Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • new front tyre reccomendation
  • spawnofyorkshire

went for a ride on sunday and found the front mountain king 2 (wire bead) that came with my bike just offered me no grip on the slippy pennine rocks. It’s been fine over summer but not providing what i need now.
    I’m looking for something that can give me a bit more confidence on the rocks yet can still clear mud.
    Bit strapped so something around £20 would be good

Pridds

High roller 2.35 supertacky Single ply for £22.95 from nextdaytyres. One of these or a High Roller 2 are great for me on the front. Loads of grips on rocks and not too bad in the mud, but i live in the Lakes so performance on wet rock rather than mud is the main priority.
    It’s listed as 26 x 2.35 Wire-On 42a ST SPC on this page
    http://www.nextdaytyres.com/Tyres/Maxxis/High-Roller.aspx?ID=45

patriotpro
    Free Member

Hans Dampf

ryanctj
    Free Member

High Roller 2 great on rocks don’t know how well it stands up to extreme mud though

patriotpro
    Free Member

ryanctj – Who’s doing HRIIs for £20?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I thought I’d get laughed at for suggesting a HR on the front, but I put one on a few weeks ago and am currently riding with more confidence on my local rocky and slightly muddy terrain.

I’m pleasantly surprised!

The Specialized tyres are good for the money too.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I have a lightly used Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 …. £13 posted…….

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Rubber Queen Black Chilli 2.2.

I can’t believe how grippy the damn thing is, it’s possibly the best tyre I’ve ever ridden up front.

ETA, sorry, saw your price requirment.

In that case, a used Maxxis Advantage 2.25.

Netdonkey

Paul,

Could be interested in the Rocket Ron if it is still for sale? any chance you could email me (in profile) if it is still for sale?

nosedive
    Free Member

supertacky minion. a little draggy on tarmac and fireroads, and they do wear a little quickly. But stick amazingly, especially on rocks. and suprising light (though I wouldn’t suggest the kevlar version if you are tubeless, didn’t work so well for me.)

Edit – £25 on CRC, a little over budget

akira

On one smorgasborg going cheap in sticky version at the moment, considering one for my 29er.

spawnofyorkshire

ok i’m still undecided on what to get. I’m finding tyre choice really confusing as there’s more than a few tyre companies, compounds, tread patterns etc.
    I’ve narrowed it down to smorgasboard trail extreme or minnion stc however aren’t they basically the same tyre? They seem to have identical tread patterns and i’ve read that maxis make the smorgasboard for on one

nosedive
    Free Member

just had a look at the smorgasboard, they aren’t the same as minions. seem like good value \ weight for the price though

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

loving my minions.. i used high rollers a bit this year but never again. At least not on the front anyway, seem to work for some people but i find the steady breakaway of the minions really predictable and easy to work with.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘new front tyre reccomendation’ is closed to new replies.