Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New Cotic Soul
  • SBrock
    Free Member

Well I’ve pulled the trigger on a new Cotic Soul in orange, have a Reba RLT 120mm 15 mm maxle to fit, a lot of components from my old bike will be used but building it with:

Flows/High Rollers 60a tubeless
    X9
    Stylo double
    Elixir CR brakes
    Thomson post/stem

This will be my only bike now for local trails/trail centres and the odd day out in the Peak District, I know the Soul can take some abuse but I’ve been riding a 6″ FS in the peaks for the last few years, so my skills will need improving?

Any guesses at the weight?

Cheers

Scamper
    Free Member

Well, mine is 26.5 lbs but running minions on arch ex, 1×9, elixir r and thomson. So 28lbs?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mid 20′?s 28 seems high, my pitch is 32 with Lyrics, so the frame and fork alone are probaly 4lb heavier. Then theres the dropper post, heavy(ish) wheels, chain device, flat pedals, chunky saddle, and the rest of the build was picked allong the lines of being strong rather than light.

Skills, naaaaaa, I find my Pitch harder work than my hardtails, mainly becasue you approach everything at mach 4, whereas the hardtail keeps the speeds sensible enough that you can jusdge things before you hit them. But then I spent 10 years on various hardtails so that kind of riding always feels more natural, the Pitch is just quick!

Scamper
    Free Member

Oh, and mine has 20mm Maxle Revs which are only about 80g heavier than my previous Reba QR

SBrock
    Free Member

I’m not to fussed about the weight to be honest, but I was just interested in what it would be!

slimjim78
    Free Member

not weighed my Soul, but running Reba maxle 120’s and 1×9, on a tubeless hope/crest set up, and im honestly blown away how nimble & light it feels for a steel framed bike.

considering the fork isn’t a featherweight, the front end lifts with the merest hint of input.

i’d be surprised if mine was over 25lb. I reckon closer to 23

honourablegeorge

Mine’s the lightest bike I’ve ever had. I feel like I’ll crumple it.

Vortexracing

here is mine

P1040580 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040611 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Your Reba is about the same as my rev’s, but you dont have a Reverb so I guess yours to be high 24lbs maybe very low 25lbs, as my cranks weigh sod all

chiefgrooveguru

Mine’s just over 26lbs – 1×10 but Float 140s, Gravity Dropper, Flows, Rubber Queen 2.2 X-King 2.4 tubeless, Vault flats, Hope M4s and bearings.

Scamper
    Free Member

SlimJim – i’ve had mine down to 23.7lb with a light 1×9 summer build so with your crests 23lb is possible without going stupid. Usually mine is just over 24lb with summer tyres on, but its now in Alp spec 😀

chiefgrooveguru

…but its now in Alp spec.

Having only ever been to the Alps when they’re snowy, I describe my similar build as gravity enduro spec!

SBrock
    Free Member

I reckon 25lb then great!!!!

Scamper
    Free Member

When i say Alp spec for my Soul, this is all relative! I will probebly still die 😀

honourablegeorge

I’m guessing mine is 23, based on Vortex’s build there – I have Nobby Nics, no Reverb, Crests instead of Arch, and no front mech/shifter.

vorlich
    Free Member

Nobody is mentioning frame size! Hard to get an idea of what is heavy/light if we don’t know what size the frame is.

FWIW, mine is quite heavy @ 27.2lb. Spec as follows:

Large Soul [mk II]
    Fox TALAS 120/150 QR15
    Hope Hoops/Stans Flow
    ST Maxxis High Roller/ Bonty Mud X, both Tubeless
    2×9 SLX Double with Hope bash
    F+R XT Mechs and SRAM PG980 cassette
    Thomson 50mm 4x Stem and 400mm seatpost
    Charge Spoon
    Hope headset and Clamp
    Sunline V1 745 bars
    Formula Mega 203/180mm
    Blackspire Stinger

chiefgrooveguru

Mine’s a medium. I haven’t chased low weights with the build but I have kept an eye on things – the components have gradually gone from XC to AM (sorry!) but I’ve tried to err on the side of strong/stiff but still light without getting stupid expensive.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m guessing the extra ~1lb in yours is from the bars (Haven Carbon here), brakes (size smaller here), front mech/shifter/granny, TALAS, Stinger vs N-Gear and larger frame (despite no dropper).

SBrock
    Free Member

Well my frame (medium) is at LBS having headset/fork fitted, I’m on nights tonight and tomo night so hopefully pick it up Saturday afternoon to finish the build Saturday night ready for its maiden voyage Sunday morning, muchly excited,

Medium Orange frame
    Reba RLT 120mm w 15mm maxle & poploc
    Cane creek 10 headset
    Thomosn stem 70mm
    Thomson inline post
    Fiziik Gobi
    Stylo double cranks
    X9 shifter
    X9 rear mech
    Pc971
    XT cassette
    SLX front mech
    Elixir cr 185/160 rotors
    Hope hoops with flows
    Maxxis high rollers 60a
    Syncros gain bars

Scamper
    Free Member

Does size make a difference to weight? I was told my small was only 40g or so lighter than a medium if i recall

hilton83
    Free Member

Mmm, vortex that looks so so nice, Need a kidney at all?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New Cotic Soul’ is closed to new replies.