Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New forks for a 2008 Five
  • scuttler

Hi,

I’m looking for some forks to replace the 130mm RS Recon Airs on my 2008 Five. I ride in The Peak and Lakes and have always been reasonably happy with the Recons. Requirements are

– a bit stiffer and possibly bigger mrs
    – non-tapered (Traditional 1 1/8”?)
    – lazy maintenance (wipe, oil seals, pump, wipe)
    – happy to buy ‘last years’ model
    – not fussed about loads of fiddly options – lockout is good
    – budget about 350 quid but happy to spend 250 if it gets me what I want

I’m figuring Sektors or Revs but I can’t figure out all the options. Some questions besides what to buy

– Currently got Pro II hubs – can I convert the front to Maxle and if so only certain sizes or am I better off buying a new wheel?
    – Should the Mono Mini brakes swap straight over I will I need spacers and fiddly stuff (will probably get a mechanic to fit them)
    – Any other major considerations for new forks? Will 150mm mess up the handling much?

Ta.

tonyg2003

Hi. I have a 2009 Five. Running 150mm Revs and maxle. Handling is still great and they are plenty stiff enough.

jam-bo

i’m running lyriks spaced down to 140.

unstableJ
    Free Member

If it’s a 2008 that’s before they slackened off the head angle so you can 160 travel fine, it won’t “mess up the handling”

question is whether you’re happy with what you’ve got ‘cos longer forks will slacken the front end a bit

elliptic
    Free Member

Currently running 150 Revs on my ’05 Five, with offset shock bushings to knock another degree off the angles and lower the BB back down to where it should be. Only issue was keeping the bars at a reasonable height for all round trail riding due to the long headtube, eventually settled on 720mm flats and an upside down 8° stem.

Took it for a week in the Sierra Nevada (steep, loose, rocky) and it was an absolute blast 🙂

scuttler

Thanks all so far. Bump for the evening crowd.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New forks for a 2008 Five’ is closed to new replies.