Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Bike Thread – Critique Welcome :-)
  • Daffy

After 8 years with my old Mojo, it was time for one which coped with newer standards:

Spec:

Large Mojo SL-R,
    Fox Talas 34 650b,
    XTR M9020 drivetrain,
    Light Bicycle 30mm Carbon Rims laced to Chris King hubs with DT Rev spokes,
    Hope Tech 3 E4/X2 brakes with Goodridge braided lines.
    Ibis, Thomson ODI finishing kit

With most bought SH or transferred from the original bike.

25.2lbs with pedals.

Chuffed to bits with it, feels unstoppable and XTR M9000 seems to have a much more satisfying shift feeling to M980. Also loving my return to Hope brakes. So pleasant to use.

qwerty
    Free Member

Very nice.

New standards

But no dropper?

cokie

Lovely bike! Good matching decals too.

I’d change a few things though if it was mine..
    1. Fit a dropped
    2. Lose the rear shock leaver, or if you keep it then move it under the bars on the left.
    3. Go 1×11
    4. Slightly shorter stem.

Gotama
    Free Member

The bike is lovely bar the dropper faux pas BUT….

What is the floor? Looking to lay something similar in our extension.

wrecker
    Free Member

Lose the rear shock leaver,

I thought it was a wing mirror!

Daffy

I do have a dropper for it, but have never really missed having one…

I need to make a new mount for the shock lever to go on the left as I have a deeply unfashionable front shifter.

Can’t really go 1*11 as I’m often towing the munchkin in wither his Chariot or Trailgator which makes some routes around here a challenge.

I’ve gone 1*11 on the Hardtail.

Daffy

The Stem is 70mm, which is a drop from my original 90mm. 50mm just looks and feels weird.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh, lovely bike BTW.

Kryton57

Lovely bike.

Is that a properly measured weight? Its only 200g’s heavier than my 100mm race bike, I must be doing something wrong…

mboy
    Free Member

After 8 years with my old Mojo, it was time for one which coped with newer standards:

Well done on managing to incorporate 2 newer standards, the rest… Well…

-Stem’s too long, get a 50mm on there, if it feels too short the bike is too small and you need to go a size up.
    -Too many gears… Everyone else ditched their front mechs years ago, you sir will be laughed at in the trail centre carpark!
    -Lose the remote levers for the fork and rear shock. Nobody uses these any more, we expect our bikes to pedal well without having to faff about with a lever. The fact yours has its own area code is of some concern too, it’s longer than the (already too long) stem! The only remote lever allowed on the bars (well, other than Rear shifter and brake levers) should be for a Dropper post…
    -Dropper post… XC race boys are running them even these days! I’d fit one to anything short of a road bike.
    -MOAR wider bars… Can’t see how wide yours are, but however wide they are, they’re not wide enough! If you wanna hang with the cool kids in the carpark, cos none of you can ride the trails cos your bars are too wide, then you need to be fitting 800mm+ bars now!
    -Pedals without any kind of platform… It’s acceptable on XC race bikes, but the rest of us should all be running some kind of platform. Looks like you’re a Time user, so check out the Time MX4’s and the like.

Take the above as seriously or as tongue in cheek as you like. Honestly, who gives a crap! If you enjoy it, who cares… Orange hubs and nipples on a bike with blue on it though… Hmmm… Plus point for Orange being the in colour of the moment, but minus point for the severe colour clash between orange and blue!

rOcKeTdOg

lovely, but it’s still a bit 2013

oh and i’d be putting some protection under that rear braided hose nestling on the carbon seatstay if it was mine

firestarter
    Free Member

Orange and blue clash… Bah…

wwaswas

feels unstoppable

I’m sure the brakes will bed in with time 😉

I’d run the brake hose inside the rear triangle if possible – looks vulnerable where it is (even braided).

otherwise – looks lovely 🙂

tazzymtb

Nice bike, not my cup of tea, but the important thing is that it will make you smile. Stuff fashion, or the need for latest hip thing of “it neeeeeds to be a fatbike or gnar sled or 27.5 or unobtanium multi linkage boiny thing” just ride the hell out of it and enjoy every moment

Daffy

Loving mboy’s comprehensive feedback.

I’ll probably lose the rear shock lever, I’ve vnver used one, but I’d need to buy a flick nipple for the shock. The bars are 760mm, which is plenty for me. It’s already a PITA to move around the house.

Personally, I’m a fan of a little clash over matching everything; hence the wheels. I also ran the same Mango hubs on the lime green Mojo…it looked like a packet of Ticktacks.

Rocketdog – that’s the only reason I’ve not been out on it yet, I’m still waiting for the helitape to arrive.

Wwaswas – I can’t run it inside with a 160mm rotor, the angle of the hose is horrendous. If I decide to up to a 180, the hose would be ran inside the triangle.

Daffy

Kryton – as weighed on my Topeak Prepstand Elites scales. They measure a litre of water at 978g, so they do slightly underread.

lucky7500

Very nice, Mojo bikes really are a beautiful shape!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That bike cost more than my car…and my bike 🙁

Kryton57

That bike cost more than my car…and my bike

Oh thats where I’m going wrong, I’m a cheapskate.

Enjoy OP!

tomnavman
    Free Member

That bike cost more than my car

Rule 25

Daffy

bongohoohaa – Member
    That bike cost more than my car…and my bike

I’d be willing to wager it cost a lot less than you imagine.

PrinceJohn

That’s lovely, personally I would’ve gone for Rock Shox & a dropper, & probably shimano brakes & a slightly shorter stem… bet it’s still lovely.

kayak23

Needs a dropper.

Shock lever is aesthetically offensive.

Too many gears and consequently cables.

Points lost for getting the same bike as last one and not being adventurous.

Shame not to fill and flush the screw countersinks in the skirting. Would have really lifted the whole clean and minimal look you have there.

Nice bike.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

high bling trail bikes are soooooo last year daaaaaaaaling, Fat is where its at … from now on! … IMO 😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Keep the front mech, more speed downhill!

Dropper required.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Thread – Critique Welcome :-)’ is closed to new replies.