Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New BMX bike for 10 year old, recommendations.
  • tinsy
    Free Member

My lad fancies a BMX for the skatepark, budget is a bit meagre at £250 and as he is 10 & a novice BMX'r weight is more of an issue than outright durability..

From here what's the best buys? http://www.alansbmx.com/

Or any other recommendations received with thanks.

Also if your an old BMX'r check out the old school stuff, got some lovely bikes I would still like myself!!

tinsy
    Free Member

ps, if santa is reading this, can I have this please I have been very good. 🙂

incognito
    Free Member

I paid £245 at our local bike shop for a Mongoose Thrive. It has the small ring for clearance. Thoroughly recommended.

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/bmx/Products/BMX/Details/2847-M10THR-Thrive

incognito
    Free Member

apic

tinsy
    Free Member

I did look it up, i like it, will run it past the lad thank you.

Anything else out there?

tracknicko
    Free Member

new or secondhand? i have a £350 WTP that you can have for your budget…

alex222
    Free Member

You should look for frames and forks that are full chromo. We the People are very good. I think that the Diamond Backs are good value for money also. I have more or less a full fly diabalo, everything except the bars and cranks. Its a full chromo frame with sealed hubs and a hub with a freehub. Not after much.

geoffj

I paid £245 at our local bike shop for a Mongoose Thrive. It has the small ring for clearance. Thoroughly recommended.

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/eng/bmx/Products/BMX/Details/2847-M10THR-Thrive

The 14 year old lad, next door got one last week. It's OK, but I'm struggling to see the price in the production TBH. Cheap nasty plastic pedals and the paint is already coming off the front rim.

tinsy
    Free Member

If I was buying for me I would do 2nd hand (everything I ride is), but its his birthday gift not sure he would see the 2nd hand thing as good..

I dont get the painted braking surfaces either, his mate has a newish bike thats looking shabby already because of it, I should have paid more attention to what the bike was as it was pretty heavy too. The Thrive doesnt have a front brake though so should stay nice for quite a while.

incognito
    Free Member

The 14 year old lad, next door got one last week. It's OK, but I'm struggling to see the price in the production TBH. Cheap nasty plastic pedals and the paint is already coming off the front rim.

I couldn't disagree more, it has a sealed headset, cnc'd stem and is lovely and light. If you fit the front brake (my son's isn't) on a painted rim it's going to take the paint off. my mates son has a united with a painted front rim. that would do the same.

I replaced the pdeals on my sons with some scarey looking metal things from crc but tbh the plastic pedals are more than man enough.

incognito
    Free Member

it does come with a front brake, it's up to you if you fit it.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Go for a Mongoose and get the shop to fit some metal platforms.

You can't go wrong with a Mongoose.

I had a menace for Christmas about fifteen years ago, I cried the day I sold it.

The EDIT lokks pretty good to my aged BMXer eyes.

Here

rep341
    Free Member

Fit or Mirra Co are lighter bikes aimed at a younger less muscley age.
    Should make it easier for the rider to throw about a bit.
    Still bomber strong just better set for a younger kid

tinsy
    Free Member

Mirraco, good shout never heard of them, but a bike desinged for a little lad will def help him develop.

bargain too. http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mirraco-fivestar-intro-item151434.html

rep341
    Free Member

ctracking price for the mirra co- my daughter wants another street bmx for her b/day- think I just found it! 🙂

She had a hoffman rhythm before but that was 18" wheel- still great bike though
    She now races on an Intense! wee bugger 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

Unless your boy is freakishly tall you definitely want to be getting him an 18" wheel model.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New BMX bike for 10 year old, recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.