Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Android phone and sim card (Giffgaff content)
  • theotherjonv

I know there’s loads of advice on their forums but I am a techno luddite and someone on here will have done this recently and can ‘talk’ me through it better.

I have a new Android phone (Xperia Z3C fwiw) that i will be starting up at the weekend. My old Android has a different sized sim so i have a new sim from Giffgaff (keeping number, staying on Giffgaff)

I want to get all my stuff from the old phone to the new one, the new sim activated with my existing number, as painlessly and fast as possible.

Re the Sim and number port – I’ve gleaned I need to do a ‘Simswap’ – which seems relatively easy apart from it may take up to 24 hours. Does it really???

Re: anything stored on the phone. I have a SD card in the old phone with music and photos on, so that can just move across and the now one should recognise it, correct?

And anything else ‘stored’ on the phone – Sony tell me to do a phone backup to a PC and then copy it across, is that the best option or just Sony telling me to use Sony software?

Lastly – all my apps / etc. on chrome, when I log into my google account on the new phone, they automatically come across iirc?

scaredypants

mostly ought to be auomatic, I think

I don’t think phones are daft enough to store any data on their SIM any more are they ?

(have you used any software to move apps to your sd card to spare internal storage ? If so, they might not be transferred easily but I’d expect data to be OK)

I’d still back everything up somewhere first though, maybe even independently of the Sony process in case you press a wrong button or something

nixie

The SD card should move across just fine, you might need to tell the camera on the new phone to store images on the sd card though.

The last few new phones I’ve had came with an automatic transfer feature. You install an app on the old phone then follow the instructions and it transfers everything over for you (not apps but these should be installed from the play store easily enough).

If your contacts are store in gmail this gets synced as soon as you log in (same can happen with other accounts if that’s where you store contacts, e.g. outlook.com or corporate exchange server).

matt_outandabout

Being Android, you just back up everything online. Go through the google account in settings tick every box and just back it up…There are some google apps that help I think as well – but it is dead simple.

Switch on new phone.

Sign in and wait a couple of mins.

All there – contacts, images, emails, apps the whole nine yards.

Simples.

allthepies
    Free Member

Is the new sim smaller than the old? If so then you could cut down the old sim using cheapo sim cutters off the ‘bay (or a mobile shop/stand would do it). That’s what I did when my new phone required a smaller sim profile.

theotherjonv

It is smaller, but the metal contacty bit on the old sim are bigger than the new nano sim. I can’t cut across the metal bits, can I?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

If the phone has never been used on giff gaff before you will need to set up mms and internet. Just follow this guide…..

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Settings-for-your-device/Internet-and-MMS-settings-APN-guide/ta-p/3489121

Whole family now is on GG on windoze, Icrap and Android. Its great.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

your old phone was prob a micro sim…the new one is a nano sim ….you may need to cut just the edge of the metal. I have done loads……just use a very sharp knife. Template here:

http://techotv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/micro-sim-card-to-nano-sim-card.png

its fine to cut the metal if its a “normal” sim to nano sim. See here:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-trim-your-sim-to-iphone-5-nano-sim-size/

allthepies
    Free Member
    theotherjonv

Finally got round to it and the sim swap (transferring number to the nano sim that GG sent with the phone) was a cinch. My worry is that both my parents are in hospital for different reasons currently and GG said the swap could take up to 24 hours, and i didn’t want to be without a mobile that long.

It took about 24 seconds for the new one to become active on the existing number :rollseyes:

24 hours later – the new Z3 compact is brilliant in comparison to the SP it replaced, thanks to dannybgoode and smett72 for convincing me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Android phone and sim card (Giffgaff content)’ is closed to new replies.