Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New chain problem sucking up into front ring
  • deano8
    Free Member

Just fitted a new xtr 9 speed chain to xt cassette.
    Problem is it’s sucking up around the front ring.
    Pretty sure it’s the same type of chain as before.
    Could the thick shimano oil coating cause it to suck in?
    If not anyone any ideas please?

jekkyl

Classic problem with new chain on worn rings. The answer is very simple: change the chain ring(s)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Classic problem with new chain on worn rings. The answer is very simple: change the chain ring(s)

^^This

Until your chain wears to your rings the problem won’t go away without replacing rings (and cassette whilst you’re at it? – IME you’ll replace the rings and suddenly have skip/slip which wasn’t there whilst you had the chain suck). Of course by the time your chain reaches the point is worn enough to not suck, if you’re a regular chain changing rather than an occasional full drive train changing type, you’ll want to replace the worn chain again any how.

deano8
    Free Member

Thank you for your reply, it’s just a single ring thankfully

m6dwn
    Free Member

As above, change the ring – the worn chainring teeth hook the new chain causing suck.

jekkyl

I tried the ‘have 3 chains, change it after every other ride’ for a while but still got skipping. Now I change the chain and cassette at the same time and wear them into the ground with usually a new middle ring at the same time too.

joolsburger
    Free Member

You might be able to get a bit more life out of it by reversing the ring but best to change it.

deano8
    Free Member

Should I spend more money on a narrow wide, would it be of any benefit over a renthrel ring?

nealy
    Free Member
    welshfarmer

As above. Happened to me just the other day! New ring cured it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New chain problem sucking up into front ring’ is closed to new replies.