• This topic has 130 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • New Evil Bikes 29er!
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I want this thing!
    I know there’s a few Uprising owners here, any reason I shouldn’t get one? CS issues supposedly sorted, have had some contact with Luismi at Evil Europe, seems good.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Nice looking bike.

Truly Awful
    YouTube video! (IMO)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

any reason I shouldn’t get one?

Yeah, Batman doesn’t like them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Maybe check to see what the max tyre clearance is as that’s what put me off the Uprising as it was a tight fit with 2.3. Otherwise gorgeous bike 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOL6C4-7ZQ&sns=em[/video]
    Sounds perfect…..I would’nt touch one with a bargepole.

showerman
    Free Member

looks like a lot going on down there hope the bearings last as could get expensive to repair

6079smithw
    Free Member

Would rather have a Cube HPC Stereo 29er

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Maybe check to see what the max tyre clearance is as that’s what put me off the Uprising as it was a tight fit with 2.3.

All good on that front it seems, newer Uprisings have different rear triangles too

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-evil-bikes-the-following-2015.html

kimbers

not convinced by that mud clearance?

pinetree
    Free Member

6079smithw – Member

I wouldn’t.

chakaping
    Free Member

I am not a fan of the looks at all, and the suspension layout appears very complicated – whereas my preference these days is to go simpler with the best shock and good mud clearance instead.

chakaping
    Free Member

“The DELTA sytem has been simplified over previous versions”

I’d be interested to see how they managed to make it any more complicated.

😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Be interesting to put them both in a race…

For what snaps first.

chiefgrooveguru

Fits a big tyre for dry seasons only – would actual mud clearance lead to unfashionably long chainstays?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

That’s a Nobby Nic on there too.

Hans Dampf would b tight covered in mud!

MSP

any reason I shouldn’t get one?

The spesh camber evo!

mattjg
    Free Member

Like.

Not sure it’s for UK winters though.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Camber is a different beast, certainly on paper. Evil is significantly slacker for a start. Both nice, but not really comparable IMO

MSP

Camber evo is slacker than a camber, the evil is slacker still, but I reckon they are pretty much in the same market segment.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Would hate to have to maintain that through winter. I can’t believe people actually buy these bikes; definitely a heart over head purchase, especially since a hardtail is enough bike for three quarters of UK MTBers.

sillyoldman

Wouldn’t touch an Evil personally Doug. They’ve not exactly got a good track record have they?

bikeneil
    Free Member

especially since a hardtail is enough bike for three quarters of UK MTBers.

A horse and cart is enough for most drivers but you don’t see many of them around.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

definitely a heart over head purchase, especially since a hardtail is enough bike for three quarters of UK MTBers

I live in the other quarter. I’m also pretty irrational. Perfect bike?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think I have made my mind up that the Uprising will be my next bike. I don’t really get the mud clearance thing, if you are riding a trail that needs mud clearance you are probably doing more harm than necessary to the trail and it cant be that much fun. Rocky trails will always be more fun than muddy ones.

legend
    Free Member

This ^ is definitely the most bullshit I’ve read in 2015

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A horse and cart is enough for most drivers but you don’t see many of them around.

mattjg
    Free Member

Heart says: want that bike.

Head says: through the roof expensive, complex suspension maintenance headaches, spares probably unavailable, probably best in dust not mud. Walk away.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I like the look of it. I wouldn’t buy it personally but it’s the type of bike I’m looking for at present in regards to being a slack, low, short-to-medium travel 29er made of plastic.

Get it bought Doug 😈

toons
    Free Member

I reckon the Following will be a completely different bike to the camber evo due to the shorter chainstays.

_tom_
    Free Member

29ers are still pretty ugly. I think only Banshee have managed to make a nice looking one with the Prime.

mattjg
    Free Member

I reckon the Following will be a completely different bike to the camber evo due to the shorter chainstays.

You’re right, 430mm vs 451mm. They’re not comparable.

chiefgrooveguru

Evil people, this is how to do tyre clearance on short travel slack angled 29er:

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Heart says: want that bike.

Head says: through the roof expensive, complex suspension maintenance headaches, spares probably unavailable, probably best in dust not mud. Walk away.
    My heart says the same thing….

My head says it’s not through the roof expensive. The Uprising is £2k for a frame only, when you consider that you’ll pay £2.6k for a Tallboy C or £3k for an Enduro frame, that’s pretty reasonable…in the realms of ridiculously priced bicycles anyway.

I also don’t agree with the complexity thing, there’s little more going on than you’d get on any multi pivot bike, it’s just concentrated in a small area so it appears more complex. There’s 4 pivots on the Evil, same as on a VPP or a horst bike.

Clearance I’ll admit could be better but I don’t see it as a deal breaker, but essentially whatever anyone says I’m still going to want it! First hand opinions seem mixed, though second hand opinions all seem negative.

AlexSimon

In one of the ‘first looks’ they reckon there’s 10mm clearance all around a 2.3 Hans Dampf – that sounds pretty good to me.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s essentially the same as an old Commencal Meta linkage system but shuffled about a bit, isn’t it?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It’s essentially the same as an old Commencal Meta linkage system but shuffled about a bit, isn’t it?

You could argue most of the suspension systems out there are the same as each other, just shuffled about a bit.
    So from that regard, probably yes. From the perspective of whether that shuffling about has a major impact on difference in performance, probably yes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, yes. I was more making the point for the haterz (© Cynic-al) that it’s not actually that complicated. Three of the bolts that look like pivots are just for a flip link to adjust geometry, the rest is the same complexity as a lot of linkage single pivots.

mattjg
    Free Member

@tenacious_dog thanks for the objection debunking

Mud clearance (within reason) is not a deal breaker for me either, I have a rigid ss for the worst muddy days anyway, I love it so always will.

Are Evil owners dependent on a shop for service or is DIY viable? I avoid shop dependence as much as possible.

Edit: looks like Canfield are on the case, good news as I’m a Canfield fanboi: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Sneak-Peek-2015-Canfield-Brothers-Riot-29er-FS,294

legend
    Free Member

The shop dependence is purely to make warranty returns easier

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Perhaps not so much debunking, as a point of view, but like I said, I think my heart is ruling my head on this one!

There’s nothing about the Evil that would make it any more difficult to DIY than any other bike, and given there is no Evil dealers in the whole of Scotland, I wouldn’t have much option anyway!

Also, Canfield looks v interesting, but I’ve already agreed to selling my old bike to a mate in spring so can’t really wait till late Summer which is their eta.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘New Evil Bikes 29er!’ is closed to new replies.