Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New digital SLR – tips and resources for beginner
  • organic355
    Free Member

Got my 1st DSLR on Friday (Canon 700D – I refrained from spending more, as was previously looking at the xxD, XD range, I will get one later ;-)).

So any good online resources, tips etc for a beginner to help me get off auto mode?

Currently only got the 18-55 STM lense it came with which is OK for now. will invest in some better lenses once I decide what it is I will be shooting most. I like macro stuff, abstract, street photography and maybe some landscape. So a bit of everything just now!

matt_outandabout

Get a good bag and strap.

organic355
    Free Member

it came with a strap and bag, this one: whether its good or not is another question, but it will do for now:

d45yth
    Free Member

This vid covers a lot:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ap7qnQHIuXI[/video]

Oh, I’d recommend that you buy a UV filter to protect your lens if you haven’t already. I use the Hoya Pro-1’s, which can be bought for less than £20 on Amazon.

stufive
    Free Member

When i was into it i used to get DP magazine it always had great video tutorials with every issue, i dont know if they still do, filters are fun and creating HDR’s in photoshop sigma lenses are very good as a slightly less expensive option to the canon range

durhambiker
    Free Member

+1 on the Sigma lenses. On top of the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my 400D, I’ve got the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, and the Sigma 105 f2.8 Macro. “Cheap” compared to a lot of other options on the market, but decent lenses too. Also running the very cheap and cheerful Canon 50mm f1.8, cost about £50.

Bag-wise I’m a fan of the Lowe Pro Slingshot series, though I’ve also got a Lowe Pro bag similar to the Canon bag you’ve shown there. The Slingshots are great for fast access without having to remove the bag.

I progressed away from Auto mode mainly using Av mode. Decide what sort of depth of field I want, and let the camera work out the rest. Then take it onwards from there.

organic355
    Free Member

d45yth I came across that video earlier, have saved for future viewing

Cougar

I progressed away from Auto mode mainly using Av mode. Decide what sort of depth of field I want, and let the camera work out the rest. Then take it onwards from there.

Pretty much what I did too.

organic355
    Free Member

Are courses worth it? or is the trial and error option always better?

jam-bo

Oh, I’d recommend that you buy a UV filter to protect your lens if you haven’t already. I use the Hoya Pro-1’s, which can be bought for less than £20 on Amazon.

Yep. I’d also recommend spending a lot of money on precision optics and then putting a cheap bit of glass on the front…

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Talk Photography is a good resource, like most websites you get some silly sods, but some good advice available.

Don’t waste money on filters and invest in a decent tripod and head plus a remote shutter release. So many different bags, personally prefer rucksack types, not keen on taking weight on one shoulder.
    Don’t forget spare memory card and battery, might also want to get a nicer strap, Optech are good for the money

Photoplus for Canon is a useful magazine although like most it gets repeated after 12-18 months

Photoshop Elements is a decent editing software package, not too expensive either

Decent book is worth buying, lots of people recommend Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I thought it was poor and missed out some important aspects of modern digital photography for instance the histogram and highlight alert.
    This one is excellent Book although entitled Landscape it explains exposure really well and understanding that is fundamental in getting a good photo.

Most of all just enjoy it and don’t go pixel peeping at 100% magnification otherwise you might go bonkers.

One last thing it can get a rather expensive hobby, good lenses last for years, have agreat effect on image quality so better spending money on them rather than the camera body.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

be brave, enter the fully manual world and get taking pictures. Learn the relationship between shutter speed and aperture. Also experiment with ISOs.

The more you take, the more you will learn and with digital, you can take thousands!

soundninjauk

Always shoot RAW, and try out the trial version of Adobe Lightroom, and possibly Aperture if you’re on a Mac. You’ll be amazed with the possibilities.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New digital SLR – tips and resources for beginner’ is closed to new replies.