’s around £800. Happy to buy for the frame and build up, as long as I’ve got something to ride in the meantime…Not fussed about 26/650b/29er. 29ers seem like a lot of fun, but are obviously heavier and in theory I could get more for less in a 26er.

Options:
    Herein lies the rub. There’s a shitload of options around, but I’ve gone blind from staring at them and trying them on in bike shops. Most of them, size wise, feel pretty good! So it’s another case of bang-for-buck deal finding.

Everywhere raves about the Voodoo Bizango which seems alright, but weighs as much as my Carrera (presumably because it’s a 29er)

Then I found this bad boy on gumtree http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/whyte-801-2013-large-mountain-bike/1074069146 which has a pretty average fork but that’s not a problem

Or this guy: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/kinesis-mountain-bike/1076136777 Which looks like it’s been battered around a bit, but I love the Kinesis frame (assuming I try it out and it fits – although from where dude has his seat, it looks like it won’t)

And I’ve always love the look and feel on the Genesis Mantle 10 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genesis/mantle-10-2014-mountain-bike-ec055524 but it’s nearing the stop end of my price range for what seems like not as good a spec as some.

Sorry for the seemingly endless rant, I’ve just overloaded myself!

Cheers,

DC

neilwheel
    Free Member

As you have found out, there is too much choice at this level.

I’m not sure there are many 650B options in your price range yet. Sounds like a 29er would suit you best.

Have you made a short list, either on paper or digital, for both what you would like and specific bikes that match those criteria. You need to make those choices first and having too many options in the brain will cloud your vision.

Discount any bikes that are not suitable, wrong type, or wrong size, like the Kinesis.

Bear in mind that most second hand bikes will require some work.

thatcastrochap
    Free Member

That’s good advice Neil. I think just writing that post made my life a bit easier!

So it needs to be:

Lighter than my Vulcan (14.7kg+!)
    Half-decent fork (or upgradeable)
    Decent brakes
    Ideally not from Halfords

Currently my top trumps look like:

Voodoo Bizango
    Genesis Mantle 10 (2014)
    Canondale Trail SL2

The voodoo weighs about the same as my Vulcan, but with a better fork.
    I love the mantle, but wonder whether it might be a bit much for what I need.

You’re right though, simplifying makes this a lot easier.

cinnamon_girl

Have you thought of buying from the Classifieds? If you’re not in a massive hurry then you could end up with some decent kit.

thatcastrochap
    Free Member

Cinnamon_girl:

Yeah, I’ve been keeping track but not a lot’s come up the now. I know, patience is a virtue, and believe me I’d MUCH rather buy it off someone here than a shop! So I’m going to keep my ear to the ground while I look around elsewhere too…

slackalice
    Free Member

Given that you mentioned the SL2, it might be worth your while (although potentially lots more confusion!) checking out Paul’s Cycles, they have lots of offers on non-current bikes, ie 2013 and older.

Paul’s Cycles Link

thatcastrochap
    Free Member

slackalice:

That’s actually where I found the SL2, that’s the reason I mentioned it – on Paul’s Cycles it seemed like a decent spec for a decent price. I don’t care about what year something comes from as long as it’s a decent bike, you know?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Second hand sales usually drop off until the autumn, if you want to wait.

thatcastrochap
    Free Member

That’s actually a really useful tip Neil, cheers!

Thanks all for letting me wade through the mud of it all. Can’t wait to get even further stuck in around Surrey – better start planning my trip to the Lakes or Wales from here!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New-ish-bie bike advice’ is closed to new replies.