Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New car advice please? small car for bike carrying!
  • rhid

I know this topic has been covered a lot but I am not very car minded so would like a bit of pointing in the right direction!

I would like to swap my fiat panda for something a bit bigger in diesel. My gf has a Clio which I like and I saw some of the new Dacia’s yesterday and especially liked the sandero and stepaway.

So my question is does anyone have one of the Dacia’s and how are they for bikes and general use? Also What other small cars are good for bike duties? I have a roof rack on my panda but the minimum criteria for a small car = 1 dh bike in the back with wheels of!

wiggles
    Free Member

What is the reason for wanting to have a small car?

Just asking as I recently got a berlingo, was actually cheaper to insure than all of the usual small cars, tax and fuel are not far off to. So small cars aren’t always cheapest.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im a dacia fan but be aware of residual value – which looks good atm but youll notice its all dealers sellingmthe,min autotraders- very few private sales- that drives the price up and makes new dacias look like a good buy , parts costs and the big one for me – safety ratings – i dont mind buying a used car with poor safety but if im buying a new one it will best be safe…..

Inbred456
    Free Member

The safety rating of the Dacia is mainly due to the fact that they don’t have stability control in the lower spec models. This affects the overall safety rating of the model. Pedestrian safety lowers the ncap rating as well. The overall crash protection for the occupants is as good as any other as long as the model has stability control. I looked into buying a 1.5 dci laureate 4×4. Based on the Qashqai. Looked into the safety rating and tried to decide if they are good value for money if you take into account the resale and depreciation. Figured I would have to keep it till I had to scrap it! Which I figured wouldn’t be that long based on Renault mechanicals.

rhid

I like smaller cars plus where I live something smaller is more practical than a large estate! I havent really considered a small van but its something I will look into. How much space for complete bikes is in the berlingo? Can 2 get in there easily?

I did like the stepaway a lot but the budget sandero would probably be fine for my needs. Cars don’t really excited me that much so I have never really cared what I drive! Any more input regarding Dacia’s would be much appreciated plus any other advice!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can get 2 in very easily – 3 isnt hard and 6 if you take front wheels off… Never tried with both wheels out and bars turned but it would be a few. I used to get 2 in and still have room to sleep down the lhs of mine.

rhid

Trail rat – sorry what do you have? A berlingo?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a partner – same as berlingo. Its mk2 so smaller than current berlingo

I saw on another thread hat if you get the fancy internal roof pockets then its pia to get bikes in though.

rhid

I like the look of the partner. Is it OK as an everyday car too?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Assuming you dont mean 100 mile a day commute then yes. Although i once did a 70 mile a day commute in mine

Drove to bourg d ossans in mine from aberdeen and felt better than driving to wales in any of my previous cars.

Mines the 1.9d they dont do them any more but its on 85k on clock and bar servicing ( cheap consumables) its cost me a wheel bearing , spring and strut top bearing – all on one side as i was forced off the dual carridge way by a tractor veering out of lane as i passed ! ) and an exhaust.

wiggles
    Free Member

Can easily fit a bike with wheels on with only one of the 3 rear seats down in the berlingo (2010 multispace) only have one yo try but think could get 3 with wheels on.

Used to have an astra and even with all the back seats down could barely get one in with the front wheel off. It doesn’t really feel bigger to drive and park, it’s more the height that makes it so much easier to load.

maxtorque

Does it have to be new? some amazing “nearly new” bargains to be had at the moment, as the dealers are desperate to sell anything after the Christmas slump!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New car advice please? small car for bike carrying!’ is closed to new replies.