Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New bike time
  • northerntom
    Free Member

So, after much deliberation on what new bike to buy, I think I’ve made my mind up, the canyon strive cf9.0 race in blue. Currently riding a Nukeproof mega, great bike but fancy something lighter and a bit more nimble, but still with the ability to plow when things get fullgnar. I race quite a lot in the UK, both Enduro and DH.

So many bikes out there, and value wise it seems as good as any. I’m also keen on a bottle cage mount, so the Capra is out of the window. My Mega is a large sized frame, so I assume the large strive is going to be the way to go, but ideally would like to try one, does anyone in the south east, specifically surrey rider have one I could have a quick spin on, Beer/pies are on offer in return, or a spin on the mega if wanted.

Any other suggestions on bikes before I bite the bullet? Budget is £4k, and want something that will come under 30lbs, with 150mm travel +.

Tom

martymac

at 4k i would want to go and ride it for a day first, thats a good wedge like.
    and maybe some alternatives too, although i cant tell you about any examples.

EDIT: i didnt read op properly, i see that you are actually looking to have a ride on one, sorry.

northerntom
    Free Member

so my mate has a canyon strive, I know how capable a bike it is. Sadly, he is 5″5, i’m 5″11, so sizewise it’s not great.

I doubt i’ll buy untill I try one, but that’s part of the risk. The model I’m looking at I can get for £3.4k, any other manufacturer would cost £4k+ for that spec.

cokie

Whyte G160 Works at bang on £4k. I’ve heard of people getting substantial discounts on this though.
    Spec is good, designed for the UK, lots of mud clearance and I love how they ride.

stevied
    Free Member

My mate has had a one for a while now and is 5’9″ riding a small. That’s what they recommended for him.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think I’ve made my mind up, the canyon strive cf9.0 race in blue

You know that they’re not available until january right?

kimbers

kona process 153 DL are on offer at the moment, very good bike

northerntom
    Free Member

5”9 on a small? Never met the guy, but unless he has comedy short limbs, I would say he is on too small a bike. I literally hit my knees when pedalling on the small, and i’m 5”11. Having said that, as long as he’s happy with it, doesn’t really matter.

I know they’re not available till Jan, but not overly fussed about riding this winter, my CX bike is more likely to see action anyway.

The Kona won’t come under 30lbs without extra money, and is a similar bike in terms of handling to the mega.

v666ern
    Free Member

The Kona won’t come under 30lbs without extra money, and is a similar bike in terms of handling to the mega.

thought the frame was WAY lighter this year – it does look gert lush

dan45a
    Free Member

Strive seems a perfect all rounder, mate has one just got back from a basque country bike holiday and was in top form on it, long epic days with long pedaling climbs to some proper technical descents.

But I would also consider the Orbea Rallon X team at this price, our guides used them and were very pedal friendly up hill and seriously quick down.
    http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/rallon-xteam/

I know its not carbon, but comes with a top end spec, and weight wise they genuinely are around 30lb. Felt as light as my carbon SC Nomad and the only bike I saw to pickup and hold that much speed over the rocky stuff like my nomad can.

It’s nice choice to have, some great bikes out there. Enjoy it.

enigmas
    Free Member

Wait until the new nukeproof mega is out in November?

Very few details yet but similar looks to the new pulse according to my lbs, and likely a big weight saving (i think it was around 600g from the pulse).

northerntom
    Free Member

So I probably will wait for the new mega, as guess it’ll have all the new carbon nukeproof finishing kit, but there will be a price hike surely. Also, if it’s got a similar linkage to the pulse, then it’ going to look a bit like the YT capra potentially, meaning no space for a bottle cage…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New bike time’ is closed to new replies.