Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Drivetrain Time – Whats Best bang for buck?
  • Paul-S
    Free Member

During last nights ride the chain started jumping off the big chain ring, this was because the teeth don’t seem to be there any more.

It’s Shimano 2 x 10, should I replace it or go for the in vogue 1x setup.

Anyone know of any deals?

Fortunately this has happened 2 weeks before the DyFi rather than the day before so I have a chance to fix it :-).

P.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personal preference, SRAM GX, at the good value end of things and not boat anchor weights

Murray

I’m going for SRAM GX with Sunrace cassette as I want 11-46 on the 29er

cynic-al
    Free Member

bang for buck – deore

prawny

Been impressed with the SLX on my new bike, always preferred Shimano though. And I’m too poor/tight to fork out for and XD wheelset or the ongoing replacement cassette cost. Obviously you could use GX everything else and an NX cassette if you wanted to go down the SRAM route.

eshershore
    Free Member

had 2 x 10 on my last bike – Shimano XT

got 1 x 11 on my new bike – shimano SLX

it took a new chainring (34t) to get the gearing right, the 30t the bike came with was going nowhere fast

don’t have the range of 2 x 10 or SRAM 11 speed, but it works well and the cadence change between gears feels great

might get 2 x 11 if needs must…

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

GX or SLX

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Grab the Sram NX drivetrain off a Laura Trott MTB 1, perhaps even the Raidon fork as well, sell whatever is surplus to requirements?

£350 less BC discount. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/laura-trott-mtb-1-womens-mountain-bike

Paul-S
    Free Member

If I wanted to go Ghetto 1x up front what would I need to get? Just a narrow/wide Chainring?

Yes I know the rest of the drivetrain will be trashed.

andyl
    Free Member

just get some new chainrings? (and chain and cassette of course)

10 speed stuff is cheap as chips.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Yes, just swap out the chainring and then resist the urge to use the left shifter to change chainrings. I’ve still got all the 2x bits in place, but swapped the 38T 104BCD for a 34T One One Ringmaster.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Deore, not cool enough (or expenisve enough) for some though

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Drivetrain Time – Whats Best bang for buck?’ is closed to new replies.